PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a coverup spray when you hunt?

Guns Network Staff
08-08-2010, 11:26 AM
The evolution in coverup sprays has changed over the years.

What has been your history with them.

Do you also use body wash in the shower?

Do you treat your hunting clothes?

How do you preform any of the above when your out in the boonies camping for 5 or 10 days?

I will post what I have been doing for years later.... I have been on many Corporate Hunting Pro Staff Teams over the years. Have 30+ years bow hunting.

Guns Network Staff

btcave
08-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Never tried the stuff. Maybe I should give it a try. I "still-hunt" almost exclusively.

deth502
08-08-2010, 12:07 PM
yes and no.

i wash with unscented products before the hunt, my clothes, they get washed a while before the season, after that, they get a quick spray down just to get rid of any detergent smells, and hang outside for a while to air out. after the season starts, my over clothes will usually not get washed for the whole season unless somthing happens to soil them. and i never do anything to my underclothes that i change every day. maybe, if the mood hits me, ill spray my boots before i go out. but for the most part, i think scent control is a huge myth created to sell more products.

during rifle season, ive already pissed on a tree and seen deer come up and smell it. i see more deer following hunters than anything else. i too still hunt, and i couldnt tell you how many times ive sat all morning seeing nothing, then, around noon time, when other hunters are giving up and walking out, see the deer following their exact path about 150 yds behind them. if scent was such a big deal, then why would there be this much interaction?

i have seen deer get a hint of a scent and "get nervous" but very rarely. let me throw in, i dont hunt from trees, i hunt on the ground. ive had deer walk past me within 10-15 yds, get about 30 yds past me, appear to catch my scent, and follow it back to me.

btcave
08-08-2010, 12:18 PM
during rifle season, ive already pissed on a tree and seen deer come up and smell it.

Need to bottle it and sell it!

deth502
08-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Need to bottle it and sell it!

hmmm, never thought of that.....

"hunt with the smell of deth in the air" i think you might be on to something..........

i think theyre more curious than anything. possibly, if your in an area that experiances a lot of pressure on the animals year round, it may matter, but thats not the case in pa. add to that, idk what other states are like, but archery season is the first big game season in the fall, so they have essientially no negative human interactions before hand. (for the year anyway). possibly it might matter in rifle season, but theyre dead long before they are close enough to smell anything.

old Grump
08-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Tried it, made me smell bad. Success was the same scent or no scent. I just wash my hunting clothes and hang them out to dry in the air and I leave them hanging outside at the end of the day so they don't soak up shop or house stink but that's all. Only thing I do for my boots is shake out the old foot powder and put in new foot powder at the beginning of the first day of gun season.

swampdragon
08-12-2010, 01:21 AM
If you want a deer to come in close...use doe urine.
Works like a charm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnJSwBkcJ4Q

l921428x
08-12-2010, 03:51 AM
I always let my clothes air for a few days then build a fire at the campsite a couple of weeks before the season started. I would let my hunting clothes hang near the smoke so the scent was the same. Dunno. Hunted sometimes and others did not, but the fire burned.

RIGHTWINGJOE
08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Nope.
I keep my clothes away from chemical smells, cooking, etc. though.

Ol Dirty Bastard
08-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I've never used anything to mask my scent. I participate in competition raccoon hunts with hounds very frequently in PKC, AKC, & UKC, and when there isn't a comp to go to I get the dogs out for good practice, and training, I'm in the woods 6 nights a week most of the time, and 7 nights a week often enough to bring it up. Of course I don't need to hide my scent when a hound is doing all the work. However, when I go coyote, fox, deer, hogs, bear, or any other game that scent might be a concern I use the clothes that I wore in the woods coon hunting the night before. I have reasonably good success, but I also put in a lot of scouting time before hand.

nalgi
10-09-2010, 03:43 PM
yup all the time. My Son in Law cuts some sage and puts his cloths in a trash bag with the sage overnight.

I dont think it is as important when you are in a blind but in a tree stand or spot and stalk, it matters