PDA

View Full Version : Found a well used hungarian SA 85m need some advice

fv333
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Looking to buy my first AK and I found an Hungarian SA 85M that appears to be well used . They want 600 out the door . Unfortunatly I dont know alot about AK's so Im hoping someone could advise me regarding what I might be in store for . What I mean is ,what parts could wear out from extnded use and would it be worth me taking a chance on this one or would it get expensive to repair . I dont know how much its been used but the stock is worn as is hammer face

imanaknut
07-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Although the SA 85M is a really nice rifle, $600 for a well used one is about $200 too much. Unless it is a Kassnar import (pre-ban), $600 these days buys a like new if not new in box.

Replacement parts are not expensive, with new fire control parts almost a dime a dozen for imported ones. US made to keep within the limits of the stupid parts count rule are a little more expensive, but not bad. Hammer faces take a beating from not only hitting the firing pin, but also the way an AK bolt carrier resets them. Some wear is normal, but if the hammer is well worn it could indicate a high round count rifle.

Barrels are chrome lined so they last longer than non-chrome lined. Make sure the shiny bore still has good rifling as well as not being frosted or pitted. It should be mirror finish in the bore.

Really to wear an AK out you would need to shoot well over 20,000 rounds.

Schuetzenman
07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree with Ima's post. 6 bills for a well used KBI is too much. 6 bills for the preban fixed or under folder version imported by Kassnar would be a very low price, about 1/2 what they would normally be worth. KBI is going to have a thumbhole stock.

fv333
07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Guys . It has a thumbhole stock so Ill pass . Wheres a good place to look for a new one?

imanaknut
07-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately with presidents who step all over the constitution, first Bush1 banning the evil features that cause people to become baby killers in 1989 and then william jefferson clinton banning them all together in 1994 because they just plain look too evil regardless, the chances of you finding one new in box are getting very slim.

I would check Gunbroker to see if any are up for auction, but lately prices on Gunbroker have gotten crazy as people realize that none of these or the Chinese AK variants have been imported in a long time, and unless we get a president with the gonads to admit what "shall not be infringed" means, we will not likely see any more new ones.

abpt1
07-20-2011, 08:23 AM
IDK what is really used ? most SA85 kits are running like 650.

fv333
07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Wow that sounds good .Where can I find a kit?

abpt1
07-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow that sounds good .Where can I find a kit?
just watch gb they pop up from time to time...

D'extreme
12-25-2011, 12:55 AM
POP.

I have one. Mint. New in box. (not a kit) SA 85M
it is the KBI inc. Version made in Hungary
low serial number 081XX Sounds high but they started at 05XXX or so. So its basicly about the 3000th one out the door out of 26775 that they turned out.

Don’t know what I’m going to do with it. Its just an extra.

Was going to pimp it out like the rest.... (7 parts etc) but, having many of both.... I like the thumb hhole stock on this rifle. And this wood is some of the best in the AK solids.

Not the original pic but it looks exactly like this.....

insider
12-25-2011, 10:26 PM
POP.

I have one. Mint. New in box. (not a kit) SA 85M
it is the KBI inc. Version made in Hungary
low serial number 081XX Sounds high but they started at 05XXX or so. So its basicly about the 3000th one out the door out of 26775 that they turned out.

Don’t know what I’m going to do with it. Its just an extra.

Was going to pimp it out like the rest.... (7 parts etc) but, having many of both.... I like the thumb hhole stock on this rifle. And this wood is some of the best in the AK solids.

Not the original pic but it looks exactly like this.....
At least yours has the correct length gas tube.