PDA

View Full Version : Got My Black Widow Quota Today

slamfire51
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
I found these 3 in a square foot area under a car ramp in the shed.
Two are the largest I've seen. All 3 had egg sacks with live lil ones in them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/bwspiders003.jpg

Full Otto
06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Yuk those are nasty. Looks like you used chemical weapons?
So how big is big?

roaddog
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
DAMMIT SLAMFIRE!! didn't you learn your lesson processing the O.J. Simpson crime scene!. Put something in the pic for scale purposes!.:laugh::copper:

By the way...Looks like a male black widow would have had to strap a 2x4 across his ass to keep from falling in if he was going to be banging the one on the far left.

5.56NATO
06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
You could at least pose them in a funny scene, with dialog and everything!

romak10/63UF
06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I pesonally have raised female black widows " no i am not crazy " i wanted to see how big can they really get after about 3 years of raiseing one female black widow she was the size of a golf ball. Thouse females are between 3 to 5 months old... the size of a dime

slamfire51
06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
DAMMIT SLAMFIRE!! didn't you learn your lesson processing the O.J. Simpson crime scene!. Put something in the pic for scale purposes!.:laugh::copper:

By the way...Looks like a male black widow would have had to strap a 2x4 across his ass to keep from falling in if he was going to be banging the one on the far left.

No skyscrapers close, so the Twin Towers had to do.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/bwspiders003pdn2.jpg

Ruskiegunlover
06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
wow. Those things scare the hell out of me. They have a pretty serious bite.

slamfire51
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Yuk those are nasty. Looks like you used chemical weapons?
So how big is big?

Wasp bomb was the only chemical available.

Blurry pic but you get the idea.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/blackwidow001.jpg

AKTexas
06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Super spiders. I hate going out into my shed because of those things.

Full Otto
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?7476-The-male-Black-Widow-spider&highlight=male+black+widow+spider

O.S.O.K.
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Knock on wood, I haven't seen any for quite some time here. When we lived in the country, we would get them all over the house every spring - it was a job to hunt them all down... We also had lots of snakes. The danged copperheads liked our back yard and our female terrier got bit on the nose by one once. It stayed in the same spot all day and when I got home and discovered the bite (the wife "thought she was acting funny" :rolleyes:) I went out and shot its ass. Big fat one.

davepool
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I did some roof inspections with a female property manager last week, who normally likes to walk the roofs with me. I climbed up the verticle ladder first to open the roof hatch and didn't notice the black widow sitting in the corner who ended up on my shirt sleeve ( damned hitchhikers). We had just started our walk when she screamed hysterically (scared the shit out of me) " There's a black widow on you arm", i looked at my arm and there it was by my elbow, i brushed it off and killed it.

This woman was having a serious panic attack, she had been biten by one when she was a kid and was scared senseless. This roof had the worst infestation i had ever seen, their webs were everywhere, upwards of 100 under the counterflashings,HVAC units, pipes, exhaust vents ,etc. When i pointed this out she froze and wouldn't move, there was nothing i could do to calm her down, and she would not climb back down the roof hatch ladder.

There was a sign crew at the Walmart nearby using a 40' knuckle boom, i convinced them to come over and lower the basket over the 5' parapet wall and take her off the roof.

I don't think she will ever walk another roof with me again.

alismith
06-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I pesonally have raised female black widows " no i am not crazy " i wanted to see how big can they really get after about 3 years of raiseing one female black widow she was the size of a golf ball. Thouse females are between 3 to 5 months old... the size of a dime

Uh, ok. And how does that make you, "not crazy?":gruebel:

On my crazy-ometer scale of 1-10, you peg the needle at about 15.

Solidus-snake
06-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Them things do creep the fuck out of me. I am in a small town in the country and see the things all over the place. What worries me is im pretty sure that the local hospital doesnt stock antivenom for them. Theres a big fat one guarding a eggsack a couple feet above the door where I work. Im going to be bringing my poison can to work tomorrow.

raxar
06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
This woman was having a serious panic attack, she had been biten by one when she was a kid and was scared senseless. This roof had the worst infestation i had ever seen, their webs were everywhere, upwards of 100 under the counterflashings,HVAC units, pipes, exhaust vents ,etc. When i pointed this out she froze and wouldn't move, there was nothing i could do to calm her down, and she would not climb back down the roof hatch ladder.

ah yes, women and spiders. At work the bathroom is it's own separate little building, and we're out in the boonies so there are all kinds of insects about. One day one of the women comes up to me hysterical asking me to go take care of a spider in the bathroom. I go out there and there are three of them huddled together screaming about how big this spider is, then I go in there to get it and what's the first thing they yell at me? "DON'T KILL IT!!".

Solidus-snake
06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
ah yes, women and spiders. At work the bathroom is it's own separate little building, and we're out in the boonies so there are all kinds of insects about. One day one of the women comes up to me hysterical asking me to go take care of a spider in the bathroom. I go out there and there are three of them huddled together screaming about how big this spider is, then I go in there to get it and what's the first thing they yell at me? "DON'T KILL IT!!".

Women.... are in-frikkin-sane..

Krupski
06-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I found these 3 in a square foot area under a car ramp in the shed.
Two are the largest I've seen. All 3 had egg sacks with live lil ones in them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/bwspiders003.jpg

Wow... I wonder why the red patch is hourglass shaped? It must have evolved that way for a good reason...

AKTexas
06-24-2011, 04:12 PM

There is crazy and then there is stupid. Crazy is not the case here.

Krupski
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
ah yes, women and spiders.

Years ago I was riding in my sister's car. She was going around 60 or so when suddenly she screams, takes her hands off the wheel, covers her face and screams "kill it! kill it!"

After squinting to see the MICROSCOPIC spider coming down a single strand, right in front of her face, I grabbed the wheel (to keep us from getting killed), then grabbed the web plus spider and tossed it out the window.

Then I yelled at her... she could have killed us both and what if I wasn't in the car???

Women. Sheesh. She takes her hands off the wheel, covers her face and screams. Good grief.

Helen Keller
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
DOn't have those but I get the Huntsman Spiders in the house once in awhile , biggest has been about silver dollar sized.
I pick em up and chuck em back out.

Haven't had any since I've treated the shit out of the yard.

alismith
06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
DOn't have those but I get the Huntsman Spiders in the house once in awhile , biggest has been about silver dollar sized.
I pick em up and chuck em back out.

Haven't had any since I've treated the shit out of the yard.

I squish 'em, then chuck 'em. No repeat offenders where I live.

Mark Ducati
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
This is what happens when a black widow bites you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WxLeYpsSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMLCMfZXuI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww8xlc0JGG0

Helen Keller
06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
I had a brown recluse bite before that turned into a staph infection within 24 hours.

LOTSA fun, 3 months of packing strips and painkillers.

romak10/63UF
06-25-2011, 09:32 AM

We all have ideas an thoughts on things... Maybe i was trying to harvest the venom ? maybe i just wanted to see how big the damn thing could get... I know alot about spiders i read alot of books about the 6 leged an 8 leged spiders... I could tell you alot more but then my creepy meter will creep up to 100... LMAO i always thought that if you were able to breed a Black Widow Male to a Large Bird Eater found in South America you could honestly be able to produce a spider deadly enough to kill cattle on one bite with its venom glands enlarged... This is just a theroy thought I do know there is a branch of scientists that still study how to be able to produce what they would call a Super Spider...

I will Stop going on an on....

raxar
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
We all have ideas an thoughts on things... Maybe i was trying to harvest the venom ? maybe i just wanted to see how big the damn thing could get... I know alot about spiders i read alot of books about the 6 leged an 8 leged spiders... I could tell you alot more but then my creepy meter will creep up to 100... LMAO i always thought that if you were able to breed a Black Widow Male to a Large Bird Eater found in South America you could honestly be able to produce a spider deadly enough to kill cattle on one bite with its venom glands enlarged... This is just a theroy thought I do know there is a branch of scientists that still study how to be able to produce what they would call a Super Spider...

you know, it's like nude photos of congressmen, Just because it could be possible doesn't mean there is any earthly reason to explore it.

ltorlo64
06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
No skyscrapers close, so the Twin Towers had to do.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/bwspiders003pdn2.jpg

:lool: That is how I see spiders, especially poinsonous ones!

ltorlo64
06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I ran into a blackwidow once when I was standing duty officer at Coronado, CA. I was in my summer whites and I found it under the sink. I took off both my shoes and had one in each hand, but looking under the sink I figured I could only use one, so I put the other shoe on the floor about 2 feet from the sink. I took aim and swung at the spider and missed, but I did knock it out of the web. The spider took off running and I was trying to move out of the way and get another swing in when the spider JUMPED INTO MY OTHER SHOE!!!! I almost just through the shoe away. I ended up smacking the shoe on the floor a couple of times to knock the spider out of the shoe. When it did, I didn't miss a second time!

tank_monkey
06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
you know, it's like nude photos of congressmen, Just because it could be possible doesn't mean there is any earthly reason to explore it.

+1,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.carriebilbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/blog-news-arachnophobia1.jpg

tank_monkey
06-25-2011, 04:59 PM
There is crazy and then there is stupid. Crazy is not the case here.

Absolutely! :thumbspbig:

Sorry the only black widows I want to see around me are these .....
http://www.e-gun.net/guns/20343-1.jpg

alismith
06-25-2011, 06:44 PM

You're really not doing a great job proving you're "not crazy.":biggrina:

davepool
06-26-2011, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPXdjdSVRwo

This looks like fun...a black widow yo-yo

They have some of the toughest silk of all spiders, some day body armor will be made of it.

Goet
06-26-2011, 03:14 AM

Not that's awesometer

NAPOTS
06-26-2011, 02:19 PM
You only found 3?

Last spring my brother in law and I found over 20 in one evening.

Since then I spray every few months and don't see as many but I know I have spots in the fence and eves where I could find some. I pulled one out of the hose reel and killed it a few days ago. They are all over out here. The "home defense" spray seems to work but only lasts 2 or 3 months.

slamfire51
06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
You only found 3?

Last spring my brother in law and I found over 20 in one evening.

Since then I spray every few months and don't see as many but I know I have spots in the fence and eves where I could find some. I pulled one out of the hose reel and killed it a few days ago. They are all over out here. The "home defense" spray seems to work but only lasts 2 or 3 months.

I really wasn't looking for them.
Just found them under something I was moving.
They leave me alone, I'll do the same.

Prometheus168
06-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I fear no man but God.... that said... you put me near a spider and I will run like a vegetarian from a BBQ....

Rusty