PDA

View Full Version : Another Vintage Aircraft Almost Lost...gasp!!

slamfire51
06-16-2011, 07:31 AM
A 1957 Douglas A4 Skyhawk was damaged while being set on a display pedestal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localsfo/20110615/ts_yblog_localsfo/crane-fails-in-placing-plane-on-pedestal-at-former-alameda-naval-air-station?bouchon=807,ca

ATAK, Inc.
06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I wonder if it would be easier to get one from the boneyard, instead of investing all that time and materials to fix that one. It is just a display!

Krupski
06-16-2011, 09:36 AM
A 1957 Douglas A4 Skyhawk was damaged while being set on a display pedestal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localsfo/20110615/ts_yblog_localsfo/crane-fails-in-placing-plane-on-pedestal-at-former-alameda-naval-air-station?bouchon=807,ca

Ten of those planes... hell 100 of those planes are nowhere near the historical value that the B-17 was.

slamfire51
06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
I wonder if it would be easier to get one from the boneyard, instead of investing all that time and materials to fix that one. It is just a display!

That's a good thought.
I'd love to go there and pick one aircraft to own. I can see a B-52 in my backyard as a "man cave".

ATAK, Inc.
06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
That's a good thought.
I'd love to go there and pick one aircraft to own. I can see a B-52 in my backyard as a "man cave".

I've been to AMARC, at Tuscon, lots of jets to pick from. Many years ago I remember the story of a retired Lt. Col. buying a F-104 airframe, and after much struggle with the govt, acquired and engine. He had some retired crew chiefs help him out and after much work, the jet was deemed airworthy. On his first flight he encountered hydraulic issues and the gear would not extend. So, after trying everything possible, and being bingo on fuel, he ejected and watched his investment plummit into the ground!

AMARC has lots of F-15's and F-16's just sitting around, I want one for a static display in my front yard!

imanaknut
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
As sad as it is to see any part of our history destroyed, the B17 that went down was one of the few that was still airworthy. As rare as the A4 is, the one damaged was not an airworthy aircraft, and though a loss to those of us airplane nuts, it is a rebuildable wreck as opposed to the no longer flying B17.

I have worked on several display aircraft in the past, and you would be surprised at what you would find if you looked under that beautiful paint job!