PDA

View Full Version : Garand clips won't stay in.

1 Patriot-of-many
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Garand clips won't stay in.

Haven't disassembled it to figure out WTH the problem is...

The little nub that holds the clips down doesn't stick out till I pull ALL the way back on the cocking handle. I get a couple bullets fired and the clip pops most of the way out.

Quick diagnosis anyone?

Richard Simmons
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Worn clip latch, weak clip latch spring are the two that come to mind. Also check the follower arm and it's pin for wear.

Bluntforce
07-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Worn clip latch, weak clip latch spring are the two that come to mind. Also check the follower arm and it's pin for wear.

+1 Most likely worn out Clip latch spring. Check clip latch for wear and replace Clip latch spring no matter what.

Bluntforce
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
One more thing, when you test fire it next wear a hat that provides padding to the top of the head or is hard like a baseball cap that still has a piece of shaping cardboard in it or a brimmed sunhat that has a stiff top.

If the damned clip ejects after the first shot the remaining seven cartridges will remain in the clip and they will slam violently onto the top of your head if you shoot right handed. It will feel like a hammer hitting you on the top of the head. The close nerve endings and ample blood supply magnify the effect. A fair amount of shit will be knocked out of you.

I've had this happen several times and while it is incredibly funny for everyone else to witness or read about on Gunsnet later it will suck prodigiously to be the one this happens to.

Schuetzenman
07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Yep, clip latch, clip latch spring and check the pin the clip latch rotates on. I have seen these bent that allowed the clip to release prematurely.

1 Patriot-of-many
07-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Okay that's wierd, I disassembled just out of the stock. played around with it. Now it's fine cycling by hand. and the button seems to move more than it did. Could the spring have been crooked in there or something? I suppose I should disassemble the clip latch like you guys said and get a new spring. Fine now though. Very wierd.

l921428x
07-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Could it just have been stuck or dirty?

Bluntforce
07-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Okay that's wierd, I disassembled just out of the stock. played around with it. Now it's fine cycling by hand. and the button seems to move more than it did. Could the spring have been crooked in there or something? I suppose I should disassemble the clip latch like you guys said and get a new spring. Fine now though. Very wierd.

Mine was FUBAR with "repair" being what the R stood for. Yours may be fine. In the early 90s when my Garand trauma played out the Clip Latch Spring was 60 cents from GPC/Numerich Arms.

Test fire it. If it works, fine. If it doesn't inspect the Clip Latch for wear, the clip latch pin for bends and replace the clip latch spring unless there is a way to measure the spring for strength.

I hope your M1 story has a happier ending than mine because I loved the history, look and feel of the rifle. I didn't like the hammering of a seven round clip on the top of the head one damned bit though.