PDA

View Full Version : Older series mini

mriddick
07-17-2011, 09:46 PM
A guy at work has one that is unfired, just a std stainless mini ranch rifle (wood stock) with rings, paperwork and 5rd mag (no box). He's wanting $425 which seems fair. I had a mini a long time ago, it wasn't very accurate but I never had an issue with reliability.

I can't say it excites me much but it does seem like a good deal and I'd be helping a co worker out. So would you buy it?

blobman
07-17-2011, 09:55 PM
that seems like an ok deal,esp. helpin dude out

tank_monkey
07-17-2011, 11:15 PM
A guy at work has one that is unfired, just a std stainless mini ranch rifle (wood stock) with rings, paperwork and 5rd mag (no box). He's wanting $425 which seems fair. I had a mini a long time ago, it wasn't very accurate but I never had an issue with reliability.

I can't say it excites me much but it does seem like a good deal and I'd be helping a co worker out. So would you buy it?

Whew! For a moment I thought you were considering buying a pre 180 series rifle. Though rare, it also means that NO accessories (other than a mag) will work on it. But if it's a RANCH RIFLE, that's a mid 1980s gun. $425 is a great price if it's in good condition. The classic Mini-14s are sought after by those who don't like the new looks (I being one of them). :D

mriddick
07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
The mini deal might still happen at some point although for now my unease with a mini buy we came up with a compromise of sorts. I can report I'm now the owner of a Sear rebranded Winchester 94 for $200, it's a pretty clean 30-30 and I'm happier with it then I would of been with the mini. I need to take some pictures and research when it was made but over all it's a nice loking rifle, even if it does has the Sear's styling (ungodly long black fore end cap, nonhooded front sight, odd barrel bands, etc...).

I remember a time when these were sought after to do pistol caliber conversions (44 mag or 45LC was a pretty easy conversion if I remember right) so who knows how it will turn out in the long run. My last 30-30 was a Marlin I gave my son about 2 years ago right before one of his deployments, before that I had a Winchester 94 I just about wore out before I sold it for $275. If nothing else it'll make a good deer rifle for the house in KY.

alismith
07-18-2011, 04:52 PM
The mini deal might still happen at some point although for now my unease with a mini buy we came up with a compromise of sorts. I can report I'm now the owner of a Sear rebranded Winchester 94 for $200, it's a pretty clean 30-30 and I'm happier with it then I would of been with the mini. I need to take some pictures and research when it was made but over all it's a nice loking rifle, even if it does has the Sear's styling (ungodly long black fore end cap, nonhooded front sight, odd barrel bands, etc...).

I remember a time when these were sought after to do pistol caliber conversions (44 mag or 45LC was a pretty easy conversion if I remember right) so who knows how it will turn out in the long run. My last 30-30 was a Marlin I gave my son about 2 years ago right before one of his deployments, before that I had a Winchester 94 I just about wore out before I sold it for $275. If nothing else it'll make a good deer rifle for the house in KY.

Those older wooden stocks just might hold up a lot better to beating your deer to death than the newer ones have. ;)

p.s. Great deal on that Sears gun!

5.56NATO
07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Shame ar's don't go for that much, considering how many are made every day. They have to outnumber the Rugers by a few million.

mriddick
07-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Those older wooden stocks just might hold up a lot better to beating your deer to death than the newer ones have. ;)

p.s. Great deal on that Sears gun!

The deer here got really thick skulls, it's takes quite a hit to put one down :)