PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Fire Fighters

old Grump
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
One dark night outside a small town in South west Wisconsin about 40 miles from my house, a fire started inside a small but prosperous chemical plant and in a blink of an eye it exploded into massive flames.

The alarm went out to all the fire departments for miles around. Even without the alarm the flames could be seen clearly in the night sky and everybody knew what it was and where it was.

When the volunteer fire fighters stated appearing on the scene, the company president Luke Baluk rushed to the fire chief's and said, "All our secret formulas are in the vault in the center of the plant. They must be saved. I will give $50,000 to the fire department that brings them out intact."

But the roaring flames held the firefighters off.

Soon more fire departments arrived and the situation was desperate since it endangered the Swiss fudge factory just down the road and the ashes were coating the surface of the best trout pond in the county.

As the new volunteer firemen arrived, the president shouted out that the offer was now $100,000 to the fire department who could bring out the company's secret files. It was hopeless even with their combined efforts, nobody could enter the plant.

From the distance, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight.

It was the nearby Norwegian rural township volunteer fire company composed entirely of
Norwegians between the ages of 65 to 85. They were the only ones who knew how to run this old truck of theirs so by default they were the fire department for Ringerike township.

To everyone's amazement, that little run-down 1890's steam driven fire engine rolled right past all the newer sleek engines that were parked outside the plant. It didn't even slow down but drove straight into the middle of the inferno.

Outside the other firemen watched as the old Norwegians jumped off right into the middle of the fire and fought it back on all sides. It was a stellar superhuman performance, an effort never seen before by any of these youngsters most of them well under 40 years of age.

Within a short time, the gamle mannskap had extinguished the fire and had saved the secret formulas.

The grateful chemical company president announced that for such a brave and astounding feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave fire fighters.

The local TV news reporter rushed in to capture the event on film, asking their chief,
"What are you going to do with all that money?"

"Vell," said Ole Larsen, the 85-year-old fire chief, "Da first thing ve gonna do is fix da brakes on dat fricking truck!"

Hedning
06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
LOOOL.... Good one OG... You even got the Norwegian words completely correct. One of my dads friends is actually named Ole Larsen. He lives about 5 km south of me..... That truck sounds to be in the same shape as the one they got here in Sør Odal (South O Valley)... There is only one vehicle slower than the fire truck, my dads old Lanz Bulldog.

old Grump
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I'll bet your dad's Lanz Bulldog isn't steam powered. I was wondering if you would catch this one, I figured it had your name all over it. :anim_beer-1:Here's to the gamle mannskap. I suppose I should translate that but I'm feel like being a butthead today. :coffee:

Hedning
06-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Let them figure out "gamle mannskap" themselves.... The Lanz aint steamed... its a one cylinder two stroke diesel. I think it was made in 1942. But it looks like it was made in 1910 or something. If you looka at a Case from the same time, its like looking at a Russian Lada and a Dodge Magnum.... So, is the sun up?

old Grump
06-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Gardening, digging post holes, shooting some 22, mowed half my yard, sun is up and I over did it. Almost didn't make it back into the house. Few home made peanut butter cookies and some hot black and strong jitter bean juice and I'm ready and raring to go.

As long as I can do my going from a sitting position, my legs are saying nasty things to me. Sun finally came out today and it is beautiful. Yesterday everytime I stepped outside it was either dark and cloudy and wind blowing or raining and lightning. Really hard to mow the lawn when its doing all that funny stuff around my pumpkin head.

I have two brothers who would love to dig into your old mans truck, especially trucker brother. He has a collection of the one cylinder engines they used to use for pumps. I have all I can do to understand a 6 cylinder Chevy engine.

awp101
06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
The Louisiana State Police received reports of illegal cockfights being held in the area around Crowley and sent their famous detective Boudreaux to investigate.

Boudreaux reported to his sergeant the very next morning. "Dey is tree main groups in dis rooster fightin'." he began.

"Good work. Who are they?" the sergeant asked.

Boudreaux replied confidently, "De Texas Aggies, de Cajuns, and de Mafia."

Puzzled, the sergeant asked, "How did you find that out in one night?"

"Well," he replied, "I went down and done seen dat rooster fight in person. I knowed dem Aggies was involved when a duck was entered in de fight."

The sergeant nodded, "I'll buy that. But what about the others?"

Boudreaux nodded knowingly, "Well, I knowed de Cajuns was involved when summbody bet on de duck."

"Ah," sighed the sergeant, "And how did you figure the Mafia was involved?"

"De duck won."

awp101
06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Ole and Sven were waiting at the bus stop when a truck went past loaded up with rolls of turf.

Ole said, "I'm gonna do dat when I win da lottery."

"What's dat den?" asks Sven.

"Send me lawn away to be mowed."