PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Question

ltorlo64
06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
How many people take apart the bolt assembly when you clean your rifle? I have never stripped a rifle that far, is it necessary?

El Laton Caliente
06-23-2011, 08:55 AM
I pull the bolt out of the carrier and spray it out with gun scrubber or brake cleaner. I don't disassemble the bolt componants unless something is wrong with it.

imanaknut
06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Same here. I just remove the bolt from the carrier, clean it and the carrier thoroughly and then re-install.

Schuetzenman
06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Depends on the bolt. On a Mosin Nagant, you bet I pulled it and stripped it all the way down to clean. Same for my 8 mm Mausers firing surplus that is corrosive. My 03 and M1 Garand, no as I don't shoot any corrosive.

With respect to the M1 Caribne and M1 Rifle they stay pretty clean really. Every couple of years I pull a firing pin but never have removed an extractor. Once again a soaking in Hoppes or other non ammonia containing bore cleaner then a high pressure blow out with my air compressor blowgun is what I genereally do.

imanaknut
06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Depends on the bolt. On a Mosin Nagant, you bet I pulled it and stripped it all the way down to clean. Same for my 8 mm Mausers firing surplus that is corrosive. My 03 and M1 Garand, no as I don't shoot any corrosive.

Good point, but guessing that this is the black rifle forum, the OP is talking about an AR-15. :D

AK-J
06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I remove the bolt from carrier and the extractor from the bolt (I like to clean under it because I can remove it easily).

ltorlo64
06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Good point, but guessing that this is the black rifle forum, the OP is talking about an AR-15. :D

You are correct. My specific question is about my AR, but by extension I was going to use similar logic on my M1 Carbine and Garand.

I do remove the bolt from each of my guns and clean them, I just don't strip the bolt down and specifically clean the firing pin and associated springs.

Schuetzenman
06-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Sorry, didn't bother to check the forum, just responding to the topic. That said, for the DI guns yeah I would take the bolt out and remove the carbon build up in the carrier and on the bolt. Soaking is your friend.

Flinter
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Personally, if it's a firearm I shoot a good bit, I pull the bolt apart about once per year and clean it.

M1 carbine bolts are a pain in the #$%#$.

ltorlo64
06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Sorry, didn't bother to check the forum, just responding to the topic. That said, for the DI guns yeah I would take the bolt out and remove the carbon build up in the carrier and on the bolt. Soaking is your friend.

What is DI?

ltorlo64
06-23-2011, 06:27 PM
M1 carbine bolts are a pain in the #$%#$.

This is not a post that makes me want to run out and start ripping these apart.

imanaknut
06-23-2011, 06:32 PM
DI in this case is Direct Inpingement.

Ash
07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Is it necessary to clean the gas tube at any point? Or is this something that you just have to do if you are having problems?

-Ash

ltorlo64
07-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Great question. I hope someone posts an answer.

Dieselbuilder
07-04-2011, 10:17 PM
How many people take apart the bolt assembly when you clean your rifle? I have never stripped a rifle that far, is it necessary?
Just like Uncle Sam taught me when I was 17, I pull the bolt clear down and clean the whole thing.
Is it necessary to clean the gas tube at any point? Or is this something that you just have to do if you are having problems?

-Ash
I run a pipe cleaner down the gas tube every time I clean it.

romak10/63UF
07-05-2011, 12:59 AM
On my K98 German Mauser i only take apart the bolt all the way down twice a year every 6 months just to make sure there is no rust building up... Or after i go shooting with that beast when i know im useing ammo that would cause some harm if left uncleaned.. like Turkish ammo...

Izzy
07-10-2011, 10:25 PM
depends on which rifle. The advice on early SAR's from romania was to do so to get all the cosmoline out, and they were NEW. So I strip most of my bolts ( semi or bolt action) just to clean then and reassemble...you learn a lot doing it, and often can get it back together within 24 Hrs. :dancingsmile:

Guscrubber is a good substitute for breaking down a bolt / bolt head, just lightly oil after with a non gumming spray so the parts wont rust.

Izzy
07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Just like Uncle Sam taught me when I was 17, I pull the bolt clear down and clean the whole thing.
I run a pipe cleaner down the gas tube every time I clean it.

That is a man who will be able to rely on the rifle! Yes the AR SHOULD be cleaned like you were an OCD maid.

5.56NATO
07-18-2011, 05:02 PM
The ar is so easy to get to all the nooks and crannies it pays to take them down every once in a while. Who knows, you may even find that sliver of brass that got into the bolt bore of the ejector before it stops up the works.

Schuetzenman
07-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Brownell's has a bolt carrier carbon scraper that goes into the bottom of the bolt recess in the carrier to remove that very stubborn carbon that builds up in there. I never bought one but have thought about it a lot, usually while I'm digging and cussing at the carbon in a bolt carrier.

Solidus-snake
07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Brownell's has a bolt carrier carbon scraper that goes into the bottom of the bolt recess in the carrier to remove that very stubborn carbon that builds up in there. I never bought one but have thought about it a lot, usually while I'm digging and cussing at the carbon in a bolt carrier.

I have been meaning to get one of these tools, ive got a bit of buildup on mine though ive scraped it off several times, cant seem to get it perfectly clean.

Lol and like the post earlier, I clean my AR like my DI's told me to when I was 18.