PDA

View Full Version : ITS A DRACO DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCOWANWHEELS
06-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Well bought me a draco today...... now its time to rig this out for duty and start with a good break in. thing I,am gonna do rail handguards, ft. & rear night sights hopefully with ghost rings, do a good trigger job, hogue grip, flash hider and a rear sling mount. time to start shopping

FunkyPertwee
06-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the club!

I chose to make mine a KISS carbine. I'm really wanting to SBR it.
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/100_2373.jpg

Lysander
06-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Well bought me a draco today...... now its time to rig this out for duty and start with a good break in. thing I,am gonna do rail handguards, ft. & rear night sights hopefully with ghost rings, do a good trigger job, hogue grip, flash hider and a rear sling mount. time to start shopping

Just out of curiousity, are you going to completely replace the FSB and rear sight in order to install these "ft & rear night sights hopefully with ghost rings." ?

FunkyPertwee
06-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Just out of curiousity, are you going to completely replace the FSB and rear sight in order to install these "ft & rear night sights hopefully with ghost rings." ?

The Draco uses standard Euro AK front sight pins and rear sight assemblies. Don't they make ghost rings for standard AK rear sights? I'm pretty sure you can just replace the front pin with a tritium one. I know mepro makes a tritium AK front sight pin.

BCOWANWHEELS
06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
YES I,AM GONNA REPLACE THE FRONT SIGHT POST WITH TRITIUM POST and replace the rear with ghostring from krebs customs. there ghost ring rear isnt tritium but you can drill it on both sides and install trijicom inserts in it. boy i sure lke the wood forend on your pistol ! how did you get it looking so nice ? also those finger grooves i bet work as nice as they look also. you do that too ?

FunkyPertwee
06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
YES I,AM GONNA REPLACE THE FRONT SIGHT POST WITH TRITIUM POST and replace the rear with ghostring from krebs customs. there ghost ring rear isnt tritium but you can drill it on both sides and install trijicom inserts in it. boy i sure lke the wood forend on your pistol ! how did you get it looking so nice ? also those finger grooves i bet work as nice as they look also. you do that too ?

It came that way. http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_143&products_id=1615

Schuetzenman
06-18-2011, 08:50 PM

On doing a trigger job, don't is my advise. These AK pistols are real easy to double tap with even with stock triggers and they muzzle climb like virtually nothing else I've fired. Very easy to shoot over a berm on an accidental double tap with one of these. You get a round out of a range, it could have serious negative consequences.

BCOWANWHEELS
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I,LL pay close attention to its handleing when breaking it in and consider your thinking on a trigger job... 4 sure

Lysander
06-19-2011, 05:52 PM
The Draco uses standard Euro AK front sight pins and rear sight assemblies. Don't they make ghost rings for standard AK rear sights? I'm pretty sure you can just replace the front pin with a tritium one. I know mepro makes a tritium AK front sight pin.

Peep is one thing, Ghost Ring is another. Ghost Ring+ Hooded Front Sight screams "PITA" to me. Peep might be a bit different, though tbh I find the hooded front sight and a T-1 combo to be very cluttered. Cluttered enough that I've thought about pressing it off and replacing it with something else.

FunkyPertwee
06-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Peep is one thing, Ghost Ring is another. Ghost Ring+ Hooded Front Sight screams "PITA" to me. Peep might be a bit different, though tbh I find the hooded front sight and a T-1 combo to be very cluttered. Cluttered enough that I've thought about pressing it off and replacing it with something else.

:confused: I always thought ghost rings and peep sights were the same.

Helen Keller
06-19-2011, 06:25 PM
On doing a trigger job, don't is my advise. These AK pistols are real easy to double tap with even with stock triggers and they muzzle climb like virtually nothing else I've fired. Very easy to shoot over a berm on an accidental double tap with one of these. You get a round out of a range, it could have serious negative consequences.

That's why I put a Bulgy FH on mine. Recoil is minimal and barrel rise is almost nothing.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/capbustinjon/002-3.jpg

BCOWANWHEELS
06-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I was thinkng about a smith enterprises vortex fllash hider or the bulgy myself. smith is very proud of there products price wise.

Schuetzenman
06-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I was thinkng about a smith enterprises vortex fllash hider or the bulgy myself. smith is very proud of there products price wise.

Yes they are, then again it seems most of these companies are. AAC's black out hider is $99 bucks if you want the model that can take a suppressor. Noveske KX3 Flash Hider hiders are $125 but they are supposed to be very effective to kill flash on SBR type weapons and large handguns.

Lysander
06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
:confused: I always thought ghost rings and peep sights were the same.

TO me "Ghst Ring" has always applied to larger aperture shotgun type sights. Designed for quick acquisition at the cost of precision, ideal for up close. Something you'd see on a shotgun, for instance. "Peep", again to me, applies in general to rifles and in more specific cases uses a smaller aperture for more precise work.

Not attempting to be banal, but this is what happens when people use the terms interchangeably.

BCOWANWHEELS
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
no plans for a can as i dont see the need for my personal use but i do want to kill the flash and i,d like a U.S. made f/h for 922r

FunkyPertwee
06-19-2011, 08:53 PM
no plans for a can as i dont see the need for my personal use but i do want to kill the flash and i,d like a U.S. made f/h for 922r

922r doesn't apply to handguns, even AK handguns. My flash hider is US made but thats just cause I found it for like 7 bucks. Surpisingly, the barrel flip does seem subdued even though my muzzle device is so small.

BCOWANWHEELS
06-19-2011, 09:00 PM
"if" i decide to legally SBR it then 922r comes in and anything i buy for it I like to think ahead.

Schuetzenman
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
"if" i decide to legally SBR it then 922r comes in and anything i buy for it I like to think ahead.

Actually if you SBR it it's title II weaponary then. 922r only applies to title I weapons.

BCOWANWHEELS
06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
anybody know where i can buy a new draco gas piston ?

FunkyPertwee
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
anybody know where i can buy a new draco gas piston ?

Why? Did something happen to your's?

Sorry, don't know anywhere.

O.S.O.K.
06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I do not need a draco.... I do not need a draco.... I do not need a draco.... :dizzy:

FunkyPertwee
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I do not need a draco.... I do not need a draco.... I do not need a draco.... :dizzy:

Get one while you can. Its pretty much a short barrel SAR-1 for $350. But then comes the mods, and then the future SBR fee and parts.

Anyway, it'd be a good companion to that WASR underfolder you got.

AKTexas
06-21-2011, 07:44 PM
The fudd side of me keeps telling myself I do not need one but the gun crazy nut side screams buy one or two.

BCOWANWHEELS
06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
no nothing wrong with the one that came in it but i want a second b/c group so I can have a lightning bolt conversion done to it and still be able to return back to stock setup if i want to. just me i recon.

Partisan1983
06-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Ive always been curious about getting one of these. Who makes 'em and what do they normally sell for?

Schuetzenman
06-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Ive always been curious about getting one of these. Who makes 'em and what do they normally sell for?

Who makes them ... the Romanians. Who imports it is Century Arms in VT. Think of it as a SAR-1 in pistol form. The receivers have dimples and IMO is a gret SBR doner weapon.

AtLarge
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the club!

I chose to make mine a KISS carbine. I'm really wanting to SBR it.

Great finish!

BCOWANWHEELS
06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I called century today about buying some parts and the fella who talked to said they buy these assembled from romania and they stock "NO" parts for them. said they would like to but cant get any. he told me to call back in 6 months then 'MAYBE" WE NEED TO GET THE CONTACT INFO FOR THE FACTORY GUYS AND buy direct if we can.... hope I have no warranty issues........

Schuetzenman
06-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I called century today about buying some parts and the fella who talked to said they buy these assembled from romania and they stock "NO" parts for them. said they would like to but cant get any. he told me to call back in 6 months then 'MAYBE" WE NEED TO GET THE CONTACT INFO FOR THE FACTORY GUYS AND buy direct if we can.... hope I have no warranty issues........

Only parts I've seen or heard of ever wearing out were hammers or triggers or a disconnector. Plenty of those parts made right here in the USA to use. Never seen a gas piston on an AK wear out. That said in answer to your original inquiry about where to get a piston, follow this link. http://ak-builder.com/index.php?subcats=Y&type=extended&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&cid=0&q=piston&dispatch=products.search&x=0&y=0 AK-Builder shows a 2.5" pistol piston and a Hungarian AMD65 length. I had one and it was my pistol build but I couldn't tell you how long the piston was other than to say it's at least an inch shorter than a standard piston.

BCOWANWHEELS
07-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Started working on my new draco, heres my observations on it so far.
steel euro mags are a little slopy "but" tapco poly mags are a great fit, nice & snug. also I removed the thread protector on the end of the barrel to install f/h. i just barely scratched the coloring off the bottom of the fsp and i wanted to re-color it before installing the f/h. i use KRYLON BBQ & STOVE paint for exhaust manifolds i refurb so i tried it on the skint spot on the FSP. perfect match !!!! its rated to 1200 degrees so I am very happy. ironwood designs is comming out with new romy handguards for the ak this month ( july) so once there out gonna do some switching out there, I also ordered a hogue pistol grip & I,am making my own design sling attachment devise for under the pistol grip which i,ll have pic's of soon. havent shot this critter yet but will soon. sights look straight but i did notice the front sight was adjusten alot to right side. hope its because its not sighted in yet but got that feelin it aint and was adjusted that way for a reason. got lucky and got a "C' model made in 1974 and it has the underfolder rear trunion. sure is tempting to get the stamp and sbr this thing. i bought a flash hinder off gunbroker from this fella. its nice except where the locking pin on fsb goes in f/h the reciever slots arnt big enough so i,ve got to make them bigger or reduse diameter of pin which i,am not going to do. its was 10.00 so i got what i paid for I guess. heres his uction for f/h http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=235812319
I also ordered a cleanning rod from a outfit in north carolina http://www.classicarms.us/
there a real joke, complete junk, cut down ak rods to draco length, in the raw and the threading is so bad no cleanning tools will go on !!!! avoid this outfit also. draco was very cosmolined up which is good but general quality is nice. wish I,d had just got this instead of my new arsenal SGL21. but hind sight is alot clearer than for sight. for $360.00 i believe these are great deals personally "if " its reliable and shoots good. more to come
bob

FunkyPertwee
07-04-2011, 10:14 AM
My Draco came with a tight mag catch. I had to actually file it open to make them fit. I left it tight enough to reduce wobble but still easy to change mags.

Also, classic arms rocks. They just have an ancient web page, and I guess they make bad cleaning rods now. I always used them as a store and not a machine shop so that hasn't bothered me yet. Thanks for the warning on the rods though, although I've found the other aspects of dealing with them to be pretty good.

Schuetzenman
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't know where this mags wobbling in an AK became an issue but it isn't. Quite the contrary, perfect fitting mags are much harder to get in fast under stress.

Lysander
07-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't know where this mags wobbling in an AK became an issue but it isn't. Quite the contrary, perfect fitting mags are much harder to get in fast under stress.

Are you knocking the universally celebrated robust Tapco Mag?

My Dracos fit both Bulgy Waffle and Steel mags fine, same fit as on my SLR-107FR. Just enough play to get them in and out with minimal trouble.

I was lucky when I purchased both of mine for a good price back when J&G was having a discount sale on them. I probably paid less for both than BCO paid for his one after shipping.

Not sure why he would knock classicarms. Again, another respected vendor. Terrible site definitely. Given then quality of E. Bloc kit, I wouldn't be surprised if the threading issue stemmed from the original gear, not from Classic's product. Not an issue for me because mine both came with rods, not that I'd use them anyway.

BCOWANWHEELS
10-17-2011, 09:04 PM
WELL I FINALLY GOT A NEW GAS PISTON for my draco. i bet this thing has 100k flight miles on it.... I liked to never hooked up with the guy who broght it home to me as he travels alot for his business and did it as a favor. anyway i wanted to install the CSS LIGHTNING BOLT conversion in my draco and wanted a seperate top dust cover converted along with a seperate bolt carrier along with the gas piston. had a time with CSS BUT finally got it worked out. i got 2 so I have a extra. I'D post pictures but there too big to post.
bob

tarheelpwr
11-12-2011, 04:08 PM
922r doesn't apply to handguns, even AK handguns. My flash hider is US made but thats just cause I found it for like 7 bucks. Surpisingly, the barrel flip does seem subdued even though my muzzle device is so small.

I realize this is an old post, but where did you come a cross the flash supressor for that cheap?

FunkyPertwee
11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I realize this is an old post, but where did you come a cross the flash supressor for that cheap?

This is where I bought mine. Its not for the same price anymore though.

I'd buy this one now, just because I like this company, and the price of the Tapco version isn't much better. Also, CNC Warrior doesn't put a huge logo on it like Tapco does. http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=33

BCOWANWHEELS
11-13-2011, 02:35 AM
YOU CAN GET A AR STYLE FLASH HIDER ON GUNBROKER.COM FOR LIKE 10.00. THATS WHERE I GOT MINE

dja9520
11-14-2011, 01:53 AM
I've got to break down and buy a draco! or at least convince the wife that i need one. Are any of the draco's chambered n .223? thanks dja9520

FunkyPertwee
11-14-2011, 01:55 AM
I've got to break down and buy a draco! or at least convince the wife that i need one. Are any of the draco's chambered n .223? thanks dja9520

Every now and then you'll see them pop up for a short while. They were imported as "champion" pistols at one points.

Lord Ak-47
12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
The AR flash hider took alot of the big fireball effect from my Draco.

Solidus-snake
12-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Now if only they would make one in 5.45...