PDA

View Full Version : Moved my Thompson Machine Poseidon to a new Ruger 22/45.

nfa1934
07-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Since I'm having so much trouble with the aluminum shearing when I remove my Poseidon suppressor from my XD(m), I decided to move it to a .22 (the Poseidon is a 9mm/.32/.25/.22 can). I picked up a Ruger 22/45 with a threaded bull barrel and top rail. Bought an Aimpoint Micro for the rail.

When I get back from my upcoming business trip, I plan to buy a TiRant to replace the Poseidon on the XD(m).

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/nfa1934/2011-07-23163632.jpg

sniper_n_training
07-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Other than not having irons, that is going to be my EXACT setup. Im thinking maybe next years tax return might just buy everything you have pictured (minus the red-dot) and a whole pallet of ammo to last me 2 lifetimes. Looks good man! When you get to shoot it, you should post how effective that can is. Im thinking of the Poseidon can in order to do double duty on a 22/45 or my XD9sc.

RCS
07-23-2011, 06:31 PM
How quiet are we talking?

Other than not having irons, that is going to be my EXACT setup. Im thinking maybe next years tax return might just buy everything you have pictured (minus the red-dot) and a whole pallet of ammo to last me 2 lifetimes. Looks good man! When you get to shoot it, you should post how effective that can is. Im thinking of the Poseidon can in order to do double duty on a 22/45 or my XD9sc.

I wouldn't suggest this Poseidon for your XDSC. It won't cycle properly.

nfa1934
07-23-2011, 06:38 PM

I mostly bought this setup to try to salvage some use out of the Poseidon. I'm really not happy with it on the XD(m). Several issues:

First is the fact that it seizes to the barrel whenever I shoot it on the XD(m). It is very difficult to get loose. When you try to unscrew it, you basically just screw the tube off the endcap, leaving the endcap seized in place on the barrel. When you do finally get it loose, the steel barrel threads strip away material from the aluminum endcap threads. I know they used aluminum for weight so they could avoid needing a booster, but aluminum against steel in threading just doesn't work. This is the main reason I decided to move it to a .22. The .22 shouldn't recoil enough or get hot enough for the can to seize like it does on a 9mm.

Second is reliability. You will probably have issues getting a Poseidon to cycle on an XDsc. It will only cycle on my XD(m) 3.8 with fresh wipes. When the wipes get worn, the weapon won't cycle. In my experience this happens between 38-42 rounds. This is another reason I decided to move it to a .22. It should work on a blowback operated pistol even without any wipes at all. In general, wipes are a bigger PITA than I expected when I bought the Poseidon and I won't buy another can that uses them.

I basically bought a can that is unusable on the 9mm for which it was intended, but isn't as good for a .22 as a dedicated .22 can would have been. I would have been far better off buying a YHM Mite for less money for the .22 and buying anything other than the Poseidon for 9mm.

Bottom line: I don't recommend the Poseidon.

nfa1934
07-24-2011, 09:55 PM
How quiet are we talking?

Tried it today with CCI 40 grain lead hp subsonic. Cycled flawlessly for the 100 rounds fired. Started out pellet gun quiet. Got a little louder as it was fired and the wipes got worn and the wire pulling gel evaporated, but still very quiet. Had none of the seizing/galling problems that I have firing it on a 9mm.

FunkyPertwee
07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
The new 22/45 pistols sure do look better than the old ones.

Mine is a older model in stainless with a b-square scope mount and Leupold 2X pistol scope. Its heavy and fugly and I need to change it up some how. Yours looks like a 1911 frame, mine looks like a shiny space gun.

sniper_n_training
07-25-2011, 12:36 AM
nfa and RCS, thank you both for saving me many headaches. From the sound of things, I was heading for a MAJOR PITA setup. Definitely will be taking the Poseidon off my list.

What would you guys suggest for a good 22/45 suppressor? I don't want the most expensive can out there, but I dont want the cheapest either. I will be purchasing the exact same pistol that nfa has posted above, only mine will have iron sights instead of rails. I'm hoping to find one that is small enough to still allow a good sight picture with the factory sights.

Any ideas?

Schuetzenman
07-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Tried it today with CCI 40 grain lead hp subsonic. Cycled flawlessly for the 100 rounds fired. Started out pellet gun quiet. Got a little louder as it was fired and the wipes got worn and the wire pulling gel evaporated, but still very quiet. Had none of the seizing/galling problems that I have firing it on a 9mm.

Use anti-seize compound. It's a mix of copper or aluminum powder and grease. Loctite corp makes copper and nickle based versions.

nfa1934
07-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Use anti-seize compound. It's a mix of copper or aluminum powder and grease. Loctite corp makes copper and nickle based versions.

Tried it last time with the 9mm, didn't help. Maybe didn't use enough?