PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Grits Old Grump Style

old Grump
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Cheese Grits

Prepare chicken broth the day before you make the cheese grits.

In a heavy pot add a whole chicken skin and all of the bones.

Add 1 each celery stalk, small onion, carrot, parsley all chopped fairly small.

A few twists from the sea salt shaker and twice that of the ground peppercorn.

Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to bring the stock to barely a simmer. Simmer uncovered at least 6 hours, skim off the surface foam about every 30 minutes.
Remove the bones and strain the stock, cool and refrigerate.

Prepare the garlic just before starting the cheese grits.

1. In cast iron skillet melt ¼ stick butter over medium heat.
Add a garlic bulb after breaking off the buds and skinning them.
Stir often to prevent burning the butter or the garlic.

4. Pick two buds and a table spoon of butter and mash the buds with the spoon.

Set the rest of the garlic in the refrigerator for the next dish

Ingredients

6 cups chicken broth
½ t sea salt
½ t peppercorn
2 mashed buds of garlic
2 cups regular grits
16 ounces Cheddar, cubed
1/2 cup milk
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
8 ounces grated sharp white Cheddar

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.

Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan.

Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the cubed Cheddar and milk and stir.

Stir in the eggs and butter slowly a little at a time, stir until everything is combined.

Pour the grit mix into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with the white Cheddar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

Kadmos
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Sounds tasty

But

What's a grit?

2 cups regular grits

Do they come in irregular?

davepool
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Sounds tasty

But

What's a grit?

A grit is one tiny piece of coarsely ground hominy or sometimes corn, many of them in a pile on your plate are grits :)

Kadmos
06-29-2011, 09:43 PM
A grit is one tiny piece of coarsely ground hominy or sometimes corn, many of them in a pile on your plate are grits :)

Oh, I think here they call it "mush"

FunkyPertwee
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
That recipe seems overly long and complicated, although tasty.

Grits should be cooked with milk or cream, and should not be baked. Its not a casserole. Just cook grits with milk, add salt and black pepper, and stir in your cheese of choice. I like sharp chedder and habenero white chedder. If I want eggs I fry them in bacon grease and leave the yolk runny in the center. I often just mix up a bowl of grits, cheese, bacon fired eggs, and bacon.

I'll have to try it with broth though!

Schuetzenman
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
It sounds good, but must have a ton of colesteral in it.

davepool
06-29-2011, 10:34 PM

I think it's called mush when it's made from corn, i ate a lot of fried mush when i lived with my grandparents. My grandma was an old farm girl from east oklahoma before they moved to phoenix. In their house growing up we ate hominy grits at breakfast and mush for supper, honestly i think it was the same stuff just cooked differently

old Grump
06-29-2011, 11:54 PM

Grits should be cooked with milk or cream, and should not be baked. Its not a casserole. Just cook grits with milk, add salt and black pepper, and stir in your cheese of choice. I like sharp chedder and habenero white chedder. If I want eggs I fry them in bacon grease and leave the yolk runny in the center. I often just mix up a bowl of grits, cheese, bacon fired eggs, and bacon.

It sounds good, but must have a ton of colesteral in it.
This is a casserole not a quick and easy comfort food dish and if you are worried about fats and cholesterol you don't want to dig into this.

Quick and easy would be using canned broth, garlic powder, and regular salt with half as much pepper. I warned you at the get go this was Old Grump style from my days when I didn't worry about calories or fat content. This isn't for the faint of heart or those with a weak heart. :coffee:

FunkyPertwee
06-29-2011, 11:56 PM
This is a casserole not a quick and easy comfort food dish and if you are worried about fats and cholesterol you don't want to dig into this.

Quick and easy would be using canned broth, garlic powder, and regular salt with half as much pepper. I warned you at the get go this was Old Grump style from my days when I didn't worry about calories or fat content. This isn't for the faint of heart or those with a weak heart. :coffee:

You'll be hard pressed to find someone less concerened with fat and calories. :D

Schuetzenman
06-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Mush, who calls it Mush?!

Ronwicp
06-30-2011, 08:21 AM
cheese grits are grits with cheese in them.

Kadmos
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM

The blacks?

FunkyPertwee
06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
The blacks?

Maybe inner city blacks from up north. Down here they say grits just like I do. Well, maybe more like "gruts".

renegadebuck
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Sounds tasty

But

What's a grit?

No, but they do come in instant that tastes like anything instant.

cheese grits are grits with cheese in them.

The title did say OG style, not your style.

Sounds good OG!

Mark Ducati
06-30-2011, 04:35 PM
I like my grits with "Red Eye Gravy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okHWudHfdpU

Ronwicp
06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
The title did say OG style, not your style.

Yeah, I saw that when I clicked the link. Thanks though.

JTHunter
07-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Sounds tasty
But
What's a grit?

Have you ever had the hot cereal called "Cream of Wheat"? How about "Malt-O-Meal"? Grits is like those but a bit coarser.

old Grump
07-03-2011, 05:17 AM

I think it's called mush when it's made from corn, i ate a lot of fried mush when i lived with my grandparents. My grandma was an old farm girl from east oklahoma before they moved to phoenix. In their house growing up we ate hominy grits at breakfast and mush for supper, honestly i think it was the same stuff just cooked differently

The blacks?
Mush is corn meal not Grits. I like it made into patties and then fried. If you add sausage to the corn meal mush before frying it you have scrapple. I didn't know we had so many city kids here. :laugh:

Lysander
07-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I prefer a mix of heavy cream and chicken stock when making my grits. Milk (unless you use whole) tends to make it runny.

All in all, not a bad recipe for a damnyankee.

old Grump
07-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I prefer a mix of heavy cream and chicken stock when making my grits. Milk (unless you use whole) tends to make it runny.

All in all, not a bad recipe for a damnyankee.Is fresh from the cow and not processed in a dairy first whole enough for you. I see I am going to have to re post the definition of a yankee for you since the old one is lost in the old Gunsnet file somewhere. Man I miss not being able to do a search on some tuff I know was there and can't get to.

FunkyPertwee
07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I use whole milk in my grits.

old Grump
07-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Grandma used condensed milk because that's what grandpa used in his coffee. He thought the only thing milk was good for was making butter and feeding to us kids.

mriddick
07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
It's an old cooking trick to use stock (or wine or some other flavored liquid depending on the end product) in place of water a recipe calls for, it just ups the flavor ante whenever you do.

old Grump
07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
That's why I used to use white wine instead of milk for scrambled eggs, red wine tasted the same but the eggs turned green and I had some people refuse to eat them. :lmao3:

I use coke or Dr, pepper for chocolate or devils food cake and 7 up or ginger ale in white or yellow cakes.

Sherry or red wine in my BBQ sauce, beer in my chili and in dogs and sauerkraut. I don't drink anymore but I didn't give up on using the beverages.

If I have a recovering alcoholic as a guest I will use a beef broth in place of beer in a recipe, still tastes good and I don't upset anybody. Anybody who says there is only one way to do things isn't trying very hard.

az_paul
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Interesting thread!

At age 71, you'd think i know better, but I put a big slab of butter on my grits along with plenty of salt and some pepper.

Same with using half & half with scrambled eggs.

Schuetzenman
07-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Interesting thread!

At age 71, you'd think i know better, but I put a big slab of butter on my grits along with plenty of salt and some pepper.

Same with using half & half with scrambled eggs.
Pfft. Nobody lives forever. Sure, we'd all like to be 100 but few of us will. I have no illusions about living overly long. I watch some things, but don't obcess over what's in all my food and I never drink diet soda pop. That aspertame crap is no good for anybody. I eat red meat, just not every day. Tomorrow being the forth I am having some nice NY Strips I'm going to grill and won't think twice about eating it.

JTHunter
07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Sure, we'd all like to be 100 - - -

What ever gave you THAT idea?!?!? :dizzy: :big-eye-eek:
Of course, with DUMBO-care, none of us "gun-nuts" will be allowed to get that old. We will be among the first senoirs going before those "medical review panels". :copper: :pray: :crying: :suicideju0: