PDA

View Full Version : Dissipator-style barrel assembly question

RCS
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
So I was perusing the internet the other day and saw a Dissipator upper for the first time since I was just getting into firearms (more than a decade ago), and thought, "that looks really cool." And now I want to build an upper for my current rifle.

Now, all the Dissipators I've seen are carbine length, I want something mid-length (for softer recoil and quicker follow-up shots). Can't find any mid-lengths out there, so I believe I'll have to build it. So here's my question: would I be fucking up if I out the FSB forward enough for a rifle-length handguard on any barrel (that has a low-profile gas block at mid-length)?

I'm new to ARs, so this may be a stupid question.

AK-J
06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
The short answer is it would be perfectly alright to pin a FSB (w/ stock attachment stuff) at the rifle length area hiding the mid-length gas block under the handguards.

Here is what you are looking for?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5950MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+GMP+5.56%2f.223+Upper&groupid=55

Something else you might want to think about is having a low profile mid-length gas block w/ a full length railed free-floating rifle hand guard, and mount a flip-up buis front sight on the end of the hand guard. Thats what I would do.

cevulirn
06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
+1 on the free float rail.

RCS
06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
The short answer is it would be perfectly alright to pin a FSB (w/ stock attachment stuff) at the rifle length area hiding the mid-length gas block under the handguards.

Here is what you are looking for?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5950MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+GMP+5.56%2f.223+Upper&groupid=55

Something else you might want to think about is having a low profile mid-length gas block w/ a full length railed free-floating rifle hand guard, and mount a flip-up buis front sight on the end of the hand guard. Thats what I would do.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't think to go to AIM Surplus.

And I bet I could shave off a few ounces with the free float rail, right?

AK-J
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
That is exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't think to go to AIM Surplus.

And I bet I could shave off a few ounces with the free float rail, right?

The free-float rails are heavier than the orginal plastic hand-guards, so they always add a little weight.

RCS
06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
That's odd, because I've heard the exact opposite from others. I'll have to research this.

Maybe that Spike's upper will fit the bill for me--I won't be adding more than a flashlight and possibly an AFG to it, so a full rail won't be a necessity.

Schuetzenman
06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
That's odd, because I've heard the exact opposite from others. I'll have to research this.

Maybe that Spike's upper will fit the bill for me--I won't be adding more than a flashlight and possibly an AFG to it, so a full rail won't be a necessity.

It somewhat depends on what brand and model of rail handguards. But generally they are heavier than standard A2 handguards of rifle length. The Moe guards as shown on that upper are nice. I think if you tried them out you'd like them.

RCS
06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
It somewhat depends on what brand and model of rail handguards. But generally they are heavier than standard A2 handguards of rifle length. The Moe guards as shown on that upper are nice. I think if you tried them out you'd like them.

I have the MOE HGs on my carbine currently. I love them. Very comfortable.