PDA

View Full Version : School Me on Pistons

Charliebravo
07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I've got 2 AR lowers to finish out and have been considering doing one of them as a piston. I've already got 3 direct-impingment guns, plus a 10.5" D.I. SBR. I wasn't looking to go broke on the deal like with LMT or LWRC. Anyone have any experience with the Stag Model 8? It seems to be the most reasonably priced. A conversion kit is a no-go. I could do it, but I want to keep my current rifles the way they are and just finish out my two Stag lowers, which means I need complete uppers.

Schuetzenman
07-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Buy a Del-Ton upper less a bolt carrier, then get an Osprey piston system to add to the otherwise conventional upper. https://www.gaspiston.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=243 Follow Link.

https://www.gaspiston.com/PDGImages/OPS416WEB.jpg

You will need a complete bolt but no bolt carrier, the Osprey comes with the modified type bolt carrier that has an integral pushing surface. I am recommending this based on a friend who is an SOT in North Carolina. He's tried all the piston systems and the Osprey is the one he likes best. He says its, "simple to install and it works".

blobman
07-18-2011, 03:47 PM
very interesting,whats the kit cost?

Mark Ducati
07-18-2011, 04:41 PM
What are your thoughts on this? I understand that the piston AR is supposed to be more reliable than the conventional gas-tube operated AR...

Sure, for SHTF-depend your life on it, I'd like a piston AR too... But, with one caveat... if I can buy a piston upper from a manufacture that makes a complete upper.

Why?

Because, just me personally, if "I" have to be the one to put it together, then I wouldn't risk my life on it. That's why I keep my factory built S&W M&P or DPMS AR as my SHTF rifles... I keep them clean enough to eat off though.

Schuetzenman
07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
very interesting,whats the kit cost?

How much effort would it be for you to CLICK THE LINK IN THE POST?

Schuetzenman
07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
What are your thoughts on this? I understand that the piston AR is supposed to be more reliable than the conventional gas-tube operated AR...

Sure, for SHTF-depend your life on it, I'd like a piston AR too... But, with one caveat... if I can buy a piston upper from a manufacture that makes a complete upper.

Why?

Because, just me personally, if "I" have to be the one to put it together, then I wouldn't risk my life on it. That's why I keep my factory built S&W M&P or DPMS AR as my SHTF rifles... I keep them clean enough to eat off though.

Mark, can you change a gas tube in an AR15? If so you have the skills to put in the Osprey I posted up above. The only other thing you do is take the bolt out of your current carrier and put it in the Oprey bolt carrier, put that in the upper and you're about done. http://www.gaspiston.com/osprey-defense-gas-piston-system-ar15-m16-installation/osprey-installation-video/ Installation video link.

Charliebravo
07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Scheutz,

I've only used Del-Ton once, but it wasn't a good experience. Canted front sight base. First time I've ever seen it on an AR, but I got it. Anyhoo, has anyone used the Stag Arms Model 8?

NewbieAKguy
07-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Why?

Give Adams Arms a try: http://www.adamsarms.net/products.asp?category=100023. IIRC S&W joined with them to produce their piston guns; they produce a 5.45x39 upper. I'd check Osprey too; they work with many calibers too.

Schuetzenman
07-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Scheutz,

I've only used Del-Ton once, but it wasn't a good experience. Canted front sight base. First time I've ever seen it on an AR, but I got it. Anyhoo, has anyone used the Stag Arms Model 8?

Some folks have all the luck, (bad). I have a Delt-Ton upper and nothing was canted, worked just fine.

shadow65
08-09-2011, 08:42 AM
While I have a piston upper and it does run cleaner in the BCG, my DI'd have always been dependable.
Dave