PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you carry a knife?

Richard Simmons
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Beings that this is the "Knife Forum" most of those that post here obviously carry and or have some interest in knives and knife collecting but given the lack of posts it just got me to wondering if perhaps knives aren't a part of mosts peoples lives and if so why not?

Not really speaking to the tactical knife crowd or the hunter/camping/ bushcraft folks but just your everyday man and woman. I'd wager that 100 or even 50 years ago just about every adult male and most boys had a knfe of some kind in their trouser pocket or even on their belt. When and why did folks stop carrying a blade?

There is almost never a day that I leave the house without at least one knife on me. Granted I may not use that particular knife even once throughout the day but even so I've never had a day where I was glad I didn't have a knife. For me carrying a knife is as common as putting on my watch, putting my keys or wallet in my pocket. It's just what I do.

O.S.O.K.
06-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I do carry a knife. :)

I feel naked without one. I use it just about every day. Mostly use it as a box cutter... which is hard on the edge, but there are many other uses as well.

Only reason not to carry one is if you travel and fly a lot or are otherwise not permitted by "the man" to have sharp objects. I hate it when I fly which is often but I check my bags because, you guessed it, I have a knife in my bag so that I can have it in my pocket wherever I'm going.

I have been known to take a gun (another useful tool) too when the destination is a non-communist state.

AKTexas
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
To me a knife is part of the uniform, wallet, keys, phone, eye drops, ccw, small flashlight, pen, knife, sometimes two. I carry a Gerber multi-tool plus a Gerber Evo. I use the hell out of the multi-tool and the Evo is useful for all kinds of task.

RJ Shooter
06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
If I forget a knife, or my cell phone, I feel naked. A knife is as much a part of me, as shoes... ;)

cevulirn
06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Usualy at least one 'Real' knife, and a little swiss army knife on my keychain at all times. Sometime a 3rd in my boot :D

FunkyPertwee
06-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Never don't have a knife is rule #1.

old Grump
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
If I'm wearing pants I'm carrying a knife. If I was to wear Kilts it would be a BIG knife.

AK-J
06-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I carry a knife every day. Always have. I'd feel naked without it, and I always find it to be a useful tool.

I think the reason a lot of folks don't carry them is because they've been indoctrinated to think of a knife as only a weapon and not the indispensable tool that they are. Along the same lines as firearms. It's a back slide in evolution in my mind (man has always used knives).

Schuetzenman
06-21-2011, 06:00 AM
I always carry a pocket knife, cause you just never know when you might need to cut something.

Justin
06-21-2011, 06:05 AM
I think the reason why some people don't carry knives, is that the law may vary from city to city.

Richard Simmons
06-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I think the reason why some people don't carry knives, is that the law may vary from city to city.

True. There are at least several states and cities, New York comes to mind that have some issues with blades that can be opened with one hand or by flicking. A while back when DPX came out with a folder they were tightening down the pivot so the knife could not be easily opened so some purchasers wouldn't have issues when receiving the knife though now that I think of it that may have been for folks in Canada but they did it too all the knives.

Ideally you do what you can to overturn the laws and find something legal to carry in the mean time. Don't know how many times I see folks, for something as minor as opening a package, try to use their car keys, a pen, their teeth. Having a knife just seems so practical, at least to me.

Vorkutinetz
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Always have one on me. And. like others in this thread, feel naked without one.

Also, I spent some time training with Jim Harrison (http://sakurabushidokan.homestead.com/home.html) one of the things he stressed during training is to always carry a weapon...anything, knife, gun, stick,keybotan..in fact, he said, that if he runs into a student of his outside the school and finds them unarmed, he takes that student down by one belt level:)

binky59
06-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I alwayss carry a knife, I've had a good knife ever since boyscouts. I have collected quite a few over the years for fishing, hunting, scuba ect. The most expensive knifes I have is a set of JA Henkels chefs knifes. I had to sand, patch, and paint the back of my fathers shed because of all of the digs from my throwing knife. Us kids used to play mumbeldie peg....still have a scar on my foot from that....of course you are never part of the club until you cut yourself.:hurt:

Richard Simmons
06-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I alwayss carry a knife, I've had a good knife ever since boyscouts. I have collected quite a few over the years for fishing, hunting, scuba ect. The most expensive knifes I have is a set of JA Henkels chefs knifes. I had to sand, patch, and paint the back of my fathers shed because of all of the digs from my throwing knife. Us kids used to play mumbeldie peg....still have a scar on my foot from that....of course you are never part of the club until you cut yourself.:hurt:

Thanks for posting. How about some info on your collecting? Maybe some favorites you've had or have?

arcangel
06-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Always carrying a knife, usually a fast one. Sometimes I'll knap a quick blade from flint or glass while in the woods and carry that too. They usually break after a bunch of use, but only really use them for simple stuff. I like combat style knives and tomahawks too.

btcave
06-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Never carry a knife unless I'm in the woods. Just don't need the extra bulk. Keys, wallet and occasionally carrying a cell phone irritate me enough.

Richard Simmons
06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Never carry a knife unless I'm in the woods. Just don't need the extra bulk. Keys, wallet and occasionally carrying a cell phone irritate me enough.

Thanks for posting. If I may ask, what do you carry when you're in the woods?

bovver
06-30-2011, 09:19 AM
I carry a simple buck knife.

Kadmos
06-30-2011, 02:02 PM

I hear that, some days I wish men had a reasonable way to carry a purse!

I seem to have so much crap, and in the summer with no coat its even worse.

As a kid I always had my boy scout knife (medium folder), then went to a Swiss army in my teen years, in my 20's it was an ultra light Gerber folder, maybe a 3 1/2 inch blade.

I stopped carrying maybe 2 years ago, which is strange because I'm living in a worse neighborhood.

Huh? I just realized, I guess I quit carrying right after my divorce!

I wonder if that is some sort of subconscious thing?

I just got my brother a nice US made Kershaw for his birthday this Saturday and started thinking about picking up a little folder for myself to carry again.

My Gerber has gone missing, my old buck is way to heavy.

Richard Simmons
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I hear that, some days I wish men had a reasonable way to carry a purse!

I seem to have so much crap, and in the summer with no coat its even worse.

As a kid I always had my boy scout knife (medium folder), then went to a Swiss army in my teen years, in my 20's it was an ultra light Gerber folder, maybe a 3 1/2 inch blade.

I stopped carrying maybe 2 years ago, which is strange because I'm living in a worse neighborhood.

Huh? I just realized, I guess I quit carrying right after my divorce!

I wonder if that is some sort of subconscious thing?

I just got my brother a nice US made Kershaw for his birthday this Saturday and started thinking about picking up a little folder for myself to carry again.

My Gerber has gone missing, my old buck is way to heavy.

What are you looking for in a knife, maybe we can offer some suggestions?

Kadmos
06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
What are you looking for in a knife, maybe we can offer some suggestions?

Light folder, thin, maybe 3-4 inches on the blade, it'd be nice if the clip reversed for lefties. I heard Spyderco makes a good one with a clip that you can switch around, but then I hear the old one's were better, so I dunno

Richard Simmons
06-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Light folder, thin, maybe 3-4 inches on the blade, it'd be nice if the clip reversed for lefties. I heard Spyderco makes a good one with a clip that you can switch around, but then I hear the old one's were better, so I dunno

Price range? A Spyderco Endura 4 with VG-10 blade might be a good choice for you. With a Spydyhole opener and back lock it's 100% ambidextrious, the clip will accommodate left, right, tip up or tip down, sabre grind 3.75" blade, plain edge or serrated, 3.6oz and at around $50-$60 it won't break the bank.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/endura4lwt-plaincomboorserratededge.aspx

You can also get one with a full flat grind blade in ZDP-189 steel which will cut like a scalpel. (more money though).

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/endura4lwt-plaincomboorserratededge.aspx

Or in different colors.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/delica4lwttrainer-non-sharpeneddrone-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/delica4lwttrainer-non-sharpeneddrone-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/delica4lwttrainer-non-sharpeneddrone-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

Solidus-snake
06-30-2011, 05:16 PM
I always carry a knife on my person when im out and about. When I go out I normally just carry a Remington F.A.S.T folder that my brother got me for christmas a couple years ago, handy lil knife that while only like $15 bucks, its never failed me.

I carry my Leatherman Blast ocassionally especially when I think ill be doing any kind of tinkering. While at work which is where I spend most of my time awake, all week, I carry a lil Cobalt box cutter and my Remy in my boot.

btcave
06-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting. If I may ask, what do you carry when you're in the woods?

Schrade 3 1/2" folder used for hunting with a 3 inch blade Muella bowie style for a backup. For camping and hiking I have a K-Bar for the grunt work. I've got a Buck folder in the truck and a Leatherman in my range bag.

I have other knives, but they were bought on "cool" factor and not ever used. I should sell the damn things.

Darrell
07-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Can't imagine not having a blade of some kind. I wear a Gerber multi-tool like an apendage.

Took it when I went to see ZZ Top, didn't think nothing about it. Security said I could leave it at their little check point but it probably won't be here. I chose to hoof it back to the car.

The guy kept apologizing when I came back. He knew I wasn't out "to stick someone".

He was just doing his job...

Dieselbuilder
07-02-2011, 01:36 PM
My current EDC is a
http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/Kershaw-1550-rw-8796-5355.jpg
Kershaw 1550 Blackout for critical work and a
http://auction-e.com/image/20/675/2282.jpg
CRKT 6613 IKE for mundane chores like opening boxes and cutting cardboard.

btcave
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
http://auction-e.com/image/20/675/2282.jpg
CRKT 6613 IKE for mundane chores like opening boxes and cutting cardboard.

That was my knife I carried on me when i was in my Army uniform. Loved it. Still have it.

Richard Simmons
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/08/texas-boy-6-reportedly-snatched-by-mountain-lion-at-big-bend-national-park/

In this instance a knife (don't know what the father used) was probably the better choice. Using a handgun to shoot a cougar while it has your child in it's jaws would be a pretty dicey proposition.

In this video it looks like he was carrying a Spyderco Caly 3.5

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2012/02/07/dnt-mountain-lion-attack.kosa#/video/us/2012/02/07/dnt-mountain-lion-attack.kosa

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=581

abpt1
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Everyday I put on my pants I also put on my leathermen and my broken ass kershaw lol

Helen Keller
02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
I do everywhere but work, 3.5 Sheffield SS folder.

when I'm monkeying around I carry my Leatherman WAVE too.

old Grump
02-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Knife - cellphone - knife - cellphone......

Nope, knife wins, if I got that I don't need no cell phone.

ltorlo64
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Just saw this thread. I got my first knife, a Boy Scout Camping knife when I was about eight. Carried it everyday until I managed to lose it. Even carried it to school. Back then people realized it was a tool and no one cared. I have carried various knives all my life, cheap folding pocket knives when I was a teen and couldn't afford a good knife, a Buck hunter for a while and a real nice butterfly knife for a few years. For the last few years I have carried a small, Swiss Army knife. Does everything I need. the blade is barely an inch long. Always irritates me when I forget it at the airport or a museum and have to through it away. Only costs about $10 to replace, but come on. I am going to reek mayhem and desctruction with a one inch long Swiss Army knife?

jojo
02-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I've been toting the same Al Mar automatic knife for 19 years. It's followed me all over the world and has even made many flights in my hold baggage on numerous international trips since 9/11.

l921428x
02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I used to carry one all the time, a Kershaw. Now because of work restrictions it is in a multi tool fashion. Gerber and Leatherman. My favorite of all times is my Schrade Uncle Henry LB5. Had 2 lost one at work sad day. Made in China now days I believe.

Helen Keller
02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I found my CRKT K.I.S.S. EDC folder the other day after misplacing it about 2 years ago. Still sharp as a tack.

l921428x
02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
I found my CRKT K.I.S.S. EDC folder the other day after misplacing it about 2 years ago. Still sharp as a tack.

Why would it not be? Was it where you left it? J/K

gpwasr10
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I never leave home sans a knife. EVER. I'll carry everything from a Case, to a Buck 110, or a Spyderco.... or a CRKT Guppy... man it just depends on what I am doing. But even at dressy Events I take a nice knife of some sort. Class it up with a CASE or a Nice old School Stockman.

A MAN always carries a knife.

gpwasr10
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM

I love that design. I have owned many, and gifted many out.

deputyvaughn
02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
My Captain asked me one day after inspecting my uniform, "why so many knives?"....I said "knives never run out of bullets" and then explained that you never know which hand is going to be already occupied when you need a knife, got to be able to reach one.

Scott

greeenie
02-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Edc kershaw and collector of kershaw knives. Since I was 12, never will change. I did piss off authorities in Spain carrying a butterfly Knife when I was 18 though. Quite the hoot

Richard Simmons
02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Edc kershaw and collector of kershaw knives. Since I was 12, never will change. I did piss off authorities in Spain carrying a butterfly Knife when I was 18 though. Quite the hoot

Kershaw is one of my favorites as well. Also their Zero Tolerance line.

greeenie
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
havent checked those out yet, they pretty good quality?

Richard Simmons
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
havent checked those out yet, they pretty good quality?

Extremely good quality! I've got a preorder in for a ZT 0560 that is a custom collaboration with Rick Hinderer. Word on the street in Canada and Europe (they got the first batch last week) is that it compares very well with Rick's on knives which sell for 4x the price. I believe all ZT knives are hand assembled and from the ones I've got, it shows.

http://www.knifeworks.com/zerotolerance0561hinderercollaborationflatdarkeart h.aspx

greeenie
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
zomg droool

http://www.knifeworks.com/zerotolerance077735n360thomascompositebladecarbonf iberhandles.aspx

ltorlo64
02-14-2012, 12:07 AM
zomg droool

http://www.knifeworks.com/zerotolerance077735n360thomascompositebladecarbonf iberhandles.aspx

$599.99! My handguns didn't cost that much!

gpwasr10
02-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Yeah, knives can get a little crazy... LOL

Richard Simmons
02-14-2012, 09:59 AM

That's retail. The preorder price was $480.00. Depending on how many they eventually make you will see the price come down some or if they only make a limited number the secondary market will see those selling at at least $600 up to $700+ depending on how bad someone wants it. The 0777 won several awards and has a makeup of material and design elements that I don't think have ever been undertaken before let alone equalled. IMHO it's an almost custom knife at a less than custom price.

gpwasr10
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
That's retail. The preorder price was $480.00. Depending on how many they eventually make you will see the price come down some or if they only make a limited number the secondary market will see those selling at at least $600 up to $700+ depending on how bad someone wants it. The 0777 won several awards and has a makeup of material and design elements that I don't think have ever been undertaken before let alone equalled. IMHO it's an almost custom knife at a less than custom price.

Still though, it is an out and out collectors piece and nothing more. Anyone who could afford to use would not be manly enough to really test it, anyone else would never put a knife that expensive through the ringer.

Richard Simmons
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Still though, it is an out and out collectors piece and nothing more. Anyone who could afford to use would not be manly enough to really test it, anyone else would never put a knife that expensive through the ringer.

That's true but as well all know, safe queens aren't restricted to just firearms. Knives, cars, guns, etc. Collecting isn't necessarily about using but it is always about owning and more so owning what few others have. Sometimes just looking is fullfilling enough.

I carry a Chris Reeve large Sebenza on a regualr basis and I'm not afraid to use it.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CRKSEB21L/chris-reeve-knives-large-sebenza-21

Does it cut any better than countless other knives I own? Nope, not really but I love the way it looks, feels and functions. It's also damn stout and at least IMHO, it likely won't fail me if I really needed to put it to the test. As with just about anything, you get what you pay for.

greeenie
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM
if i had one of those 777s id carry it in a hearbeat, that thing is sexy as fuck

Woogiebear
03-16-2012, 10:05 AM
When I am in uniform, I have my benchmade auto opener. Its beat up as hell, but I love the hell out of it. When I am in civvies, I have my CRKT Razel. Its a sturdy blade with a hefty handle. Been thinking about making some purple heart wood scales for it.