PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!

hogmister
07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
I finally got to shoot my new shorty on sunday! It functioned flawlessly. the only problem i see is the extractor really beats up the case rims. otherwise, i'm very happy with the performance. it already started shooting some decent groups even out of a brand new barrel (not to mention the russian surplus 60gr ammo). also, my muzzle brake is very efficient. it caused bystanders to flinch (sorry), and blew some old varnish off the bench!

imanaknut
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
:ttiwwop:

FunkyPertwee
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
What kind of setup do you have and where are the pics?

Schuetzenman
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Rim damage is not surprising to me, the fact it actually functioned every shot is. I've covered this topic in your earlier threads on this topic. About good groups out of barrels, frankly the most accurate weapons usually are is when they are brand new. They haven't been abused yet.

hogmister
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
What kind of setup do you have and where are the pics?

sorry for the breech of etiquite. i will post some pics and a full layout of specs to satisfy the gun geek in all of us.

hogmister
07-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Rim damage is not surprising to me, the fact it actually functioned every shot is. I've covered this topic in your earlier threads on this topic. About good groups out of barrels, frankly the most accurate weapons usually are is when they are brand new. They haven't been abused yet.

Schuetzenman. I'm happy that your worst fears about my setup have not come true! dodged a bullet on that one. i'll keep you posted on the accuracy situation, hope it hangs in for a while.

Helen Keller
07-27-2011, 06:15 PM
caliber?

Barrel length?

hogmister
08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
caliber?

Barrel length?

sorry still no pics... busy as hell.

helen, if i may call you that, :biggrin: it's your basic m-4 ish shorty ar. here is the run down.

5.56 nato
10 1/2" wilson combat barrel with a 5 3/4" brake (16 1/4" oal. for those who hate math)
bushmaster lower
5 position stock
yankee hill flat top upper
m-4 shorty handguards
hogue grip
mil-surp front post (modified with set screws instead of taper pins)
pro-mag flip up rear
and some colt 30 rounders with green followers

hogmister
08-13-2011, 02:38 PM
here are a few pics of my newly assembled shorty ar.
sorry it took so long.

FunkyPertwee
08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I think it'd be worth it to SBR that weapon.

hogmister
08-13-2011, 02:57 PM
I think it'd be worth it to SBR that weapon.

Funky, i thought about that.
don't like the idea of uncle sam's minions dropping in whenever they feel like it! even though i keep my nose clean.

sniper_n_training
08-13-2011, 03:46 PM
If you keep your nose clean, whats the harm in SBR'ing it? You would like the weapon alot more!

hogmister
08-13-2011, 04:02 PM
If you keep your nose clean, whats the harm in SBR'ing it? You would like the weapon alot more!

it's my understanding that the atf can check in on you at any point. you put yourself on THE LIST, if you will. i may be wrong.
the other issue is i already destroyed the threaded muzzle by permanently attaching the brake.:frown: i would have to cut it even shorter and re-thread the barrel.
however, having a little bird cage on the loud end would put the cool factor through the roof!

FunkyPertwee
08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
You could sell your current upper and get a new SBR one, if you went that route.

Schuetzenman
08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
it's my understanding that the atf can check in on you at any point. you put yourself on THE LIST, if you will. i may be wrong.
the other issue is i already destroyed the threaded muzzle by permanently attaching the brake.:frown: i would have to cut it even shorter and re-thread the barrel.
however, having a little bird cage on the loud end would put the cool factor through the roof!

You buy a gun your on "The List" as far as I'm concerned. You are only going to get visited if somebody is running around shooting folks with an AR that fits your SBR version's description. You have 1 or 2 or even 5 you will probably never ever be visited. You own 100, maybe, you own 1000, yeah probably. I was a dealer from 1993 to 2005 and never ever got a visit by BATFE. My business was very small and I was moving less than 200 weapons most years. I did get 3 phone calls over the years by BATFE asking who I sold a weapon to by a cerain serial number they would read off to me. This was in connection with a weapon having been found at a crime scene. Never did find out if it was used in a crime or was just stolen property they were trying to track down the legal owner on. They won't tell you.

FunkyPertwee
08-13-2011, 08:10 PM
You buy a gun your on "The List" as far as I'm concerned. You are only going to get visited if somebody is running around shooting folks with an AR that fits your SBR version's description. You have 1 or 2 or even 5 you will probably never ever be visited. You own 100, maybe, you own 1000, yeah probably. I was a dealer from 1993 to 2005 and never ever got a visit by BATFE. My business was very small and I was moving less than 200 weapons most years. I did get 3 phone calls over the years by BATFE asking who I sold a weapon to by a cerain serial number they would read off to me. This was in connection with a weapon having been found at a crime scene. Never did find out if it was used in a crime or was just stolen property they were trying to track down the legal owner on. They won't tell you.

So they can search your home without a warrant, or not? :confused:

darkheart
08-13-2011, 09:02 PM
No, they cannot. This is one of the biggest NFA myths there is. The ATF can look in on dealers/manufacturers when they please, but Joe SBR/AOW does not need to fear that. If they (for whatever reason) want to see your hardware, they must contact you first, and request it. At that point, you can show them in your home, at Walmart, or in the McDonalds parking lot if that is what you choose.

Schuetzenman
08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
So they can search your home without a warrant, or not? :confused:

As darkheart said, no they can't. They would have to call and request to see it, make an appointment. If it was a suspect weapon they might take it and leave you a receipt until the ballistics testing comes back proving it not the one they are looking for. But frankly that could happen to any weapon. When the DC shooters were doing their thing, an attempt to find all AR15 owners in the region and test their weapons was attempted from what I remember hearing. Of course they didn't find anything that way.

08-14-2011, 10:46 AM
....and blew some old varnish off the bench!

Not surprising about the varnish with that brake...lol

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=844&d=1313264179

hogmister
08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Not surprising about the varnish with that brake...lol

Ha ha! it works really good!
just got back from the range. today three guys were watching me and laughing their asses off cause of the muzzle blast.

good to hear i'm wrong about the batf.

shorthair
08-14-2011, 04:31 PM
D.C. Seeks Consent To Search for Guns

Mar 13, 2008 ... Officers will go door-to-door seeking permission to search homes for weapons. Police ... Philadelphia police are considering such an initiative. ...
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/1... www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/12/AR2008031202717.html

Did this ever get settled?