PDA

View Full Version : Update on unwanted glossy Gunkote Finish - Reply from Brownell's

Makasaurus
06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I posted this after gunkoting a couple parts on my AK. The matte black came out glossy and i was needless to say, a bit pissed.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?10773-Another-Gunkote-Alumahyde-Question-HELP!-New-pictures&p=144655

I complained to Brownells in an email and they responded first working day. Here's what they said:

Marc,

Don’t give up on us yet. The Matt Black is supposed to be truly matte black. The most recent batch of some 700 cans was formulated incorrectly and the matting agent was left out of the batch. I am sending a Cc of this to our customer service desk to make sure you get a replacement can at no charge to you. The good news also is that Gun Kote can be recoated before or after baking with follow-up coats of Gun Kote, so you don’t need to do anything but recoat and bake the matte on top of the previous color. In your case there is nothing wrong with the black on the gun at this time either.

Thanks for your patience

Monty Crain
Gunsmith Support Supervisor

Well that's good news they are going to make it right. they left the matte agent out of the paint batch...:dizzy:

I had given up on gunkote and alumahyde 2 is coming tomorow. Should i send it back right away or wait?
I am going to wait and try the gunkote again when it gets here rather then the alumahyde 2. Should i keep it in case the gunkote turns out glossy again, or should i trust that this batch is going to come out Flat?

Schuetzenman
06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
If you recall I speculated they screwed up on the labeling of the cans. Sounds pretty much like that was the case. Gun Kote is superior to ANYTHING in paints for corrosion and wear resistance. I'd wait on the Gun Kote and send the Alumihyde back.