PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up another .45

raxar
07-23-2011, 12:34 PM
found a Laseraim .45. 1911 inspired hunk of stainless steel feels incredible in the hand. Reports on the interweb seem to be split 50/50 between total crap and really good. I paid $322 OTD for it with 1 factory mag and 2 1911 mags. I'll give a range report and pics whenever the mood strikes me.

FunkyPertwee
07-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Those look wierd. Where are they made?

O.S.O.K.
07-23-2011, 01:40 PM
This it?

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/8963141344/9769548/p1030464.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Weird man. Does it use standard 1911 mags?

raxar
07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
from the now defunct laseraim arms inc, little rock arkansas. Mine is similar to the one in the picture but lacks the porting or compesator. yes it uses standard mags. Honestly this is the best feeling .45 I've ever seen. I really hope it functions well

O.S.O.K.
07-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Reminds me of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/MY_AUTOMAG_III.JPG/800px-MY_AUTOMAG_III.JPG

mriddick
07-23-2011, 03:31 PM
The one I had was OK, nothing great but it worked fine. I know AMT's at the time had galling issues, I'm not sure of lazeraim had the same issue or not. You might want to keep an eye out for that, greasing up the rails might help.

raxar
07-23-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/rangeday4_005.jpg

Just got back from testing it out. As I suspected FMJ worked 100%, lead and HP's were iffy. The problem was that it wouldn't quite go into battery with them, if you gave the back of the slide a few good whacks it would be fine, otherwise you would get a light primer strike. I'm hoping a good chamber cleaning will take care of that. It could also have been the two cheap 1911 mags I was using, as I had forgotton to take the factory mag. Accuracy was best with some 185 grain HP's I had loaded hot. The best way I can describe the gun is if a cz, a 1911, and a S&W semi had a baby. Like mriddick said OK but nothing you'd have to run out and get (I don't think it's a replacement for my hi-point).

5.56NATO
07-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Pretty neat. They took the grip design straight outta sigland.

FunkyPertwee
07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Here is a thought. Don't be offended because I'm not trying to insult your firearms choice, but could you get $150 for the hi-point and $350 for the Lazeraim and have $500 to spend on a slightly less budget minded .45? Like maybe an XD or a basic 1911?

mriddick
07-24-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/rangeday4_005.jpg

Just got back from testing it out. As I suspected FMJ worked 100%, lead and HP's were iffy. The problem was that it wouldn't quite go into battery with them, if you gave the back of the slide a few good whacks it would be fine, otherwise you would get a light primer strike. I'm hoping a good chamber cleaning will take care of that. It could also have been the two cheap 1911 mags I was using, as I had forgotton to take the factory mag. Accuracy was best with some 185 grain HP's I had loaded hot. The best way I can describe the gun is if a cz, a 1911, and a S&W semi had a baby. Like mriddick said OK but nothing you'd have to run out and get (I don't think it's a replacement for my hi-point).

Really? you consider the hi point a better firearm?

raxar
07-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Really? you consider the hi point a better firearm?

no it's not a better firearm at all, as far as I can tell the Laseraim is a very well made pistol. That was a joke, but the hipoint has proven to be more reliable so far...

on yours did the safety prevent the trigger from being pulled? On mine you can still drop the hammer with the safety on, it just blocks the firing pin. As far as I can tell that's how it's supposed to be because the safety doesn't seem to come in contact with anything in the trigger group

raxar
07-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Here is a thought. Don't be offended because I'm not trying to insult your firearms choice, but could you get $150 for the hi-point and $350 for the Lazeraim and have $500 to spend on a slightly less budget minded .45? Like maybe an XD or a basic 1911?

It's more so because I like weird guns than being too strapped to buy a "name brand" .45 (besides the laseraim just fits the hand). I was in the market for a "proper" .45 but if the laseraim proves reliable I don't see why I would need one. You would have a hard time finding a gun that's more heavily built, the ejector is the biggest I've ever seen on any gun, not just on a pistol, any gun.

mriddick
07-24-2011, 01:15 PM
no it's not a better firearm at all, as far as I can tell the Laseraim is a very well made pistol. That was a joke, but the hipoint has proven to be more reliable so far...

on yours did the safety prevent the trigger from being pulled? On mine you can still drop the hammer with the safety on, it just blocks the firing pin. As far as I can tell that's how it's supposed to be because the safety doesn't seem to come in contact with anything in the trigger group

Yeah, I think it just blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. I got rid of mine years ago so I'm working off memory here :) I traded mine for a std 1911.

FunkyPertwee
07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
It's more so because I like weird guns than being too strapped to buy a "name brand" .45 (besides the laseraim just fits the hand). I was in the market for a "proper" .45 but if the laseraim proves reliable I don't see why I would need one. You would have a hard time finding a gun that's more heavily built, the ejector is the biggest I've ever seen on any gun, not just on a pistol, any gun.

I gotcha. Well I hope the Lazeraim works out for you.