PDA

View Full Version : Man robs bank for health care.

bovver
06-21-2011, 06:14 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/06/20/249307/georgia-man-robs-for-health/

The thing is,they knocked down the charge,so no healthcare.

mriddick
06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
It's such an odd system, I know people who have never worked getting disability and medical costs paid for while guys like this can't get help.

Richard Simmons
06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Everyone get's denied for disability the first time around, maybe even the second. Arthritis and carpal tunnel? Join the crowd. His goal is to retire on a beach and live off social security. Sounds like he's pretty out of touch with reality now. Maybe prison will give him some perspective.

LAGC
06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I've never understood how you have access to free health care in prison for those who break the law, yet if you do everything right and never break the law, you're shit out of luck. End up with hospital bills that cause you to have to file for bankruptcy. If we were a civilized country, people could get all the preventative health care they needed at little or no cost to them as a free and honest citizen, which would save us all the money spent on more serious diagnoses later on down the road, bringing overall health care costs down.

Instead we enrich insurance companies who often deny people for pre-existing conditions and charge ridiculous co-pays or high deductibles requiring serious out-of-pocket expenses. What a racket.

mriddick
06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I've never understood how you have access to free health care in prison for those who break the law, yet if you do everything right and never break the law, you're shit out of luck. End up with hospital bills that cause you to have to file for bankruptcy. If we were a civilized country, people could get all the preventative health care they needed at little or no cost to them as a free and honest citizen, which would save us all the money spent on more serious diagnoses later on down the road, bringing overall health care costs down.

Instead we enrich insurance companies who often deny people for pre-existing conditions and charge ridiculous co-pays or high deductibles requiring serious out-of-pocket expenses. What a racket.
How do you make health care cost next to nothing?

Richard Simmons
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
How do you make health care cost next to nothing?

I presume he expects someone else to pay for it hence the "little or no cost to them" comment. Remember, to a liberal nothing ever costs them, anything cause it's paid for with taxes and those taxes are always some elses.

Oswald Bastable
06-21-2011, 09:01 PM
If we were a civilized country, people could get all the preventative health care they needed at little or no cost to them as a free and honest citizen, which would save us all the money spent on more serious diagnoses later on down the road, bringing overall health care costs down.

I'm curious as to which article of the constitution or which of the bill of rights this idea is contained in...

LAGC
06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm curious as to which article of the constitution or which of the bill of rights this idea is contained in...

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if a 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was passed enabling Medicare for all.

JTHunter
06-22-2011, 12:28 AM
LAGC - as with children that are in the care of the DFS/DCFS (or whatever your state calls them), they are legal wards of the state. This means that the state is responsible for their care and upkeep.
Prisons are the same way. It's not right or fair but that's how the system is set up.:dizzy:

LAGC
06-22-2011, 01:50 AM
LAGC - as with children that are in the care of the DFS/DCFS (or whatever your state calls them), they are legal wards of the state. This means that the state is responsible for their care and upkeep.
Prisons are the same way. It's not right or fair but that's how the system is set up.:dizzy:

Yeah, I understand that. Eighth Amendment and all that, the state is responsible for taking care of its wards. Letting someone with a curable illness/ailment suffer or die while in custody would be "cruel and unusual punishment."

I just find it perplexing that we have no problem with convicts and other wards of the state getting free access to quality health care, yet everyday honest citizens who don't break the law and never end up in jail get fucked if they get sick or otherwise injured, unless they are lucky enough to work for a company that has a health plan. What's the logic in that?

mriddick
06-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I understand that. Eighth Amendment and all that, the state is responsible for taking care of its wards. Letting someone with a curable illness/ailment suffer or die while in custody would be "cruel and unusual punishment."

I just find it perplexing that we have no problem with convicts and other wards of the state getting free access to quality health care, yet everyday honest citizens who don't break the law and never end up in jail get fucked if they get sick or otherwise injured, unless they are lucky enough to work for a company that has a health plan. What's the logic in that?

I've known alot of people who get their healthcare free. Why this guy couldn't is another question but few people actually die because they lack access to healthcare.

Mark Ducati
06-22-2011, 06:34 AM
My wife has an uncle that's been in prison pretty much of his adult life... one time he was out on probation, got stomach cancer, did something stupid and wound up back in Jail. They dropped the charges and let him go because the county didn't want to pay for his cancer treatment.

Richard Simmons
06-22-2011, 08:31 AM
They had an interview with this guy on the news last night. He owns a condo in Myrtle Beach, SC which is where he wants to retire after prison. So he can't find a job and wants disability and healthcare yet owns a retirement condo on the beach. Sounds like he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

mriddick
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
They had an interview with this guy on the news last night. He owns a condo in Myrtle Beach, SC which is where he wants to retire after prison. So he can't find a job and wants disability and healthcare yet owns a retirement condo on the beach. Sounds like he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

The average American, he wants it all and give up nothing. LAGC should look at his picture very closely I'm thinking for him it's like looking into the future :)

rahatlakhoom
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
He had to open his big mouth.
I guess he should have stood his ground, asked for all the money, and
reveal no motive other than, "I want money"

He would have been handed his health care on a silver platter.

Nixon initiated the tearing down of the private sector health care industry.
The gov began infiltrating the system that capitalism built and served all
fairly.