PDA

View Full Version : Any knife or hawk throwers out there?

Richard Simmons
06-30-2011, 12:55 PM
I've got three differnet sets of Hibben throwers and enjoy the activity quite a bit. To be perfectly honest I'm a pretty darn good thrower. Can't get them to stick most of the time, hell can't even get them to hit point first all that often but boy can I throw'em. :dancingsmile:

Actually, one of my goals this summer is to take/make the time to get in some practice and develop a little skill. I have found that the larger of my three sets is the easier to throw and were I to offer any suggestions to someone looking at getting a set I'd say that larger, within reason, is probably better.

Been eyeing a couple of newer/Vietnam style tomahawks both as a tool and perhaps for some throwing but haven't dropped any cash as of yet. If anyone has any throwing time with anything please feel free to post pics and or comments/stories. The Steel Kingdom is a large one.

old Grump
06-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm with you on the knife throwing, I can get them there but not the way I want them to go. If it looks like an axe, battle axe, tomahawk woodsmans axe well I'm your guy, Used to win more than a few bragging rights but knives, I really really suck at it.

alismith
06-30-2011, 06:30 PM
I have two throwing knives and am starting to get pretty good at throwing them. Praticing a little every day now.

As for a throwing axe, I've worn out one Cold Steel Battle Axe and am working on another. The CS Battle axe is a natural thrower and sticks more than not, and that's just starting out. With practice, you can get it to stick about 85% of the time. I hope to get better than that as time progresses.

Flinter
06-30-2011, 09:46 PM
I learned to throw a hawk years ago. It's all about range estimation. A hawk should spin one turn every 5 feet.

I won't pretend to be an expert...Lord knows I've broken many handles and had my share of "thunks". It is a fun hobby though.

arcangel
06-30-2011, 10:27 PM
United cutlery M48 hawk and Ka-Bar fighter tanto serrated. I throw the hawk often, and it sticks most of the time. Its a very natural thrower and pretty light. Most of the time I just use it for bow making, splitting the stave and tillering. For under $50 I cant complain. Its done a lot of work for me and holds a well enough edge. I dont throw the Ka-Bar though.

Partisan1983
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I've really wanted to get into it. Every Renaissance Festival, I always participate in those events and I love it.

I of course suck at it, but I find 'em a lot of fun still.

Schuetzenman
07-01-2011, 06:12 AM
I've thrown both in my Muzzle Loading competition days. I throw a knife just like I throw a Hawk, same hand position, same foot movements. Works pretty good that way. Most of the compititions were about accuracy and getting it stuck in the target. Therefore I never concentraited on distance, just accuracy and getting it to stick. As such my prime distance was about 15 feet more or less. I would cut my Hawk handles down to what looks more like the length of a modern hachet handle.

I hold the handle near the bottom so the handle is flush with the bottom edge of my hand. I put my thumb up the handle with my 4 fingers wrapped around the handle, be it hawk or knife. The weapon is held 90° to your forearm and released during the swing when it is verticle up during the swing of my arm. I do not bend my elbow, I rotate from the shoulder only keeping my wrist locked. So when my arm is parallel to the ground that's when I release.

All that said, I haven't thrown a hawk or knife in possibly 20+ years.

Dieselbuilder
07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Don't try and POWER THROW the hawk, just a nice easy throw and release as described by Schuetzenman. Let the weight of the hawk do the work.

old Grump
07-04-2011, 05:23 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg5/scaled.php?server=5&filename=throwingblades.jpg&res=medium

Missing is a set of knives and my M48 Tac Hawk. The M48 hasn't arrived yet, the missing knives has me worried, looks like I better do some house cleaning in my shop. The big fat brown handles are Paki made but what the heck, they throw just fine, The knives and one axe are Hibben and I have no idea where I got the other 2 hawks from. I suppose I could have showed my darts and Shuriken but that would have cluttered up the picture something terrible. Truth is they look pretty but I don't throw them for beans. I'll leave them for the movie stars. :biggrina:

arcangel
07-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Sweet set up Grump.

cevulirn
07-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm thinking about getting a cold steel 'Trench Hawk' and I have a set of Gil Hibben throwing knives, all beat up from use. Not that I'm any good with them...

Izzy
07-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Here are some hawks I like for throwing:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

I used to throw a Steel alloy "blackhawk" hatchet...very heavy but almost indestructable.

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4934-121-074&Category_Code=842-100-000

Dieselbuilder
07-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Here are some hawks I like for throwing:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

I used to throw a Steel alloy "blackhawk" hatchet...very heavy but almost indestructable.

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4934-121-074&Category_Code=842-100-000
Blackhawk is my current throwing hawk. Works like a champ.