PDA

View Full Version : Romanian SKS Gas Tube woes...

JetFuelBurner
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
It appears after a full cleaning, inspection and shake down, my new to me Romanian SKS from Hunters Lodge...although in very good condition...has a worn out gas tube. Did a parts swap with my as new 54 Tula and narrowed it down that way.

Question: Anyone know where I can get a new Gas Tube WITHOUT the plastic handguard? I want to keep the wood as it's actually in very good contition. I know I could just buy the Intrafuse one and remove the handguard but I feel I'd be wasting a few bucks and more importantly...my time. I googled sks gas tube and went about 10 pages in with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

FunkyPertwee
07-07-2011, 03:23 PM
How is your gas tube "worn out"?

JetFuelBurner
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Not pitted worn, just too much gas getting by the gas piston.

First I swapped the gas tube and gas piston with the Russians tube and piston and it worked fine. Then I swapped gas pistons with the Russian but used the Romy gas tube and it still failed to pick up and feed the new round. I used the Russian gas tube with the piston from the Romy and it functioned fine. I then put the Romy piston in the Romy tube, blew into it and got a lot more blow by than doing the same with the Russian ones.

Had a Yugo do this in the past. It was pitted to heck though. The Romy's not pitted, just worn I s'pose. They're advertised as such. Other than that, it's in exceptionally good shape. Muzzle gauges only 1.5 over. Metal finish and stock condition both VG.

Schuetzenman
07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Investigate SARCO and Numerich Arms / Gun Parts Corp. You might be able to get a gas tube there.

JetFuelBurner
07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I've tried all the normal places. Everybody has the same setup...gas tube with the black plastic handguard. You used to be able to buy just the gas tube. Not any more I guess.

abpt1
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I might have a gas tube down stairs let me check ....

JetFuelBurner
07-09-2011, 07:47 PM
appreciate it...