PDA

View Full Version : Another Gunkote/Alumahyde Question HELP! New pictures

Makasaurus
06-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Please delete old post.

Schuetzenman
06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
IMHO, you want the top cover to match the receiver it needs to be blasted. Never baked Alumihyde II. Frankly your photos show me what KG Industries calls Satin finish as I showed in my Polish folder photo in your last post. Too bad you're not close by. I could blast off your top cover and other little bits in 30 minutes or less in my blast cabinet.

Makasaurus
06-26-2011, 09:18 PM
I sure do appreciate the kind offer, sir you're a southern Gentleman. I have access to a sand blaster at work but i don't take gun parts there of course!
I am going to scratch it with steel wool and scotch brite pads to take the shine off, then paint it with the alumahyde II and bake it. I think i'll be ok with that just wondering who here has done anything like that.

By the way, do i need to say if you want a FLAT black bake on finish you'd want to avoid gunkote? The pictures show what their "Matte" is, it is a gloss or satin! I actually looked up the word "matte" means "lusterless and dull in color." Tell that to the people at KG.
Next time i will use the Brownells baking laquer if there IS a next time. As cheap as alumahyde and probably almost as tough as gunkote.

Schuetzenman
06-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Most Gun Kote colors are Flat. They satin and the gloss versions are minorities. Go back to my link to KG Industries and click on Products then there is a click on it that says "Colors" They have a color chart that looks like they have photographed painted samples of metal.

When I was an 01FFL I did gun shows and advertised doing refinishing with the Gun Kote. I had a flat plate of aluminum that I masked off and had a color swatch of the colors I carried. Only two were even slightly glossy and that was the Blueing (simulated gun bluing) and the Satin Black Teflon 1600 series. This Satin Black looks like HK or typical European AKM type weapons.

The Romanian types like you have being dull are not what most militaries use. Most have a phosphate finish with a baking lacquer over it. BTW, Baking lacquer can be quite glossy. I haven't looked at what Brownell's is selling in a long time and don't remember what they offer. I can tell you that Baking Lacquer is not nearly as tough a finish and it can chip off if struck sharply. Gun Kote on a properly prepared surface is amazing stuff. It also offers a barrier against moisture and corrosives that no other paint series finish can offer.

Trust me if you ordered Flat Black from KG you would have a flat dull shineless finish. Like most flat black paint systems though they will "Shine up" if rubbed by a solid object. An example would be that the safety selector will make a shiny mark as it slides on the finish of the receiver. Over time as you would wipe down the weapon with a cloth I could see the flat defeloping a slightly polished effect.