PDA

View Full Version : AK Drum mags

sisyphus
08-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I got a sweet deal on a Chikom 75-rd drum locally and it works really well. I've seen the Russian design and the Romanian copy of the Chikom but don't know how they compare other than how the Russian unit works. I've heard the Romy copies of the Chinese wind-up style are not very good, but you know how people and mechanical things sometimes don't mix well. Any first-hand opinions with these things?

El Laton Caliente
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
The Chinese made a few variations of their drums; the best are stamped Polytech. The Polies are made a little heavier and have a spring loaded winding key and rattle less. I rate the Chinese as about the best. I've heard the Bulgarian reproduction of the Chinese is about as good.

Romania, Yugoslavia and Russia made the older Russian version of the drum that loaded from the top.

Nobody made the Chinese drum except the Chinese until a couple years ago. Now, IIRC, Romania, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia all make a varient of those. The Romanians I've handled do not have the fit & finish of the older Chinese. The Bulgarian seems almost the same as the Chinese, but I've never fired either. I have yet to even see a Yugo version, but if like their other offerings, I'd guess they would be the best.

slamfire51
08-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I've owned the Chinese and top load Romy. Both worked just fine. I liked the back load because of ease.
I sold both because I couldn't find a practical use for either. Nice novelty mags.

sisyphus
08-07-2010, 06:29 PM
This one's only marked with 36 inside a triangle. No mention of Polytech on it. I'll have to check-out the ones selling for 100 bucks or less lately to see how they compare.

Thanks E.L.C. & Slam

slamfire51
08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
This one's only marked with 36 inside a triangle. No mention of Polytech on it. I'll have to check-out the ones selling for 100 bucks or less lately to see how they compare.

Thanks E.L.C. & Slam

http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1146681779

Google is your friend.

El Laton Caliente
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks E.L.C. & Slam

IIRC, that is what I call the intermeadiate grade Chinese. They are better than the unmaked but not quite as well made as the Polys. I still consider all Chinese superior to the Romanians and pretty much all Russian design drums because of the ease of loading. I've never had a FTF from one except when I forgot to wind it...

Bluntforce
08-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a Romanian one, back loader. It's fun to shoot, not fun to carry. No problems yet, have not used it enough for that statement to have ANY weight though.

The pouch with leather belt loop and leather straps inside is an almost impossible fit. This is a Romanian pouch to be worn on a belt. It has no extra room where it needs it. The Chinese over-the-shoulder strap versions are almost certainly better because the stuffed in drum would not be glued to your belt as you try to rip it free.

One of those shoulder/hip bastard rigs with the water pockets and extra pockets would be a better choice for carrying the drum.

I like the drum, it is completely impractical for me because of my short arms and the weight soon becomes a PITA, but everything's weight does as soon as you start to carry it.

imanaknut
08-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I like the Chinese drums because they are a great way to store ammo since there is no tension on the spring until you are ready to use them.

Am interested to hear more reports on the European copies.

Bluntforce
09-06-2010, 12:11 AM
I like the Chinese drums because they are a great way to store ammo since there is no tension on the spring until you are ready to use them.

Am interested to hear more reports on the European copies.

I use mine to store ammo also for the same reason.

It was recently pointed out to me that the pouch that I didn't like much would not interfere with the handle/crank mechanism so that all that's needed in operation is to pull the top cover off and insert the drum into the mag well. It can be fired with the Romanian pouch covering the body of the drum and thereby protecting it cosmetically if dropped afterward.

new ak47 2010
10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
my korean 75 round drum shoots and fits perfect! definatly buy one!!!:wildshooter:

ATAK, Inc.
10-26-2010, 11:50 AM
A little off topic, but if you want/need a pouch for the AK drum, get a RPD pouch, the drum fits nicely and is not a pita to get in and out. I forget who has them, MGS or APEX might have them.

I've never had a problem with my 36 stamped drums or my one Romy top loader, just impractical for most situations unless you are in a fortified position! lol

Yuri
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Has anyone tried that 75 rd. drum from American Tactical? www.cdnnsports.com sells it for 69.00 bucks. If so, what is your take on it?
Thanks, Yuri

romak10/63UF
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I have a chinese 100 round drum mag i got for 49.99 about a year ago the person who i bought it from didnt know who or what it was.. I did kinda feel bad for not paying 250.00 dollars but come on now ... It was a steal of a deal .... I have never tried a 75 round drum i have always stuck to my 100 rounder....

Bluntforce
04-11-2011, 03:36 PM
A little off topic, but if you want/need a pouch for the AK drum, get a RPD pouch, the drum fits nicely and is not a pita to get in and out. I forget who has them, MGS or APEX might have them.

Good Idea, I just like to have web gear for all my hardware. The one I have was truly a waste of money as hard as it is to get the drum in and out of. I have to wonder why they are built so tight.

AKTexas
04-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Good Idea, I just like to have web gear for all my hardware. The one I have was truly a waste of money as hard as it is to get the drum in and out of. I have to wonder why they are built so tight.

What about a SAW pouch? Think these wind up drums would fit?

binky59
05-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Has anyone tried that 75 rd. drum from American Tactical? www.cdnnsports.com sells it for 69.00 bucks. If so, what is your take on it?
Thanks, Yuri

Yep, I have a couple of the backloader ATI Drums, love em' except for one thing.....Man do I eat up ammo when I use these! I've got it down to being able to load the drum about as fast as I can hand load a 30rnd mag..
Cost is high for fun!

Partisan1983
05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Anyone know anything about the 77rd 5.45 drums?

slamfire51
05-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Anyone know anything about the 77rd 5.45 drums?

They are converted 7.62x39 drums.
Cope's Distributing has/had them for $299.00.

Barrel exchange converts them.
http://barrelxchange.com/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8K6ZSVHji4

Viking350
05-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Yep, I have a couple of the backloader ATI Drums, love em' except for one thing.....Man do I eat up ammo when I use these! I've got it down to being able to load the drum about as fast as I can hand load a 30rnd mag..
Cost is high for fun!

CDNN has a special now on those mags. Buy one and get One AK 762x39 40rd Slabside Bulgarian Mag #C40C FREE

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak7675drnewa1.html

slamfire51
05-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Are the ATI drums made in Korea?

Viking350
05-14-2011, 06:14 PM

don't know. I just assumed they were the same because they are:

1. 75 rounds.
2. $69.00
3. The part number at cdnn is ATIMARK4775-C40C.

Wild Bill
05-14-2011, 10:49 PM
I do not know. They seem like a good deal though with a free bulgarian slad 40 round magazine.

binky59
05-24-2011, 02:07 PM

The box says Korea, but most of the ones that you see now were imported by ATI using a european supplier. That supplier was busted for bringing arms in from China.
The feds raided ATI's warehouses and took their records, computers and files. The article that was in the news here stated that ATI bought 5000 75 round drums from
this european importer that they thought were from Bulgaria.They sold all but a few drums to dealers around the US. It turns out that the drums were made in China, and were considered illegal to import. Those drums have no markings other than the ATI logo printed on the windup key. I have compared mine with other Chinese drums and there is no difference.

Partisan1983
05-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Anyone know if these are any good?

And what 5.56 AK's they will fit ?

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=195_194&products_id=3201