PDA

View Full Version : Talk me in to / out of buying a CZ 452 FS. (.22 LR)

TheMightyGoat
08-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I never was a fan of mannlicher style stocks, until I walked into my favorite gun store one day and saw one of CZ's model 452s in person. I just became infatuated with its aesthetics on the spot. That was over a year ago. Ever since then, every time I walk into the place, I keep thinking someone will have cleaned out their inventory of the things so I won't have to be tempted by them. But no dice.

I keep fondling them each visit. I like the way they're built, and I'm impressed with the design of the safety as well. The reason I haven't bought one yet is that I already have three .22 LR rifles - a Henry lever-action that I shoot often, a 10/22 that I shoot less often, and a Marlin 25N that I never shoot. I do have a bit of spare cash right now, though, so I am considering it...

Thoughts?

Also, good to see the forum is back. It's been a while.

awp101
08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Get it. I have a 452 Trainer that I'm just plumb tickled with each time I take it out. Easily more accurate than I am. If/when the fund scrounging and availability of a 452FS coincide it will be mine...

awp101
08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
BTW, welcome back!:D

TheMightyGoat
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
BTW, welcome back!:D

Much appreciated. And for the advice as well. I think I am leaning towards "buy it".

awp101
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I'll tell ya what, buy it and if you don't like it I bet we can do some horse trading...:lool:

Kadmos
08-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds like maybe you should walk the Marlin 25N in there and see if you can hammer out a deal, maybe the 10/22 also.

BTW which Henry do you have and what is it you like about it..been thinking of getting their cheaper one...kinda the same thing, walk by it and my eyes go to it pretty often. I think it's the whole front loading that throws me off though.

TheMightyGoat
08-06-2010, 11:08 PM
BTW which Henry do you have and what is it you like about it..been thinking of getting their cheaper one...kinda the same thing, walk by it and my eyes go to it pretty often. I think it's the whole front loading that throws me off though.

Right, I have the cheaper one as well, without the cowboy lever. I like it because it's a well balanced little rifle that never feels intrusive or cumbersome to tote around plinking. Holds more rounds than any bolt gun would. I like having an external hammer to manipulate for a safety or to disengage. (No bullshit orange protrusions to warn me I could shoot myself on this thing.) It's also more accurate than my Marlin bolt-action .22, which surprised me at first. It's an all-around fun rifle. Two things I don't like about it are the plastic barrel band and the painted receiver. But, these are considerations for the price point I'm sure. I have had no issues with the rifle's performance, and neither paint nor plastic have threatened to fail as of yet.

awp101
08-06-2010, 11:23 PM
At one time Henry would send a metal replacement barrel band for the asking IIRC.

Meat-Hook
08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
get it!

Ive got a CZ 453 American in .17 HMR. I topped that puppy with a Leupold 3X9 scope.
Sweet rifle. CZ normally come with nice wood on them.

make to post pics/range report when you get it:)