PDA

View Full Version : Update to My New AK47 Side Scope Mount - Range Report

Makasaurus
07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
This post updates my last one:

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?11217-My-New-AK47-Side-Scope-Mount

I took my AK and new side mount with scope to the range. I had some problems most of them not related to the scope. The biggest one was TRIGGER FAILING TO RESET. It was a PITA but i learned something new about AK's like how its really important to get details right when reassembling them after a detail strip (for painting with Alumahyde).

So i fired about 5 shots when THIS happened

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/MISFIRE-RED.jpg

That's right, a bullet got thrown back inside the gun. I removed the mag, popped the receiver cover and spring, and shook the bullet out. Not sure how this could have happened, i hope someone will explain it to me.

So then i started trying to site in the scope. I could get the centering right but i could not adjust the scope low enough, even at 200 yards range! I think i will try to bend the mount, or get another scope. I think the weaver rail is simply angled too high - perhaps i will shim it and make it point the scope lower.
Some people said that scope mount is not sturdy enough, it is only an airsoft mount and it will not stay put. Well the mount held tight, and did not shift, wobble or loosen, but i did only put 100 rounds through it.

But then something weird happened - the rifle would fire one shot and then the trigger would not reset. (You experienced AK guru people already know where this is going.) Bang - pull trigger again - nothing.

Removing the receiver cover showed that a new round had been chambered, hammer had been pushed back and was being held by the trigger group. I actually took the gun apart at the range, pins, hammer, trigger and everything trying to figure out what was wrong - the disconnector spring was strong and nothing was broken.

After reassembling it fired a whole 10 round (California you know) magazine just fine. Then i reloaded another mag and it did the bang - stop thing. I called it a day and drove home to figure out the problem, and wondered what i was going to have to buy to fix this.

On getting home i took the receiver cover off and examined the parts carefully. I had been able to reproduce the bang-stop without firing the gun and now, working the bolt by hand, it wasn't doing it. Then it did CLICK - stop and i took a careful look at the trigger group and suddenly noticed the placement of the hammer spring ends - they weren't spread out with the loops going where they were supposed to be! I moved first one side of the spring, then the other, closer toward the trigger group and cocked the rifle, and held the trigger back...CLICK - STOP. I moved the spring loops back out and dropped them into place - trigger now functioning normally again.

It's my own dang fault - I had reassembled the gun with the hammer spring installed wrong! I had placed the loops on the ends of the trigger spring too far in towards the trigger group, so the trigger did not have enough spring tension to reset.

(I tried to use my smart phone at the range to bring up an AK site to search the problem - but the shooting range was in the hills and no cell phone reception possible. If i had i probably could have fixed it then and there instead of having to go 60 miles home first)

(I forget the name of the part the hammer spring loops go over, but what i did not know until doing a search on AKfiles.net - was it uses hammer spring tension to reset the trigger. Here's a photo showing hammer spring correctly installed- pointed out by the green arrows.)

(If you use this information to torment your buddy when he goes to fire his AK, you didn't hear it from me ok lol)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/marc780/HAMMERSPRING-RIGHT.jpg