PDA

View Full Version : AK Recoil Buffer Installation Question

RTBArms1603
06-25-2011, 04:52 PM
I just bought a Buffer that came with no instructions. So after a search, I found a YouTube Video that explained how to install it. In the Video, ViseGrips were used to hold back the recoil spring. I was able to do this by hand...glad to not have to mar the guide. In the Video it was explained that there was a front and back of the Washer that holds the spring on (Buffer already installed). I looked thru my AK Books and they all say to just reinstall that Washer. I installed it so the witness marks on the Washer were toward the spring. My thinking was that these marks were made by the spring pressure.
Am I correct in my ASSumption?
Is there a front and back to the Washer?

imanaknut
06-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but I am not going to be any help. All my AK variants that I shoot have BlackJack recoil buffers, and all I had to do was slide the buffer over the recoil spring assembly until it was all the way to the rear. There were some that it was easier to just spin the buffer on like the recoil spring was a screw being threaded through the buffer, but at no time did I have any washer to worry about.

A photo might help those like me who are unable to figure why you had to do what you did.

Thanks!

videodon
06-25-2011, 05:20 PM
...yep, sounds complicated.
Blackjack in all mine too.
:)

RTBArms1603
06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Figures...
I'm thinking someone in here knows whether or not the recoil spring retainer washer can be installed in only one direction, or either way. Hopefully with a pic or diagram to explain.
I don't have a camera handy right now or I would try and post a pic of what I'm talking about.
But to be honest, I'm thinking every AK47 has this Washer.
Shouldn't this be in an FAQ? No disrespect intended.

sniper_n_training
06-25-2011, 11:02 PM
RTB, the retainer should be shaped the same on both sides. No such thing as a right or wrong side. HTH

RTBArms1603
06-26-2011, 06:06 AM
RTB, the retainer should be shaped the same on both sides. No such thing as a right or wrong side. HTH

Thanks.
Looked that way to me but I always like to be sure.