PDA

View Full Version : I.D.

jdpan
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Can anyone ID the rifle in this picture? I might have an opportunity to buy it...

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8198/29941429382401254523081.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/29941429382401254523081.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

ATAK, Inc.
07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the board jdpan!

Really tough to tell from the pic, but it looks like a Bulgarian AK-74, 90 degree gas block and fore grip looks like my Bulgy wood.

Does it have any kind of muzzle device?

Are there any markings?

jdpan
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Hey ATAK! Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, right now this is the only pic I can get my hands on. I'm trying to get more info on the piece but the guy is tough to wrangle.. I thought maybe the off colored magazine might be a clue.. Thanks for the reply, I'll definately investigate your suspicions and update as I get more info.

Full Otto
07-28-2011, 01:30 PM
About all the help I can be is my attempt to enhance the picture a little

http://i55.tinypic.com/2lda7g3.jpg

It kind of looks to me that the bayonet lug is missing and the cleaning rod is just stuck in the hole of the forearm.
Might be a clue to someone but I may not be seeing it right

imanaknut
07-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

There is a possibility that it is an SAR-3.

Knowing the caliber would help a ton. Do you know any of the markings on the rifle? Seller list what country it is from?

That is a standard East German AK-74 mag, but Century sold the SAR-3 with them, and they didn't work too well since the rifle was designed to use a different East German mag.

jdpan
07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

There is a possibility that it is an SAR-3.

Knowing the caliber would help a ton. Do you know any of the markings on the rifle? Seller list what country it is from?

That is a standard East German AK-74 mag, but Century sold the SAR-3 with them, and they didn't work too well since the rifle was designed to use a different East German mag.

It's actually a friend of mines, his mom passed and he has the gun, I think. He's a musician so contacting him can be difficult. I have messages in to him so as soon as he has a chance, hopefully he'll be able to answer some questions, if it's even in his possession.

jdpan
07-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok, this is what he replied with, "It's made in Romania .223 cal (5.45m.m)".

Izzy
08-07-2011, 11:53 PM

RUN from the deal ! Get an IZMASH Saiga .223, a much better .223 / 5.56 rifle.

raxar
08-08-2011, 04:41 AM
RUN from the deal ! Get an IZMASH Saiga .223, a much better .223 / 5.56 rifle.

YES! Run as far away from this deal as possible, but before you do send me his contact info because I'll buy it.

El Laton Caliente
08-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Judging from the age & mag & caliber I'd say most likely a SAR3, damn nice rifles. The SARs were Romanian Military Issue Rifles with a few evil parts removed. I bought one and still have it and a SAR1.

imanaknut
08-08-2011, 03:24 PM
The SAR-3 is really a great rifle that is so not understood in this country. When Romania wanted to enter NATO, they needed a rifle with a round that was NATO compatible. The SAR-3 was developed to meet that need. They designed it around the German Wieger STG-940 system magazine which was NATO accepted.

Unfortunately when Century imported them, they did two things wrong, one thanks to ATF and their destruction of the constitution. First they modified the easier to get and cheaper AK-74 mag. Unfortunately they didn't alter the follower angle which differs between the 5.45x39 and 5.56x45. Unless the mag has had a follower from Robinson installed, loading more than 20 rounds could cause feed issues. Using the correct Wieger mags as they are called gives reliable feed as the rifle was designed to use them.

The other issue with SAR-3s is the fact that the Romanians used a shorter bolt than the AKM, requiring a different hammer profile. On some rifles, Century reprofiled the hammer correctly, on some they didn't. Make sure the hammer strikes the back of the bolt squarely as those bolts are hard to come by. If the hammer isn't square with the bolt, a little file and dremel work can fix it.

I have more than one SAR-3 as I think they are great but misunderstood rifles. One is among my pile of favorite shooters, and as fired well in excess of 7000 rounds, and still looks brand new.

Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

If the rifle is still available, and the price is right, and the bolt hasn't been damaged by imporper hammer strikes, it would be a nice rifle to have and enjoy. I like the old SAR series as they were like an artist canvas awaiting the personal touch of it's owner. Not to mention great shooters!!!!!!!

jdpan
08-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Hey, thanks for all the great information and replies! Unfortunately for me, he's decided to keep the rifle in the family, perfectly understandable... I ended up getting a new, generic WASR 10/63 that looks to be nice and straight. Looking forward to getting to the range asap... What kind of value would you place on this SAR 3 in unmolested condition?

El Laton Caliente
08-09-2011, 08:38 AM
I've seen them go for $400 to $600+ depending on condition and accessories. I'd go to $500 for v. good to excellent with a mag or two... These are excellent AKM shooters.