PDA

View Full Version : Buis on a free float rail??

6gunsal
07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
How stable (accurate) would this setup be? I'm beginning to build a middy and at some point would like to be running a 12" ff rail with front and rear buis. I say "buis", but in reality they will be my primary sites until I spring for an optic (taking it one step at a time).

If I stick with a quality rail do you foresee any issues with having the front site that far out? Or is it just my imagination that a free float rail would have too much play in it?

Thanks for any input.

arcangel
07-20-2011, 03:49 PM
I run Troy rails on both my AR's and Troy BUIS on both said AR's they work well, and are accurate to 300m, as far as I've tried with irons. Kinda pricey though, but well worth the loot.

Schuetzenman
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Most railed handguards should be stiff enough. But I'd ask why not a railed gas block that actually puts the front sight on the barrel or as an alternative the YHM two piece gas block with flip up BUIS front built onto it? They aren't that expensive. http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product415.html I see they've raised the price on them, used to be about $85. I still see them at that price at my local gun shop.

6gunsal
07-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I run Troy rails on both my AR's and Troy BUIS on both said AR's they work well, and are accurate to 300m, as far as I've tried with irons. Kinda pricey though, but well worth the loot.

Thats what I was hoping to hear.

6gunsal
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Most railed handguards should be stiff enough. But I'd ask why not a railed gas block that actually puts the front sight on the barrel or as an alternative the YHM two piece gas block with flip up BUIS front built onto it? They aren't that expensive. http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product415.html I see they've raised the price on them, used to be about $85. I still see them at that price at my local gun shop.

I'm wanting to extend the rail over the gas block partly for aesthetics. I'm not a fan of the short carbine handguards and I really like the proportions of the 12" forend on a 16" barrel.

Starvin
07-20-2011, 08:23 PM
A good FF rail (especially with an anti-rotation device) should have no problems. The longer the rail the better your sight radius.

I also like having a longer rail so I can extend my grip further out. After adjusting to the more modern action shooting stance the old carbine length grips feel really restricted.

shadow65
07-21-2011, 08:16 AM
No problem with a quality hand guard. I run BUIS on all mine with free floats including the carbine I used on duty.
Dave

6gunsal
07-21-2011, 10:57 AM
More good news! Thanks!