PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

RollTide277
07-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi, New to the forum.
I've built a handful of AR's in the past couple years, and wanna build my First AK47
I'm looking at the AKbuilder flats to start with, but my confusion starts there. Which flat do i select? Bulgarian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Yugo.
I'm not looking to break the bank my first time out, Just want which ever is the best to build on and be able to find the most parts for.
Thanks!

imanaknut
07-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Building your first AKM from flat is quite an undertaking, but possible. I would steer away from the Yugo first because of some minor differences between it and standard AKM receivers. All the others would be nearly identical and you can use parts from any of the other Europeans almost interchangeably.

Hang in as I know there will be more answers coming. It sometimes takes a while for someone to notice new posts, but I guarantee you will find answers here from some very knowledgeable people.

my-rifle
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I've built all of mine from flats (except the ones I built from blanks!), and I agree with imanaknut. The Yugos and the RPKs are the toughest to build, because their receivers are the hardest.

Now your question about which flat to use really bypasses two questions:

1) What type of AK do you want to build? Probably the easiest to build (among what's available) are the fixed-stock Romanian and Polish kits. They're probably the least expensive too.

2) Do you own a receiver jig? This of course means you have the shop press to press the flat down into the jig.

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30083

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

All the flats are essentially the same. They're variants of the Romanian flat with cutouts for widgets that go on the different AKs. If you buy a Romanian flat you can always cut out the holes for the parts that go on other types of AKs (except Yugos and RPKs). If you don't have the shop press, and you only want to build one AK, then it's cheaper to get the NoDakSpud receiver instead of making your own.

Making a receiver involves pressing the flat, folding the upper rails, welding in the lower rails, riveting in the center support, and cutting the top rails to fit the bolt-carrier. Once you've done that part, rivet in the trigger guard, rivet in the front trunnion (after fitting the magazine), fit the dust-cover, rivet in the rear trunnion, press in the barrel, heat treat the hammer and trigger axis pin holes, then install the fire control group, dust cover, and wood, and you're off to the range!

Once you're sure everything works you can refinish the metal and wood.

SouthernArmament
09-03-2011, 09:29 PM
yeah, my rifle's right... most are essentially the same but dont be afraid to do an underfolder if you want. My first home-build was a bulgarian, now, I am a manufacturer.

The biggest most worrisome part of your first build is the unknown. You just have to do it... you'll realize quickly that you can do do it much better than the vodka drunk governtment worker did it the first time the kit was assembled!

Just hold your mouth right and get into it... you will find yourself building a second in a hurry!