PDA

View Full Version : Gunkote Warning: "Matte Black" Comes out Glossy!

Makasaurus
06-22-2011, 06:50 PM
I bought some gunkote to use on my Wasr Ak. After wrestling with the butt stock in too tight, i said the hell with it, gave up and i just bought some alumahyde and waiting for it to arrive. I didn't think the wooden stock would take 300 degrees very well and i couldn't see any way to get the stock out without destroying it or throwing out my back (yes i tried the screw drivers and wiggling already).

Anyway, Gunkote is expensive and i didn't want it to go to waste. I figured i would do at least the receiver cover and one steel magazine with it. I'm glad i did this and did not do the whole rifle, because the can says "matte black" BUT the end result is gloss black! :swear:

They say there's no way to remove it now without sandblasting. So I guess i just will paint the receiver cover in alumahyde too.

Here's what the magazine came out like. If yu can't tell from the photos, it is not "matte" it is glossy, which isn't what i wanted. I tried knocking the shine off with 000 steel wool, didn't have much effect. Anybody have any good ideas? I don't want to do it over again.

"Matte Black". So far as i know that's interchangeable with "Flat black".

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/AKaKNOWMATTE.jpg

But the end result looked like this:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/AKaKNOW017.jpg

rahatlakhoom
06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
That aerosol can of gunkote is less than favorable product.
If you want good results you will have to get it from the source.
Get your own compressor and detail spray gun.

http://www.kgcoatings.com/gun-kote-finish.php

Schuetzenman
06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Why does that mag look like a cosmoline saturated blued Chicom 5 rounder? Surely that isn't an object actually painted with the Gun Kote?

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/Close_up_of_Polish_Under_Folder_action.jpg

This Polish folder is painted with Gun kote Satin Black with teflon. It is a very close match to the original lacquer finish on most European AKM weapons. If you wanted Flat Black that is what you should of purchased. Gun kote, KG Industries doesn't use the term Matt. http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective-coatings-page-1/ link to KG Gun Kote from KG's web site. They call it Flat or Satin. Looks Like Brownell's may have called the Satin Matt. Which I've got a gloss Gun Kote and the Satin is way less glossy than real Gloss.

Lastly, a stuck Romanian buttstock and how to remove it. They get stuck I think just because the Romanians jam the stocks in the receivers with the finish still wet on the buttstocks. I can't figure out why they'd stick like they do. I've used the screw drivers but they will mash the stock extension a bit until it breaks loose. I've also used a technique of whamming the stock on a bed, in other words a firm but very padded object. You simply hold the weapon by the barrel, (Make sure it's unloaded first) then swing batter swing. Sure keep some perspective as you might be strong enough to break the stock off. First you wham it on one side, then flip it over and wham it the opposite way. Then rotate it 90 degress and wham it that way then rotate it 180 and hit it from that direction. In otherwords you beat it in all 4 directions possible, alternating until it gets loose enough to pull out. Never failed to get a stock out. Taken over a dozen out. Most folks just puss out and give up. NO pice of Eurotrash wood is EVER going to defeat this American! Arrrrrrrrhhh!

Makasaurus
06-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I re-checked the Brownell's site again for what color gun kote they offer. Whether rattle can or plain can, the only thing they offer even close to "flat black" is the "Matte black". Since they offer Gunkote in gloss black i don't know why the "matte black" is actually glossy and not flat. It never occurred to me that it would be otherwise. The only good thing about it is i did not do the entire gun with it, just the top cover and one mag -who wants a gloss black AK anyway? Not me!

I scuffed the receiver cover with some 0000 steel wool and it has knocked the shine down to a tolerable level. It will be easier to clean at least. But i want the rest of the gun to be FLAT BLACK.
The oil is from my hands. After i pulled it out of the oven. I didn't do a very good job cleaning the mag as you can see, it looks better then it did before that's about all!

thanks for the tip on getting the stock out. I googled it and NOBODY had this bright idea! I am copying it and sending it to my "gun" file on my yahoo mail.
Anyway i'm not buying another can of gunkote, too expensive and i lost the paperwork and used the product, so it is probably too late to return it now. I just ordered the alumahyde and hope it stands up well to brake cleaner, clp and hoppes, which is what i use to flush out the lower. Google 10 different posts on Alumahyde you get 10 different answers on its solvent resistance or lack thereof. I guess i'll just be careful when cleaning not to splatter solvents around...

Schuetzenman
06-23-2011, 06:24 AM
A second coating of Gun Kote would stick to the first one perfectly. Alumihyde may not. Maybe who ever makes up the rattle cans of Gun Kote for Brownell's misslabled them. Just guessing given your report.

I always purchased direct from KG Industries, usually a pint as I was an 01 FFL and was refinishing many weapons each year. A pint can do about 8 weapons easily. I think KG sells a smaller can of it. Yes, just checked, they have 4 and 8 oz. cans. However this material will require an airbrush or detail spray paint gun to apply as they don't offer rattle cans.

slamfire51
06-23-2011, 07:38 AM
I've used the rattle can of GK many, many times. Sand blasted the metal and degreased with brake cleaner after baking parts with places for cosmo/oil to hide.

After baking GK for recommended time @ 300 degrees, the finish was always semi-glossy. Never the matte finish advertised by GK.

Makasaurus
06-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Wish i would have known this before i bought the stuff. It Costs a fortune and didn't give me flat finish like i wanted, and thought i was going to get. I suppose i should email Brownells and see what happens.