PDA

View Full Version : Attended an Interesting Second Amendment Talk Today Sponsored by the Local ACLU

LAGC
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
It took place in an "Urban Studies" Center, an adjunct make-shift expansion class-room affiliated with the local university located right smack dab in the middle of downtown Boise, Idaho. Some of the attendees were law students attending for extra credit, but it was open to the public (only really advertised to ACLU members like myself, though.)

The talk was billed as a discussion of "the historical context of the 2nd Amendment including Supreme Court decisions, and recent developments and debates around gun rights." In the brochure/e-mail the question was asked: "Is the amendment one that was created to ensure the continuation of state militias for defense or was it created to ensure an individual's right to own a firearm?"

Of course, knowing the national ACLU's official position on the 2nd Amendment, it was little surprise which side of the loaded question the professor (I believe he was introduced as having earned his doctorate in social studies, if memory serves) came down on... basically it was a 40-minute diatribe against an "individual rights" interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, complete with a straw-man attack on the NRA for supposedly having an "absolutist" position, which isn't true at all. (Indeed, the NRA has been involved in crafting most of the gun control legislation we have on the books to date, including the 1968 GCA -- but nobody felt brave enough to point that out.) He went on and on about U.S. vs. Miller, pointed out that the biggest concern of the founders/framers around the time of drafting the Constitution was fear of a standing army, and that therefore a "well-regulated militia" was necessary to defend the country from foreign invaders, etc. He was good enough to point out that the militia of the day consisted of every able bodied adult MALE, but seemed to focus his presentation on the fact that we DO have a standing army now, therefore the need of a "well-regulated militia" was moot. He cited how interpretation of the 2nd Amendment shouldn't be a partisan issue, pointing out how some conservative commentators like George Will and various conservative judges have historically held a "collective rights" view, and how various liberals have called for abolition of the Second Amendment altogether as "antiquated". He ended his talk by lamenting the fact that the debate over gun rights centered on the term "gun control" -- he preferred the less politically charged term: "gun regulations."

But the best part of the talk came during the 20-minute question and answer session afterward, as the crowd pretty much tore him apart. One particular pro-RKBA gentleman mentioned Switzerland and how every household has a rifle and how they've never been invaded by any foreign armies since... a young gal spoke up and brought up the "defense from government tyranny" angle, which only got a luke-warm reaction from the professor, pointing out "Who decides when a government becomes tyrannical? When is it okay to start shooting police officers, for instance? People have used that excuse before..." I patiently waited my turn, and when finally called upon, just said: "One thing I don't understand, and maybe you could shed some light on, is if the 2nd Amendment is really only a 'collective right', why did the founders/framers stick the Second Amendment smack dab in the middle of all these other amendments dealing with individual rights in the beginning of the Bill of Rights? I mean, you have the First Amendment about INDIVIDUAL freedom of speech, the Third Amendment about INDIVIDUAL home-owner freedom from having to quarter troops, the Fourth Amendment about INDIVIDUAL freedom from unlawful search and seizure, the Fifth Amendment about INDIVIDUAL right against self-incrimination... why did the founders choose to stick something vague about "collective rights" right there next to all these other INDIVIDUAL rights -- why was it not placed at the end of the Bill of Rights, next to the Tenth Amendment about state's rights, for example, if that was really their intent?" All the professor could come back with was to say, "Well, yes, Scalia does point that out in the Heller decision..." As if citing Scalia automatically makes it an unworthy point worthy of dismissal... I mean, even a corporate stooge like Justice Scalia is right once in awhile, "a broken clock" and all that... but in general, he didn't seem to have much of a defense against criticism of his position, other than to be stubbornly set in his view.

Afterwards, as I was walking outside back to my car, I chatted with a local lawyer who I knew personally who attended the talk as well, telling him its always interesting hearing other people's opinions on the topic, and he quipped: "Well, his whole presentation was pretty much moot, in light of recent SCOTUS rulings." Indeed, that's what it really boils down to. Regardless of how much certain "professional" critics like to stick to their "collective rights" argument, the law of the land has spoken, and its now settled law so to speak. Even President Obama agrees that the Second Amendment details an individual right. It's unlikely a future SCOTUS will simply over-turn Heller, only interpret how far those individual rights go... I mean, one thing the professor did point out, was that none of our rights are absolute. But it just begs the question, how many "gun regulations" do we allow? Sure, the First Amendment doesn't allow you to shout "fire" in a crowded theater, but what's the Second Amendment equivalent? You can't shoot your gun on a crowded street? I think there are already laws against that: reckless endangerment, aggravated assault, etc. and not even the NRA seems to suggest that such wanton disregard for human life be "protected" by the Second Amendment.

Indeed, if we really held the Second Amendment in the same regard as the First Amendment, the exceptions to individual freedom would be very few and far between. I mean, even felons and the mentally ill still get their free speech rights restored upon completion of their sentence or discharge from a psychiatric hospital. How many exceptions are we going to allow, for a right that "shall not be infringed?"

5.56NATO
06-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Bet they won't have meetings like that again, unless they stack it with ringers. Good job.

Focused Gunfire
06-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Good job sir, good fuzzin job. :clap:
By the way, I thought the whole no shouting fire thing was overturned later?

Warthogg
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
ACLU.......follow the money.

Years back the ACLU was not liberal/progressive but fairly balanced. The left took control by supplying the funding.

Excellent work LAGC and thank you.

Wart

stinker
06-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Gawd i coulda smoked his ass in a face to face debate...That's all amature level bread and butter bullshit he's spreading around.

He went on and on about U.S. vs. Miller, pointed out that the biggest concern of the founders/framers around the time of drafting the Constitution was fear of a standing army, and that therefore a "well-regulated militia" was necessary to defend the country from foreign invaders, etc. He was good enough to point out that the militia of the day consisted of every able bodied adult MALE, but seemed to focus his presentation on the fact that we DO have a standing army now, therefore the need of a "well-regulated militia" was moot.
Apparently he never read the third ammendment. The point of the militia is that the founders wanted NO standing army unless a war had allready been started, in which case the congress is authorized to declare war and RAISE an army to deal with the situation...big difference.
The reason for that is when you have a standing army the politicians in charge of it start looing for excuses to use it...kinda like they have for the last 60 years or so.
They did create a standing navy but the reason for that should be obvious...pirates.

Nice job calling him out on the collective BS too btw. :thumbspbig:

Who decides when a government becomes tyrannical?
Just for future reference if you wanna burn someone trying that one, the answer is the state legislatures when talking about the national government.

He cited how interpretation of the 2nd Amendment shouldn't be a partisan issue, pointing out how some conservative commentators like George Will and various conservative judges have historically held a "collective rights" view, and how various liberals have called for abolition of the Second Amendment altogether as "antiquated".
Another landmine he just stepped on.
First point(and this is where i open my pocket constitution for dramatic effect) i would demand he show me where in article 3 it says that SCOTUS has the power to "interpret" (read reinterperate) ANYTHING. it does not exist.
As for the calls for abolition, they have every right to do so..2/3 to pass a repeal and 3/4 of the states legislatures to ratify it and bye bye second ammendment. I would'nt reccomend holding your breath waiting for it to happen though :lool:

Well, his whole presentation was pretty much moot, in light of recent SCOTUS rulings.
And that's a problem as well. Everyone is hooping and howling for joy that SCOTUS nerfed the ability of states to enact their own gun restrictions or outright bans, effectively forever incorporating it as a function of the federal government. In doing so they gave the federal government exclusive dominion to do the exact same thing. Nancy Pelosi is now the arbiter of determining just what the right to keep and bear arms means if she or someone like her gets in power again.

Contrary to popular modern belief(and i know i'll get flamed for this), the second ammendment does NOT bind the states. None of the first ten ammendments do. They're restrictions on the federal government and the federal government only that were enacted well after the constitution was allready written and ratified to establish the federal gov. Check the ratification dates. They tossed those in as an afterthought because they did'nt trust the federal gov to stay within it's limits without additional checks on it's power.

The incorporation doctrine is bullshit made up and pulled out of thin air by SCOTUS.
It just so happens that almost every state constitution i've read also has it's almost verbatim version of the second.
THAT'S where the indiviodual right actually comes from.

I mean, one thing the professor did point out, was that none of our rights are absolute. But it just begs the question, how many "gun regulations" do we allow? Sure, the First Amendment doesn't allow you to shout "fire" in a crowded theater, but what's the Second Amendment equivalent? You can't shoot your gun on a crowded street? I think there are already laws against that: reckless endangerment, aggravated assault, etc. and not even the NRA seems to suggest that such wanton disregard for human life be "protected" by the Second Amendment.
The whole argument he's making is flawed as it really has nothing to do with gun rights versus speech rights. It's an obfuscation bait and switch based in the flawed (i would also argue invalid)premise of "case law".
You cant fire a gun on a crowded street just the same as you cant swing a sword wildly or drive a car 90mph on the crowded sidewalk or drop a cinder block from the 20th storyof a building. The choice of object is irrellevant. It's reckless endangerment and disregard for the safety and preservation of other peoples lives and property. That has nothing to do with the second whatsoever.

what's the Second Amendment equivalent
There is'nt one.

I mean, even felons and the mentally ill still get their free speech rights restored upon completion of their sentence or discharge from a psychiatric hospital.
The state through due process suspended the rights of those people. That is authorized even at the federal level. What rights are later restored are therefore subject to the states determination of what is appropriate to be restored. That's why felons can't vote after their sentance is completed without special disposition from the state and pedophile predators are restricted on where they can live/work/etc. In the case of diagnosed psychiatric issues granted it's through no fault of the person in queston but you still don't want some people walking around with access to weapons of any kind due to their inability to discern right from wrong.

LAGC
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Contrary to popular modern belief(and i know i'll get flamed for this), the second ammendment does NOT bind the states. None of the first ten ammendments do. They're restrictions on the federal government and the federal government only that were enacted well after the constitution was allready written and ratified to establish the federal gov. Check the ratification dates. They tossed those in as an afterthought because they did'nt trust the federal gov to stay within it's limits without additional checks on it's power.

The incorporation doctrine is bullshit made up and pulled out of thin air by SCOTUS.

Actually, I thought it was the "privileges and immunities" clause of the 14th Amendment that bound the Bill of Rights over onto the states, making it so states couldn't violate any liberties set forth in the B.O.R.? Didn't Clarence Thomas mention this in Heller? I'm pretty sure Alan Gura (the lead litigator in Heller/McDonald) tried to argue along these lines...

The state through due process suspended the rights of those people. That is authorized even at the federal level. What rights are later restored are therefore subject to the states determination of what is appropriate to be restored. That's why felons can't vote after their sentance is completed without special disposition from the state and pedophile predators are restricted on where they can live/work/etc. In the case of diagnosed psychiatric issues granted it's through no fault of the person in queston but you still don't want some people walking around with access to weapons of any kind due to their inability to discern right from wrong.

Well, I guess what gets me is, if people are deemed too dangerous to be out roaming the streets, what are they doing being released from prison or mental hospital in the first place? Once people serve their time, they shouldn't still be subject to suspended civil liberties beyond their sentence. Even violent or sex offenders, once they've served their sentences and paid their debt to society, there should be nothing else required of them, such as registration, etc. If a particular violent or sexual offender needs to be monitored for the rest of his life, then it should be the judge that gives him a indeterminate Life sentence so that he/she will be under (parole) supervision for the rest of his/her life. Point being, it should be the courts that decide each sentence on a case-by-case basis based on the facts/evidence, not legislators in a blanket law. And even most mentally ill people function just fine once they recognize the source of their problems (their own minds) and take their medication diligently.

While I agree that some people really shouldn't own guns, I don't think the government does a very good job determining who those particular people are...

stinker
06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Actually, I thought it was the "privileges and immunities" clause of the 14th Amendment that bound the Bill of Rights over onto the states, making it so states couldn't violate any liberties set forth in the B.O.R.? Didn't Clarence Thomas mention this in Heller? I'm pretty sure Alan Gura (the lead litigator in Heller/McDonald) tried to argue along these lines...
Bear in mind that i'm of a mindset on these matters that pretty much all of the 20th century and a good chunk of the 19th should be repealed.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the
jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities
of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or
property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.
Given what was going on around the time of it's ratification that was intended to address one thing and one thing only. Former slaves.
It's been stretched to it's limits to usurp the power of the states to make their own laws. Anything that centralizes and consolidates power into washington is not a good thing. Applying the text in that way basically nullifies ALL authority of the states to govern themself according to the wants/needs of their own citizens.

Justice Thomas is usually REALLY good in his opinions but i think he got it completely wrong this time. The heller/mcdonald decisions effectively put our firearms rights subject to the whims of the federal government and completely nullified the states ability to say hell no to whatever crap washington cooks up.

That's also the exact ammendment that's being abused every day right now to stop the deportation of mexicans running across the border to squeeze out their anchor baby and bypass the immigration laws. It needs to be repealed or at the very least clarified through the ammendment process.

Well, I guess what gets me is, if people are deemed too dangerous to be out roaming the streets, what are they doing being released from prison or mental hospital in the first place?
Thank the ACLU for that one. Their efforts established case laws that have made it damn near impossible to involuntarily commit someone that is mentally ill to the point that they're incapable of running their own affairs properly. No suprise that homeless population numbers exploded after that happened.

Once people serve their time, they shouldn't still be subject to suspended civil liberties beyond their sentence. Even violent or sex offenders, once they've served their sentences and paid their debt to society, there should be nothing else required of them, such as registration, etc. If a particular violent or sexual offender needs to be monitored for the rest of his life, then it should be the judge that gives him a indeterminate Life sentence so that he/she will be under (parole) supervision for the rest of his/her life.
That's actually something i can agree with for the most part. If someone is that dangerous why have we not found a very deep dark hole to stuff him/her in where they'll never bother anyone again or just plain executed them. Prison should be about punishment, not rehabilitation. You can't rehabilitate a sociopath no matter how hard you try.
So we come round again to the ACLU and their allies that'll never let it become that way. Not much work for criminal defense lawyers unless criminals get out too early and have no fear of being locked up for a little while with time off for good behavior.

And even most mentally ill people function just fine once they recognize the source of their problems (their own minds) and take their medication diligently.
The lucky ones yes, but remember the old saying about horses and water.
Some people refuse to be helped by others if they even admit they need help.

While I agree that some people really shouldn't own guns, I don't think the government does a very good job determining who those particular people are...
Agree. How about that dangerous felon convicted of....littering (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=5749801). Might make you an asshole but it certainly does not justify the suspension of liberty for life.

1 Patriot-of-many
06-30-2011, 03:51 AM
Further proof the ACLU doesn't give one iota about Constitutional rights. After Heller they still haven't changed their tune. Proof positive they are all about the ANTI AMERICAN Leftist agenda, nothing more nothing less.

mriddick
06-30-2011, 04:44 AM
The 2nd is an individual right, the states should not have a right to supersede that anymore then we'd allow a state to over run any other right in the BOR.