PDA

View Full Version : How about a "FOOD" section?

Zoff12
08-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Well? I'm not talking about survival food or stocking up. I'm talking about regular everyday eating. I know there are some great cooks here from some of the post from the "Old" site. I got some great ideas back then. How about giving us a "FOOD" forum?

Zoff12
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Not looking good for this as a new forum. Kinda sux. I was looking forward to getting some new recipes and, maybe, sharing a few.

slamfire51
08-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok, I'll ask for a recipe.
I want a recipe for battering shrinp.
I can buy unbreaded shrimp a whole lot cheaper than the ready breaded ones. I love fried shrimp.
You guys have any?

old Grump
08-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Simplicity itself, it's the same as I do for trout, suckers, catfish...

1 cup pancake flour or all purpose flour and 1 cup beer, (brand irrelevant). A little salt 1/2 to 1 tsp will do, I like sea salt. A few shakes or twist of the peppermill with your favorite pepper. 2 dozen shrimp.

The rest you know, deep fat fryer with clean oil at 350 degrees, do a few at a time, skim off the lumps of batter that collect while you are doing each batch

I had a friend in program who didn't dare use alcohol or have it in the house and she used soda water. Don't know how it tasted but she liked it. Since then I have seen soda water suggested as a substitute so it must work.

Zoff12
08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Good deal, Grump. Pretty much the same I user except I sometimes throw in a little garlic powder.

Anybody have a recipe for a "different than traditional" Potato Salad?

old Grump
08-09-2010, 10:57 PM
From my personal file

COOKED BBQ SAUCE

Stolen shamelessly from Justin Wilson my all time favorite celebrity cook

1. 4T olive oil
2. 2 med. Onion
3. 2 cloves garlic
4. ½ C parsley
5. 1 small cayenne pepper, pickled or fresh or ¾ t Louisiana hot sauce
6. 1 C sauterne wine
7. 1 T lemon juice
8. 2 T Worcestershire (Lea & Perrins)
9. 1 ½ t salt
10. 1 sm can tomato sauce
11. 1 t liquid smoke

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan. Put onions, garlic, parsley, hot pepper in blender, (I just use my chopping block and chefs knife and whack away), blend till finely chopped. Blend with just enough water to make it blend. Pour into sauce pan and cook over low flame for 30 minutes. Add wine, lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt, liquid smoke and tomato sauce. Simmer until onions are done, about 60 minutes. Cover while simmering and add a little water if necessary.

I double or triple the recipe and can the extra because I am the only one in the house who uses it. It lasts but it has never had to last very long. Makes the house smell delicious while cooking.

Name on the bottle of wine doesn't make a hoot's worth of difference after an hours worth of simmering so don't buy expensive. You will never know the difference unless you have a Chef Ramsey type palate.

btcave
08-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Anybody have a recipe for a "different than traditional" Potato Salad?

Warm Potato Salad (Warmer Kartoffelsalat)
2 1/2 lbs cooked potatoes (cooked in peel 1 hour)
3 eggs boiled hard
8 oz. thick sliced bacon
4 oz dill pickes
1/2 cup beef or vegetable broth
2 tbs. vinegar
1 tbs. parsley or chives
salt/peper to taste

While potatoes are cooking, cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips and saute until all the drippings are cooked out. Bacon bits should be crispy. Boil the eggs about 8 min., peel and dice. Dice dill pickles. Chop Parsley.

While the potatoes are still warm peel and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Add eggs,pickles,parsley,salt,pepper,and vinegar. Pour hot broth and bacon bits with the drippings over it. Toss well. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

slamfire51
08-09-2010, 11:03 PM

1 cup pancake flour or all purpose flour and 1 cup beer, (brand irrelevant). A little salt 1/2 to 1 tsp will do, I like sea salt. A few shakes or twist of the peppermill with your favorite pepper. 2 dozen shrimp.

The rest you know, deep fat fryer with clean oil at 350 degrees, do a few at a time, skim off the lumps of batter that collect while you are doing each batch

I had a friend in program who didn't dare use alcohol or have it in the house and she used soda water. Don't know how it tasted but she liked it. Since then I have seen soda water suggested as a substitute so it must work.

Thanks Grump. I'll try it one night this week and let you know how I like it.
I've never used flour for fish frying. I use corn meal (Southern type, Martha White, none of that nasty Yankee stuff) with pepper. Deep fried. Mmmmm!!

old Grump
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
No potato salad in my computer file and I'm not digging in my filing cabinet tonight will look tomorrow. In the mean time how about a pick you up and stand you on your feet coleslaw.

Coleslaw for the strong - the weak should walk, if they eat it the lame will walk.

This is an old recipe, Great Grandma from North Dakota and Bohemia old. Most people don't know they are eating coleslaw because it's not what they expect. It isn't traditional sweet flavor, and it's not quite as creamy but you are going to love it...or else. :biggrina:

1 head of cabbage (slice thin, 1/4" wide or smaller) discard core.
1 medium sized onion sliced thin
1-2 tbl + of kosher or large grain salt (a bit more doesn't hurt)
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp+ ground pepper corn
2-3 tbl lemon/lime juice (plenty)
2 tbs garlic (roughly a few buds chopped fine)
1/2 cup mayonaise

(add as desired or not) sage, dill, cayenne, tomatos (olives, cucumbers, cooked whole kernel corn will work too)

mix well in a large bowl, add mayo and salt or lemon/lime juice to fit your slaw. This will never be sweet and creamy, instead call it aggressive and tasty.

Then you hook up the mule and go pull stumps out till you are done making sweet musical tunes, or a long walk with a friend, not a sweetie.

Zoff12
08-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Warm Potato Salad (Warmer Kartoffelsalat)
2 1/2 lbs cooked potatoes (cooked in peel 1 hour)
3 eggs boiled hard
8 oz. thick sliced bacon
4 oz dill pickes
1/2 cup beef or vegetable broth
2 tbs. vinegar
1 tbs. parsley or chives
salt/peper to taste

While potatoes are cooking, cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips and saute until all the drippings are cooked out. Bacon bits should be crispy. Boil the eggs about 8 min., peel and dice. Dice dill pickles. Chop Parsley.

While the potatoes are still warm peel and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Add eggs,pickles,parsley,salt,pepper,and vinegar. Pour hot broth and bacon bits with the drippings over it. Toss well. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Ok... I gotta try that! Thanks!

See.... this place needs a FOOD SECTION.

btcave
08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Ok... I gotta try that! Thanks!

See.... this place needs a FOOD SECTION.

German Recipes are kind of my thing. I got some that take a week to prepare correctly. I have a good Rouladen recipe around here somewhere.

Bluntforce
08-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Before 9/11 there was a really kickass site called Persian dot com. Back then it was a site an Iranian grad student made as a school project. It had a Perian/Arabic name section that told you what the first names meant and if their origins were Persian, Arabic or Turkic. It had the Shanamavada and an extensive photo gallery of Persepolis and satellite photos.

The relevant part was it had a large Persian recipe base in it.

Somebody bought it and made it a birthday card site or something like that and mostly nobody wants to hear anything about that part of the world except when Israel melts it because we won't.

A lot of the food was seafood dishes. I was surprised to find shrimp dishes on it because the mullahs probably don't like anyone admitting they eat shellfish.

Just one more cool thing down the shitter.

az_paul
08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm in total agreement that we need a food section.

Most people eat to live. We live to eat!!

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Forgot to ask, do I need to do anything to the shrimp before battering?

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Forgot to ask, do I need to do anything to the shrimp before battering?

de-vein them nasty bugs first

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
de-vein them nasty bugs first

Already done. Fully cooked too. I just want to eat them with clothes on. LOL

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Where's "old Grump" when you need him?

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Already done. Fully cooked too. I just want to eat them with clothes on. LOL

I see,well I don't do seafood.I can cook it but do not eat it.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:15 PM
I see,well I don't do seafood.I can cook it but do not eat it.

Allergy?

I'm surprised some smart ass didn't say something about eating with clothes on.
Before someone does feels they must, I don't eat while naked.

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Allergy?

I'm surprised some smart ass didn't say something about eating with clothes on.
Before someone does feels they must, I don't eat while naked.

Na just don't like it...I figured this is not the RH so I did not want to make this thread end up in the dumps.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I figured this is not the RH so I did not want to make this thread end up in the dumps.

Give it time.

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Give it time.

You did open the door with naked and shrimp...someone might think.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:27 PM
You did open the door with naked and shrimp...someone might think.

Yeah, waiting for the guys downstairs to come up.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Maybe Old Grump will be back soon.
Time for me to process today's data. (nap)

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah, waiting for the guys downstairs to come up.

Too busy bobbing for nutsacks to surface here.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Too busy bobbing for nutsacks to surface here.

Damn, is it Halloween already?

AKTexas
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Damn, is it Halloween already?

Yup we already have a gay vampire thread over on the GD.

old Grump
08-16-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't understand the problem, what is the question? De-vein and shell the shrimp and dip in the batter, drop in the fat for 4 minutes give or take a little and scoop out with a strainer or tongs.

If you have trouble with the batter sticking try dipping the shrimp in a beaten egg and then in the dry flour mix without the beer. Refrigerate a couple of hours then fry them in the fat but try the beer batter first.

If you are fussy you can lop off the tails first but I like the tails to hang onto when I'm dipping in the shrimp sauce or the tartar sauce. Just personal preference.

slamfire51
08-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't understand the problem, what is the question? De-vein and shell the shrimp and dip in the batter, drop in the fat for 4 minutes give or take a little and scoop out with a strainer or tongs.

If you have trouble with the batter sticking try dipping the shrimp in a beaten egg and then in the dry flour mix without the beer. Refrigerate a couple of hours then fry them in the fat but try the beer batter first.

If you are fussy you can lop off the tails first but I like the tails to hang onto when I'm dipping in the shrimp sauce or the tartar sauce. Just personal preference.

No problem...yet.
Just asking since some dip chicken or whatever in eggs or buttermilk before battering.