PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Attacks Horse In Juneau County

old Grump
08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Horse Attacked On Neck

http://www.channel3000.com/2010/0617/23939923_240X180.jpg

The latest attack happened east of Elroy early Monday morning, when a horse was attacked for the second time in a few months. The horse was attacked on the neck, but it wasn't killed.

Last month, a cow was mauled by a cougar, WISC-TV reported.

The Department of Natural Resources confirmed that a cougar is responsible for at least three fatal attacks on livestock and several nonfatal attacks.

"This was confirmed as a cougar attack," said Sherry Jones, who owns the horse.
Jones said she woke Monday morning to her dogs barking, and she knew something was wrong.

"We got up and opened the patio door. The large, white horse came running up the valley just fast, turned around, whinnied for the other horse, and that one never came," said Jones.

She said she found Chief, her elderly, arthritic 1,200-pound horse, bleeding from the neck.

She said the horse is slow and an easy target for a cougar. She said the horse has been attacked twice in the last three months.

The DNR has previously confirmed a kill on her property this spring.
A 35-pound Icelandic lamb was killed just 20 feet from Jones' home.

Down the road, Kristi Kielstrup said she was shocked to hear a cougar is killing so close.

"I don't know where in Wonewoc it had been, but when they said it was up here, I was like, 'Oh my God,'" said Kielstrup.

DNR officials agree, saying the big cat could be a danger after showing signs of becoming habituated to hunting livestock.

"They're very elusive and, within a matter of moments, it could be off my land and on somebody else's. There's no way to keep it in," said Jones. She said her horse Chief is standing and eating and should be OK.

Because of the recent attacks on her property, Jones said she now fears letting her children stray too far from the house. She said she won't work on her strawberry bed without someone else watching over her safety.

The DNR is asking for help finding the cougar. It's asking anyone who spots it to contact the Wildlife Services Hotline at 800-433-0663.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/23938175/detail.html

After years of the DNR in Wisconsin telling us there are no cougars in Wisconsin they are now asking for help in finding and capturing or killing this one. Of course they don't mention killing but sharpshooters, (?), have been brought in to help in putting down the cougar but so far with no luck.

El Jefe
08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
DNR does the same thing here in Missouri, even after they're killed on the highway and turned into them. Nope, no cats here.

Dr_Scholl
08-06-2010, 10:17 PM
DNR does the same thing here in Missouri, even after they're killed on the highway and turned into them. Nope, no cats here.

Cougars have supposedly been extinct in Virginia since the late 19th century, but every year a couple of sightings are reported. Usually these sightings are in the mountains but occasionally you'll have one in the Dismal Swamp. The Dismal Swamp sightings are probably bobcats but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few still hanging on in the Appalachians. That part of the state is pretty remote.

El Jefe
08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Cougars have supposedly been extinct in Virginia since the late 19th century, but every year a couple of sightings are reported. Usually these sightings are in the mountains but occasionally you'll have one in the Dismal Swamp. The Dismal Swamp sightings are probably bobcats but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few still hanging on in the Appalachians. That part of the state is pretty remote.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. There's not a lot of em, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Batwing
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
the Michigan DNR still denies their existence here in NW lower Michigan also,although my neighbor swears him and his boys seen one,they will deny them until some kid gets dragged off and hidden under a brush pile

JVD
08-06-2010, 10:27 PM
The DNR is a bunch of dumbfucks.

Bluntforce
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
There's one about 1/2 a mile from my house. One mauled a little girl seven years ago, but they don't exist here. The hunting regulations even say you can't kill them, odd seeing as how they don't exist. :gruebel:

JTHunter
08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Typical bureaucrats. All because of the Endangered Species Act.

Batwing
08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
There's one about 1/2 a mile from my house. One mauled a little girl seven years ago, but they don't exist here. The hunting regulations even say you can't kill them, odd seeing as how they don't exist. :gruebel:

DNR officer told me the same thing here,that is quite odd isn't it ? :D

Hedning
08-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Over here in Norway we are having one hell of a discussion arround the predators killing livestock. 2010 havent been that bad. 841 domestic animals have been killed so far this summer. In 2007 way over a thousand was killed. Mostly by bear, bobcat and wolf.

Thing over here is that those who own the livestock let them loose in the open country. No protection what so ever. I feel sorry for the animals that gets half eaten, but its still the way of the nature. IMO you cant kill a predator for being a predator. BUT you should kill it while you protect whats yours, and without any further discussion. I do not feel sorry for those who loose livestock if they dont protect them. That said, if you kill a bear when its chasing your livestock you will most likely face a lot of trouble. And thats what the big issue over here. You can not protect yourself or your animals without facing trouble.

If I kill a wolf while Im hunting moose, just to protect my dog, I would most likely get arrested. I kid you not.... The "predator protectors" over here are stone crazy. Last year 28 dogs got killed during hunting. Two while they where still in a leash held by the hunter. One guy killed 3 bobcats, he got arrested and they took all his guns. Took his hunting license aswell. O hey what a big mess. He got all of his guns back, and his license, but it took a while.

I dont know how things are over there, but arround where I live, the predator problem is a big issue. Not because we dont know how to handle it, but by handling it we end up in jail..... Bottom line is, if you have to protect yourself or your close ones. Shoot and get the damn thing on a train. Cause the "predator protectors" put radio/gps receivers under their skin, you dont want them to find a killed wolf on your land.

The only place over here that got a good policy on the matter is our island up north. Svalbard. By law you have to carry a firearm good enough to kill a polarbear whenever leaving city limits. One guy had to kill one last week. He killed the bear while it was dragging his friend by the head out of their tent..... I guess he had to change underwear after that encounter.. Even more scary than waking up with a Russian sledge thrower on o sunday morning.

Anybody that know where I can get a nice shoulder holster for a 7" 1911?

mriddick
08-12-2010, 05:40 PM
It seems like the cougar knows the elderly arthritic horse should be put down more then the owner does.

aliceinchains
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Feel sorry for the horse but the hell with cat shoot the SOB. Hey game commission kiss my ass.

Blacksmith
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
It seems like the cougar knows the elderly arthritic horse should be put down more then the owner does.

It’s damn hard to put down an old friend. especially if it’s just arthritis.

Arnulf
08-12-2010, 06:39 PM
In my area we have had 1 horse killed by a Mtn Lion and 1 mauled......but survived.

Mark Ducati
08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.wrjc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/horse-attack.jpg

That's gonna leave a mark.

old Grump
08-12-2010, 07:00 PM
The horse was in its pasture, old but still loved and deserved better. Do you want somebody to put you down as soon as you get arthritis, bad knees and failing eyesight or would you like to enjoy some time while you are still able to appreciate a beautiful day. If that is the case I'd better start checking the view from my windows before I open my door and go outside.

alismith
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Out west, mountain lions have historically attacked and eaten wild horses. It's one of the few predators horses have. The lion was only doing what it's designed to do.

However, people have the right to protect themselves and their animals. If the lion's lucky, he'll not be seen again, but if he's developed a taste for horse meat and knows he can catch them in pastures, he'll strike again.

Hopefully, the vet can mend that horse.

I'd be keeping a close eye on the horse from now on.

Since mountain lions don't exist in that state, maybe it was a Bigfoot attack...or a chupacabra...:shss:

Batwing
08-12-2010, 10:55 PM
In my area we have had 1 horse killed by a Mtn Lion and 1 mauled......but survived.

hmm,I was thinkin someone down in Jackson county had a pic of some at his sisters house last winter

mriddick
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
The horse was in its pasture, old but still loved and deserved better. Do you want somebody to put you down as soon as you get arthritis, bad knees and failing eyesight or would you like to enjoy some time while you are still able to appreciate a beautiful day. If that is the case I'd better start checking the view from my windows before I open my door and go outside.
I was referring to the cougar knowing the horse was weak and how they instinctly attack the weak, that's why it's not much of a surprise it attacked the horse so close to the house as expressed in the article.

Bluntforce
08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Anybody that know where I can get a nice shoulder holster for a 7" 1911?

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters/us_holsters4.htm

For concealed carry/more civilian fit try Dillon's Blue Press online catalog. They advertise an X pattern "Jackass" rig that fits under a suit jacket.

Dr_Scholl
08-13-2010, 01:31 AM
So if cougars don't exist here, I won't get in trouble for shooting one?

HDR
08-13-2010, 05:08 AM

If I saw one, I'd grab the camera. If it showed aggression towards me; it is dead.

Bluntforce
08-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Didn't have one when I saw it. I keep the dogs inside at night. The horse is in a corral next to the front yard and it hasn't messed with the goats.

Unfortunately I work at night now, so if it does attack something here I'll probably be gone (it's my night off).

They are putting a pipeline in on my section, lots of heavy equipment parked on this and the next section since I live close to the road. Couldn't shoot w/o expecting to hit something, barn, house, our vehicles, the pipeline co. vehicles, outbuildings with fuel, propane tank, etc.

If it gets in the yard or corral it's too late, unless I want to try to stab it. I don't think that's a workable course of action.

Partisan1983
08-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Saw one in Lapeer County 2 years ago this summer. Had an interesting conversation with the DNR about it.

Had a wolf run into me up in Charlevoix county about 7 or so years ago, when I was hunting. Scared the shit outta me. I was sitting on the ground with my back against a tree in the middle of the woods, when he crossed the direction I was looking.....about 30 yards or so away. It stopped and turned it's head and stared at me for about 30 seconds, then kept on going in the direction it was originally headed.

Blacksmith
08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Couldn't shoot w/o expecting to hit something, barn, house, our vehicles, the pipeline co. vehicles, outbuildings with fuel, propane tank, etc.

If it gets in the yard or corral it's too late, unless I want to try to stab it. I don't think that's a workable course of action.

Twelve gauge shells loaded with rock salt is pretty damn lethal at close range.

old Grump
08-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Twelve gauge shells loaded with rock salt is pretty damn lethal at close range.
Not quite unless you are about 3 or 4 yards away when you shoot. The Salt is to light, sheds velocity to fast, spreads out to much. Might sting at 10 yards but it won't kill anything, guaranteed to piss off critter with large teeth and an intense dislike for you. If you are going to use shot I would use at least #3 shot out of 3" or 3 1/2" shells and 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz. loads. I'd feel better about a rifle and apologize for any equipment shot up later. Safety of me and my critters comes before a section of drainage pipe or an equipment trailer. Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur who has stood face to face with a mountain lion up close and personal and would rather not do so again.