PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Shop Woes

ltorlo64
07-02-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't know why I go to Bangor Sub Base Uniform Shop. It is amazing how little they know about uniforms in that shop, well in the Tailor Shop. Here are a couple of examples;

Before I was promoted from Lieutenant (LT) to Lieutenant Commander (LCDR) I left on deployment. I knew I would be promoted while I was gone so I took 3 uniforms (coveralls) to the Tailor Shop to get collar devices sewed on. I took in one set of LT bars and two sets of LCDR oak leaves. I explained I wanted one set of coveralls to be done as a LT and the other two sets as LCDR. After a couple of weeks, the Tailor Shop called my wife and asked if I knew what I was doing. She said yes and they thanked her and hung up. I went in a couple of days later to pick up my uniforms. What I found was they had sewn one set of LT bars on each collar, and on the other collar was a LCDR oak leaf. Remember I only gave them one set of LT bars? They decided I was stupid so the got another set of LT bars, which they were going to charge me for. This was just days before I was to leave. It took me about 20 minutes to get them to understand what they did wrong. And another 2 days for them to fix it so I could pick them up.

The latest thing that happened had to do with my medals. I took my medals in to get them mounted. One of my medals gets a silver star and a gold start on it. When I went in to pick up my medals the stars were in the wrong order. I asked them for a copy of the Uniform Regulations so I could show them what they needed to do. Instead of showing me the Uniform Regs, the seamstress showed me a Vangaurd poster, a manufacters advertisement for military decorations, and she said that they were correct in accordance with the poster. I insisted on getting a copy of the Uniform Regs, which they were finally able to find. It scares me that the Tailor shop puts together our uniforms without refering to the Uniform Regs. It is not like we can get the tailoring done out in town. First, tailor shops are not that prevalent, second, they would have less understanding of what I am asking for than the Navy's Tailor Shop does. Well, I would think they would have less understanding.

Actually, the Bangor Tailor Shop is the only one I have had trouble with. So the best answer would be to stop going there.

Partisan1983
07-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Oh man....the problems my father has gone through over the years with Uniform shops and tailors....not to mention the dry cleaners.

Schuetzenman
07-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Wow, just wow! Well, I guess this does define the IQ of those employed in tailor shops. They are there for a reason.

ltorlo64
07-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Wow, just wow! Well, I guess this does define the IQ of those employed in tailor shops. They are there for a reason.

That, and they generally cannot speak English well.

old Grump
07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Was never there but had fast good service in the Philippines and in Hong Kong, in fact I got married in my Hong Kong uniform.

We had a boot Ensigh who ordered a new uniform but he didn't trust those sleazy shops on the strip and went to a fancy mens clothing store and used their tailor services. He was getting promoted to JG the day after we were to leave on a Med deployment. Sure enough he didn't check his uniform and a week later we had a full dress inspection. Our XO wanted to show the Commodore how spiffy his crew was.

Long story short he comes out to quarters in his brand spanking new uniform and presents us to the XO, Captain and the Commodore all nice and smart. Then the Chief Master At Arms all red faced and his cheeks puffed out like a blow fish stops the whole parade by standing in the way of the JG and stared at his pants, his cuffs to be exact. Everybody has to have one of those days I guess but I think most would prefer it to not be so public. The only time in my memory the entire Division felt sorry for that particular officer.