PDA

View Full Version : Obama Could Be Impeached on Default

5.56NATO
07-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Rep. Steve King said President Barack Obama would be impeached if the United States falls into default on its debt.

Writing on Twitter, the Iowa Republican declared: “STOP talking about default. The 1st dime of each $1 of revenue services debt. Obama would be impeached if he blocked debt payments. C C & B!”

King was referring to the “Cut, Cap and Balance” plan, passed by the House, that would introduce a constitutional amendment to require a balanced budget. Rep. King supports the plan, but the Senate dismissed it last week.

King is not the first GOP lawmaker to assert that the president could be impeached over the debt crisis, Politico noted.

Rep. Tim Scott, R-S.C., said he would seek to impeach Obama if he bypasses Congress and raises the debt limit by citing the 14th Amendment, which states that “the validity of the U.S. public debt shall not be questioned.”

“The president is looking to usurp congressional oversight to find a way to get it done without us,” Scott told a gathering earlier this month.
“My position is that is an impeachable act from my perspective.”

© Newsmax. All rights reserved.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/SteveKing-BarackObama-Default-Impeach/2011/07/25/id/404779

alismith
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Obama be impeached for anything!? Never happen. For one thing, there would be riots all over America if something like this were to occur.

The Obermessiah can do no wrong.

Warthogg
07-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Rep. Steve King said President Barack Obama would be impeached if the United States falls into default on its debt.

Writing on Twitter, the Iowa Republican declared: “STOP talking about default. The 1st dime of each $1 of revenue services debt. Obama would be impeached if he blocked debt payments. C C & B!”

King was referring to the “Cut, Cap and Balance” plan, passed by the House, that would introduce a constitutional amendment to require a balanced budget. Rep. King supports the plan, but the Senate dismissed it last week.

King is not the first GOP lawmaker to assert that the president could be impeached over the debt crisis, Politico noted.

Rep. Tim Scott, R-S.C., said he would seek to impeach Obama if he bypasses Congress and raises the debt limit by citing the 14th Amendment, which states that “the validity of the U.S. public debt shall not be questioned.”

“The president is looking to usurp congressional oversight to find a way to get it done without us,” Scott told a gathering earlier this month.
“My position is that is an impeachable act from my perspective.”

© Newsmax. All rights reserved.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/SteveKing-BarackObama-Default-Impeach/2011/07/25/id/404779

newsmax

As there is no truth in Pravda there is no news in newsmax.

Wart

old Grump
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Golly who writes the budget? Then who rewrites it and approves it. Then who has to sign it or veto it? Looks to me if the president gets impeached most of congress should get impeached too.

Balance the budget or you get zero pay, zero perqs, zero benefits until you do. Yeah, I said that naughty word, balance the budget not just pass one. If you can't do that then pack your bags and get in line with the other citizens who have to get probed, groped scanned and treated like felons before they get their economy class seat. Go home and get a job, if you can find one.

mriddick
07-25-2011, 11:13 PM
They do seem to be talking past each other, impeach him if it defaults and impeach him if it doesn't...

Warthogg
07-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Let us appoint a committee to study this problem.

Wart

mriddick
07-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Thats the Reid plan.

stinker
07-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Never gonna happen so don't get your hopes up.

Kadmos
07-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Let us appoint a committee to study this problem.

Wart

LOL, woah, lets slow down there, why don't we start with phone polling to see if starting a committee to research the need for a committee gets favorable approvals first.

5.56NATO
07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I think it would be funny if they did impeah him. It'd be worth the laugh.

Richard Simmons
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Never gonna happen so don't get your hopes up.

Exactly correct.

Anyone remember Clinton? Impeached by the House and acquitted by the Senate. Anyone really think Reid and the Democrat controlled Senate will impeach Obama just because the House does. Nice but wishful thinking.

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
After watching Boehner speak last night, I think they might just do it.

I am shocked and encouraged that they've gone this far with their "negotiations".

Who would have thought that the House would actually do what they promised when they were elected?

They'd have the right if he did either of those two things - allow a default or increase the debt cap himself.

Of course the Senate wouldn't go for it being dimocrat controlled but it would send a message loud and clear.

Kadmos
07-26-2011, 11:37 AM
... but it would send a message loud and clear.

No it wouldn't.

Some would say it was partisan politics, that republicans had raised the debt limit before, many times. Or that republicans also had horrible deficits, or that republicans also took or tried to take "extra" powers away from congress.

And of course quite a few would simply say it was racism

Viking350
07-26-2011, 01:52 PM
The constitution says the President can be impeached for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors". What crime would be committed by the President if an agreement wasn't reached?

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2011, 03:04 PM
No it wouldn't.

Some would say it was partisan politics, that republicans had raised the debt limit before, many times. Or that republicans also had horrible deficits, or that republicans also took or tried to take "extra" powers away from congress.

And of course quite a few would simply say it was racism

It wasn't right when Bush did it. However, we are talking about a matter of dgree and a matter of cicumstances. Surely you aren't making excuses for obummer's run-awy spending and total lack of leadership?

Kadmos
07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
It wasn't right when Bush did it. However, we are talking about a matter of dgree and a matter of cicumstances. Surely you aren't making excuses for obummer's run-awy spending and total lack of leadership?

Nope, I'm not.

What I am saying is nothing is ever a "loud and clear message" anymore when it comes to politics.

Attempting to impeach Obama on anything that is not a 100% slam dunk case is HIGHLY likely to backfire.

The argument for the president being able to bypass congress in this manner has been put forth by several constitutional scholars, the person who first really made the argument was a former aide to Reagan.

The worst that likely would happen is a supreme court ruling on the matter, which frankly could go either way, likely it wouldn't even be considered a crime, simply an unfounded argument and the power would revert back to Congress.