PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Way to Get 922 Compliant

68rs327
06-18-2011, 08:40 AM
I am thinking about reworking my MAK90 to look more like a traditional AK.
I have been searching on the net on the easiet way to get 922 compliant without loosing the quality of my MAK by using replacement US Parts. What I have found is this list:
Here are the parts that most owners use to achieve 922R compliance:
- Trigger
- Hammer
- Disconnector
- Buttstock
- Pistol grip
- Handguard (upper and lower handguards on an AK only count as 1 compliance part)
- Gas piston
- Magazine parts (Note: body, follower and floorplate each count as 1 compliance part).

Are these the item you guys use to get Legal?
AND what are the Odds a Cop or ATF will ever check your AK to see if it is 922 Compliant ?

68rs327
06-18-2011, 09:01 AM
After Searching on the Net, I am getting more confused. Here is an post I found on the subject of getting "Legal" 922 compliant. And how a guy did it.
I used a Tapco G2 fire control set (hammer, trigger, sear), a Tapco gas piston and US pistol grip. I don't have a muzzle device on my MAK, so I needed 5 parts (6 with a muzzle device). Using a US gas piston lets me use any mags, not just those with US parts, and lets me use any furniture I want except pistol grip. I put a Romanian side folder stock and laminated Romanian pistol grip forearm and found online a laminated US pistol grip that matched the Romy forearm. Here's a pic of the completed MAK.
How Many US Parts do you need to be 922 Compliant?

I Found another Post on the MAK 90. Will this work to get it Legal? If so, I will go this route to keep my MAK action original.
My problem is that the Norinco MAK-90 has just about the best action of any AK variant imported into the US. I don't with to spoil that. No sense frakking up a good thing.

So that leaves me with:

Stock
Pistol Grip
Hand guards
Magazine Follower
Magazine Floorplate
Magazine Body
Gas Piston

That should do it. That will leave me with only 8 foreign parts.

68rs327
06-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Just read that the AK has 16 foreign made parts on it and 6 of these have to be US made to be 922 Compliant?
After Reading and Searching all morning, here is what I came up with, Let me know if it works.
Magazine Body (1), Mag Follower (1), Mag Floor Plate (1), Butt Stock (1), Pistol Grip (1), Muzzle Brake (1) Total of 6 US made parts and I don't have to change any of the Internals on the MAK.
Will this technically be 922 Compliant?

Also, Does my Mak90 only has to have 5 because my barrel is not threaded, if it was I would just add a US made muzzle brake. Correct??

scratchthejeepguy
06-18-2011, 10:07 AM
see if this helps:
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

blobman
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
surprised nobody got back to you on this...............if your barrel ISNMT threaded you can go with
g2 fcg =3 us parts
us made pistol grip=1 usparts
us made piston=1 us part

that should make you legal,but youll need to get rid of the bushhole stock(you said you wanted it more traditional) so you could go with new furniture all around

68rs327
06-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going with a Tapco Stock Set which would be (2) compliant parts and a Tapco Mag which is (3) compliant parts and a Tapco Pistol Grip (1) compliant part, for a total of 6 US parts which should make me 922R compliant from what I have read since my barrel is Not threaded I only needed 5 ? Am I correct on this? I didn't want to change the MAK90 trigger since it is so smooth. And I didn't want to change the piston if I didn't have to. This I think is the Easiest way to be legal and I wanted a New stock anyway. The only problem is if I put in a foreign mag I wont be legal. I shoot on my private farm, so Law should not be around. I will always carry the Tapco Mag with me so I could throw it in the AK if needed to may law happy.
This fit my situation best. Let me know if I am way off base with this.

blobman
06-18-2011, 01:29 PM
i believe your legal then.........i understand now your ?s, since your keeping the orig fcg

68rs327
06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
i believe your legal then.........i understand now your ?s, since your keeping the orig fcg

Thank you!
Now I have been looking for a Nato Length Bulgarian Stock to start with. I looked at Tapco.com and all I saw there were Warsaw Length. I am a big guy and would like the longer NATO Length. Any ideas on a supplier who sells the Bulgarian Polymer Black Nato Length Stocks?

imanaknut
06-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Personally I would go with a US stock set and magazine for 6 of the 16 countable parts. If your muzzle is unthreaded you now have one of the most angelic rifles that George Bush the First would approve of. (that rat bastage!)

The Chinese AKs had the best factory fire control group of any imported, so messing with the trigger group is an absolute last resort.

As for someone asking you to prove your parts count, go out in a good old fashioned midwest lightning storm, and you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. A friend of mine who is way up in the food chain of "Men With Letters on Jackets" told me that as long as you don't walk up to an ATF agent and brag about your "hotrodded rifle" (his exact words) they really won't bother you. Unfortunately they refuse to remove that rule even though they like it less than we do!

Disclaimer: I in now way advocate the intentional violation of any law or rule no matter how stupid it is.

68rs327
06-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Personally I would go with a US stock set and magazine for 6 of the 16 countable parts. If your muzzle is unthreaded you now have one of the most angelic rifles that George Bush the First would approve of. (that rat bastage!)

The Chinese AKs had the best factory fire control group of any imported, so messing with the trigger group is an absolute last resort.

As for someone asking you to prove your parts count, go out in a good old fashioned midwest lightning storm, and you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. A friend of mine who is way up in the food chain of "Men With Letters on Jackets" told me that as long as you don't walk up to an ATF agent and brag about your "hotrodded rifle" (his exact words) they really won't bother you. Unfortunately they refuse to remove that rule even though they like it less than we do!

Disclaimer: I in now way advocate the intentional violation of any law or rule no matter how stupid it is.

Thanks for the reply and all your help.
I am going to buy an American Stock. I am looking at the Polymer Bulgarain Style Stock from K-Var and Tapco. I wanted to go with Tapco, but I think they only carry this stock in a Warsaw Length and I wanted the NATO Length stock. I looked at the collapsable stock, but I think I like the look of the original AK looking stock.
I am going with the US made Stock, Pistol Grip, Forearm Grip, and Tapco Mag to be 922R Compliant. The Only reason I care about being legal with the AK would be is if I ever used the AK for home defense and the police had to be called.

CrufflerSteve
06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
If you're a builder its pretty easy to make your 922r (or whatever its called now) and keep the original stock.

1. US Receiver. I like NDS.
2,3,4: FCG group. Three parts at once! Can't be beat. I've used the Tapco G2, double or single hook as needed.
5. Gas Piston. Lots of people offer them. I use AK Builders.
6. Muzzle device or pistol grip. I used a slant brake on my Romy G's and had an AK Builder one blind pinned on my AMD-65 to get legal length and compliance part.
If you don't want to do a US muzzle device, do the pistol grip. Ronin makes great grips.http://shop.roninsgrips.com/

That's six and you still have your stock.

Steve

Mark Ducati
06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Laws like 922 and such are usually only used as "tag on charges"... that is, someone is usually doing something stupid committing a crime in the first place and has a 922 non-compliant weapon so those charges are added when they "throw the book" at them.... your basic firearm enthusiast who may be a part shy here or there should have nothing to worry about unless they've done something to put themselves on the LEO radar.