PDA

View Full Version : Romanian AK-47 Questions

Blunderbuss
06-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Hello! This is my first post on these forums, so it's nice to meet all of you!

I have the opportunity to buy a Romanian WASR-10 AK-47 with an under-folding stock for $589.00. It does have the usual WASR ailments of a canted front sight, very slight magazine wobble and not so bad of a slide catch. What struck me about this one was that it has Russian proofs from the Tula arsenal on the receiver.

What does this mean about the value of the rifle? I don't know if a Russian receiver is rare on a "Romanian" AK, or how "Russian made" it makes the rifle. Any input on whether or not this is an out of the ordinary rifle would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!

imanaknut
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The Romanians had a proof mark similar to the one the Soviets used, so unfortunately it is most likely still Romanian.

I haven't been following the prices of the WASRs lately, but the price you are quoting seems high considering all the issues you already pointed out.

Just for comparisons, check Gunbroker to see going prices for WASR folders. Make sure you check completed auctions to get actual selling prices.

Check Centerfire Systems to see if they have any and what price. Also check Atlantic firearms for prices on similar rifles.

Just under $600 for any WASR seems to be just too much.

Helen Keller
06-21-2011, 07:17 PM
$589???????

hell I'll sell you a Romak 1 for $550 shipped.

O.S.O.K.
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
:welcome: to the board.

Check here: http://www.aimsurplus.com

They will sell you one for $440 and you have shipped to a local fun shop = who you pay a "transfer" fee too = usually around $25. You need to get their OK beforehand of course.

But that should get you your Rommie AK for about $500 total.

And don't let the dealer charge you for sales tax - other than maybe for the transfer fee.... because he doesn't have to pay it to uncle state.

Blunderbuss
06-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Thank you for the welcomes and great links! I thought that was pretty high, but their selling point of course is that "assault" fireams are raising in price because of a raise in BATF ban efforts and such things. Saiga 12's are now marked up to $789.00! And as for the similarities in their proofs, this one was very clear on the receiver, it said "Made in Russia" with the Tula arsenal triangle as well, is this unusual or worth the excessive price?

romak10/63UF
06-22-2011, 12:17 AM
I only paid 535.00 shiped for my Wasr Gp 10.63 UF .... Can you be able to take pictures of this underfolder that says made in russia ? an post the pictures hear so we can all see..

Blunderbuss
06-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Unfortunately the gun is at a shop on the other side of town, and I don't know how they would feel about me taking pictures in there. The shop worker showing it to me sounded curious/surprised to see that it said this. It was in such a clear way that I was convinced the receiver was Russian, but being new to AK-47's didn't know if this was out of place on a Romanian.

imanaknut
06-22-2011, 11:51 AM
If it said "Made in Russia" and did have the Tula stamp, I can guarantee you that it is not Romanian and therefore cannot be a WASR.

I can't believe someone would use a Russian receiver, which are as rare in this country as hen's teeth, and then add Romanian part to make a rifle when there are so many Russian "kits" available.

I think it would be worth it to travel across town to revisit the rifle, and make a note of all the writing on the receiver as well as markings on the front trunion where the serial number should be.

One thought going through my mind is that someone wanted to build an AK that had all the marks of a real AK without the price of the rifle we cannot buy because we have no right to keep and bear all arms. It is not illegal to restamp a receiver with any markings you want as long as you don't mess with the serial number, so it is conceivable that someone built the rifle and stamped the receiver to look Russian.

Or it is a Saiga receiver that was converted to underfolder.

We need more data. Hope you understand. Thanks!

I don't know how big the area is where you are, but where I live near Indianapolis, a ride across town could be 40 miles and I would still be in the city! Still worth the trip to find out what you have there.

Blunderbuss
06-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh I understand completely, I think I will have to do that! And "across town" is a pretty short trip here, I think my post may have made it sound like more of an adventure! Haha but I didn't understand either after seeing those marks and hearing them tell me it's a Romanian imported by Century! The only particular US part I know of on it is a Tapco trigger. If the Russian receivers are that rare and it is legitimate, it sounds like it may be worth the buy then even at the price? I will try to get more information and post it here as soon as I can, thank you very much for the help!

binky59
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
:copper: Welcome to the darkside.. Sounds like the dealer is trying to give you a sales pitch to pump up the price. If he really wants to sell it he should let you take pictures of the markings. For that price I would ask him if that includes 1000rnds of ammo.

raxar
06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
$589???????

hell I'll sell you a Romak 1 for $550 shipped.

And I'll sell you the original laminate handguards from that romy for a mere $100 shipped