PDA

View Full Version : The penalty for wanting to show off

old Grump
07-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I went to the 100 yard range with a 50 yard target a large clean back board in my target frame and my old 45 with a box of Fiocchi hardball ammo. To say it was a flaming disaster is to kind. I found 3 rounds out of 15 on the far right of my clean cardboard, I can use the target another day.

I went back to the 25 yard line and fired at a 25 pistol yard target and I was way off to the right with only 2 shots out of 5 in the scoring ring.

Crank it left a couple of clicks and now I am in the scoring ring but still to the right.

Crank it left and I am still to the right of the black but now I see the mounting screw for my sight is almost backed clean out of the sight. Oops so much for paying attention to the small things.

Tighten it down, change to a small bore rifle target, load 2 magazines and shoot as fast as I can swap magazines. Not my best shooting but I will take it. Time to break out the old Lock-tite and go through all my sights.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg202/scaled.php?server=202&filename=sightinginthe45.png&res=medium
89 degrees, 10 mph wind from over my left shoulder and not a cloud in the sky after raining all night and half the morning. 50 yard small bore rifle target at 25 yards.

I can live with this.

FunkyPertwee
07-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, you still killed him. You might just want to switch to the M1 if the bad guys move out to 100 yards.

Solidus-snake
07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
What pistol did you use exactly?

arcangel
07-16-2011, 06:55 PM
I would imagine a 1911 of some sorts. Being in the 1911 forums and all lol.:thumbsup:

Solidus-snake
07-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I would imagine a 1911 of some sorts. Being in the 1911 forums and all lol.:thumbsup:

I figured that but I was meaning model and maker.

old Grump
07-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Colt 1911A1 NM put together by the USAMU at Fort Benning for a Navy commander. My gun died during a match in 1972 and I had to borrow his. Won the match with it and told him I really liked that gun so he sold it to me. I have replaced the rear sight 3 times and the bushing twice and the barrel once. Don't honestly remember how many recoil springs but I have 6 of them in my parts bin. It isn't as tight as it used to be but it still shoots better than I do. I'll try 100 yards again tomorrow.

Solidus-snake
07-16-2011, 11:25 PM
WOW, now thats a nice pistol with a history.

My favorite pistol ive ever owned is my Kimber Stainless pro carry 2. Its nothing compared to yours, but I hope someday I can get the funds to collect a few more. I love the 1911, by far the best platform ive been able to shoot with.

Now youve fiddled with the sights maybe itll be a better day tomorrow.