PDA

View Full Version : Dog attack yesterday....

coppertales
07-28-2011, 12:01 PM
When I walked out to the mailbox to get my mail, the lady who lives across the street had just let her two dogs out of the car. They both saw me and came charging across the street into my yard growling and barking. I took a swing at the yellow lab and it shied off allowing me to turn and run into the house. This is the second time the other dog, the dangerous one, has done this to me. The UPS driver was stopping at my house and saww the whole thing. It goes to show that I NEED TO CARRY MY PISTOL ALL THE TIME. I called animal control and reported it. I was sure I was going to get bit that time.......chris3

FunkyPertwee
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Always carry a pistol, wear good shoes, and keep a pocket knife.

Viking350
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
When I walked out to the mailbox to get my mail, the lady who lives across the street had just let her two dogs out of the car. They both saw me and came charging across the street into my yard growling and barking. I took a swing at the yellow lab and it shied off allowing me to turn and run into the house. This is the second time the other dog, the dangerous one, has done this to me. The UPS driver was stopping at my house and saww the whole thing. It goes to show that I NEED TO CARRY MY PISTOL ALL THE TIME. I called animal control and reported it. I was sure I was going to get bit that time.......chris3

The messed up thing is, if you shoot the dog you are committing a crime.

old Grump
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Always wear a pistol, carry a large heavy stick and wear high steel toed boots.

Fixed it. A white ash or maple wood Louisville slugger beats the hell out of a knife when doing hand to hand with a dog, especially a medium to large one. Don't ask.

Viking350
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Fixed it. A white ash or maple wood Louisville slugger beats the hell out of a knife when doing hand to hand with a dog, especially a medium to large one. Don't ask.

Cosign.

Viking350
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM

My wife likes to go on walks around our neighborhood. She was having a problem with dogs during her walks. It was a simple solution. I made her a walking stick out of a nice, reasonably straight piece of hickory about 5 feet long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Dog problem solved.

FunkyPertwee
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM

I agree.

The knife isn't for dogs, it is just one of the things that no man should go without.

I keep a pistol on me when outside because of wild critters, much less pets gone bad.

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a better solution to this problem. Keep a bottle of 10% pepper spray (like for bears) with you until you encounter these two again.

Then, you know what to do - and better if done in front of the neighbor! Just be mindful of the wind...

The dogs won't bother you again.

El Jefe
07-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Chris, glad you didn't get bit. You mention a yellow lab, what is the breed of the other dog?

Ruskiegunlover
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
how is it a crime to shoot and kill a dog that is attacking you? Believe me, a lab is big enough to kill a person. I've worked around dogs a lot, walked them, fed them, medicated them. Labs are sizeable dogs......I carry a mak on walks with my wife, because frankly I am not going to go hand to hand with a large dog that is attacking me.

Viking350
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
how is it a crime to shoot and kill a dog that is attacking you? Believe me, a lab is big enough to kill a person. I've worked around dogs a lot, walked them, fed them, medicated them. Labs are sizeable dogs......I carry a mak on walks with my wife, because frankly I am not going to go hand to hand with a large dog that is attacking me.

Call your local police department and ask.

tank_monkey
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Weird. LABS are known for their good temperament. They are good dogs for small children. WTF?!?!?! Did that woman breed psycho killer dogs?!?!?

FunkyPertwee
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Weird. LABS are known for their good temperament. They are good dogs for small children. WTF?!?!?! Did that woman breed psycho killer dogs?!?!?

Or maybe the way they were raised has more to do with their attitude than breeding.

Ruskiegunlover
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
exactly. I agree, labs are like golden retrievers in that they generally are even and good tempered. But I have known a BAD tempered lab, and it was an experience. Got to walk him when he was boarded at the clinic I worked at in high school.

Not to mention ANY dog that is a stray, goes ferel, is dangerous. Whether lab, retriever, or whatever. Look at the teeth in a labs mouth and tell me they would not hurt you as much as the teeth in a doberman or g-shep. My 10 month old retriever has GOOD teeth, and could put a hurt on someone if he wanted. But, I've raised him well so far, I doubt he'd ever bite anyone.

Again, you tell me how fighting 1 or several large stray dogs to the ground, or running from them with your wife, works out for ya. Hell, or a couple of stray pits......

Krupski
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Kinda difficult to do when I spend 8 hours a day in a Gun Free Victim's Zone (a school).

Krupski
07-28-2011, 01:40 PM
I carry a mak on walks with my wife, because frankly I am not going to go hand to hand with a large dog that is attacking me.

Makarov or MAK-90? :)

Moebrown20
07-28-2011, 01:51 PM

I've been there. It's not nice nor fun, but if that bitch can't control them, then down they go.
This time it's your fault because you let it happen a second time. I guess your gonna wait until they take a chunk outta your ass before you stop phoning for help and take care of it.

tank_monkey
07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
I've been there. It's not nice nor fun, but if that bitch can't control them, then down they go.
This time it's your fault because you let it happen a second time. I guess your gonna wait until they take a chunk outta your ass before you stop phoning for help and take care of it.

I remember this incident in California. The two dogs tore this woman apart. Only her scalp and feet did not have traumatic injury. She did nothing but try to get her groceries into her apartment when the dogs decided to charge her. Just remembering THIS, makes me feel that being armed is a good idea, despite my overall love of dogs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Whipple

coppertales
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Chris, glad you didn't get bit. You mention a yellow lab, what is the breed of the other dog?

The other dog was a chocolate lab.....chris3

coppertales
07-28-2011, 02:27 PM

The attacks were about two years apart. When the cops responded the first time, the dog charged the cop but the neighbor called it off and the dog responded.....chris3

coppertales
07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
The messed up thing is, if you shoot the dog you are committing a crime.

Not in this state. I would not shoot unless I was bitten...chris3

coppertales
07-28-2011, 02:32 PM

I always do just that when I walk around the block and most every other time. I was just going to get the mail. Those people across the street know it is a dangerous dog but they let it out anyway. I think they did it on purpose knowing it would come after me.....chris3

Ruskiegunlover
07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
they can bill me....I'd rather be alive, and not mauled by a dog. Oh, and its a makarov.....I too would not shoot until bitten, and would try to fend the dog off if possible without pulling my weapon. But if the dog could not be controlled, I would sacrifice my left arm if possible and draw and fire with my right. I know DAMN sure nothing is hurting my wife. What pisses me off is that so many people have large, uncontrolled dogs that they let out in their front yards. My wife and I have 2 dogs, a small 6 ib dashound and a 85ib 10 month old male retriever. Both are sweet dogs who love us dearly.

What pisses me off is, we keep our dogs leashed at all times unless in the back yard, which is fenced in. On walks, my wife takes the dashound, I carry. SEVERAL times we have been charged by LARGE dogs who run off of peoples yards and come growling at us, coming after our dashound. I have always told my wife when it happens, she is to pick up the dashound and protect her, and I'll get in the front and fend off the dog- with a 94grn bullet if needed. This has happened several times, us in the street, never on peoples property. And my wife is trained well. Several times I thought I was about to either beat the shit out of a dog, kick one into the next century, or once maybe shoot one. People need to learn goddamned respect, and responsibility.

O.S.O.K.
07-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Having some experience with shooting dogs, I would suggest something more robust than your makarov... like a 357 Mag or a 45.

FunkyPertwee
07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Having some experience with shooting dogs, I would suggest something more robust than your makarov... like a 357 Mag or a 45.

Thats sort of disheartening to hear. I love to carry my CZ-82.

Ruskiegunlover
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
well, being that 9x18 has a long historty of service oppressing and murdering millions of innocent people, I feel confident that a round of two out of my bulgy would deter a dog. Unless its rabid, in wich case everything goes out the door.

alismith
07-28-2011, 03:23 PM
In my car, I carry what's called a "trucker's tire thumper." It's a hardwood shaft about 1" in diameter and the end is wrapped with a lead band about 2" wide. Something like that, applied to any part of its head, would definitely take the aggressive behavior out of any dog.

If it survived, it would never attack you again.

Moebrown20
07-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Heh, they don't know.........
My neighbors know, if their dog leaves their property......
Some people never seen a kid or a lady get attacked. I have.

old Grump
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Neighbors black lab had a habit of breaking his chain or his collar and running around the neighborhood knocking people down and chasing children to the nearest house. It also had the habit of barking incessantly when the owners were not home, which was more often than not. At 0030 hours and having to get up at 0430 and drive 60 miles to work I had just enough of that barking. I loaded my 22 and went next door and beat on the door. The dog dragged his doghouse over and got close enough to put a hole in my pants pocket. I had 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and when I was done I had an empty gun.

The lady next door opens her window and asked me if those were firecrackers or gun shots. Gunshots mam. Thank you she says. You are welcome I answer. I lived 3 blocks from the police station. I went home cleaned my gun and went to bed. The police didn't show up till after I turned off my bedroom light. I slept like a baby.

9 months later the lieutenant now a chief in the neighboring town asked me why I shot that dog 8 times. "11 times I said you missed 3 holes." "No we didn't he says I was just checking." He then told me how many friends I had in that town, everybody including the little old lady that called the police gave them a description of the shooter and which way he went and the only description they didn't get was mine and my house. Then he admitted that if they had gotten one more call on that dog they were going to shoot it themselves but up till then they didn't have the guts to do it.

How come you didn't ask me I asked. Because we were afraid you would tell the truth so we just pretended you weren't home. It is good to live in a small town and be friends with the police.

1 Patriot-of-many
07-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Call your local police department and ask.

Then why does LE typically shoot dogs?

1 Patriot-of-many
07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Neighbors black lab had a habit of breaking his chain or his collar and running around the neighborhood knocking people down and chasing children to the nearest house. It also had the habit of barking incessantly when the owners were not home, which was more often than not. At 0030 hours and having to get up at 0430 and drive 60 miles to work I had just enough of that barking. I loaded my 22 and went next door and beat on the door. The dog dragged his doghouse over and got close enough to put a hole in my pants pocket. I had 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and when I was done I had an empty gun.

The lady next door opens her window and asked me if those were firecrackers or gun shots. Gunshots mam. Thank you she says. You are welcome I answer. I lived 3 blocks from the police station. I went home cleaned my gun and went to bed. The police didn't show up till after I turned off my bedroom light. I slept like a baby.

9 months later the lieutenant now a chief in the neighboring town asked me why I shot that dog 8 times. "11 times I said you missed 3 holes." "No we didn't he says I was just checking." He then told me how many friends I had in that town, everybody including the little old lady that called the police gave them a description of the shooter and which way he went and the only description they didn't get was mine and my house. Then he admitted that if they had gotten one more call on that dog they were going to shoot it themselves but up till then they didn't have the guts to do it.

How come you didn't ask me I asked. Because we were afraid you would tell the truth so we just pretended you weren't home. It is good to live in a small town and be friends with the police.

LOL....That's cool.

abpt1
07-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I think the 9x18 will do it ...

this

http://www.google.com/search?q=bear+spray+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=bear+spray&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=6UY&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=wMsxTqagE4H30gHU4unvDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=5&ved=0CEwQ_AUoBA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=11a32595ea4420dc&biw=1152&bih=748

might not stir up so much trouble as shooting the neighbors dog ....imo

arcangel
07-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I live sorta on the shitty side of town where "ghetto people's" walk their dogs around our area, and most of these dogs are of the fighting type, Pitts, and Rot's. If someone's dog came running after me I wouldnt hesitate to pull and shoot the shit out of it, its's self defense. I say if that happens to you again put the thing down. 124-147gr 9mm HP's should do the job. I like dogs and my mom breeds pugs. But people need to control their animals. If someone cant control their pet they shouldnt have said pet.

Viking350
07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Not in this state. I would not shoot unless I was bitten...chris3

Here is one example.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110518_11_A11_CUTLIN363828&allcom=1

The problem is it is at the discretion of the officer. I would think if you were bitten you would probably be justified. Exercise your best judgement.

Viking350
07-28-2011, 05:09 PM

Did he ever bite anyone? If not, imo you were definitely in the wrong. no biting, he was a nuisance, not a danger.

Mark Ducati
07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Good thing you called and reported it... seriously. Also, if the UPS driver is a regular, I'd get his name and contact info just in case you need it for the future...

By reporting it and having a previous incident with a witness, you are/have established that you have been attacked before... so that when you do pull a weapon out and shoot the dog, your ass won't be in trouble.

If you can, I'd set a video camera up the next few times you go to the mail box... if you have a video of the dogs attacking you BEFORE you actually kill them, that would also help.

I wish there was some kind of humane poison out there that could get rid of pests that "just need killin'".... I've heard of people putting anti-freeze out, but supposedly that's a slow painful death for the animal.

L1A1Rocker
07-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I think they did it on purpose knowing it would come after me.....chris3

Then let them do it on purpose ONE more time.

Ruskiegunlover
07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
then call your witness (ups driver), and a lawyer, and sue the everloving shit out of them. Its the amerikan way!

coppertales
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
then call your witness (ups driver), and a lawyer, and sue the everloving shit out of them. Its the amerikan way!

If I had been bitten, that's what lawyers are for. I know the UPS driver. He has delivered rifles and ammo to me when I had my C&R. He always asked me what kind of rifle did I get today. He has been on this route for about 10 years.....chris3

coppertales
07-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Then let them do it on purpose ONE more time.

It sure looked on purpose but I think they were being just oblivious to their surroundings. They were that age....chris3

old Grump
07-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Did he ever bite anyone? If not, imo you were definitely in the wrong. no biting, he was a nuisance, not a danger. What part of hole in my pants pocket do you not understand, Was I supposed to let him take a pound of meat out of my leg first? This was a big dog. You want to volunteer to bleed then have at it but I like my water tight integrity just the way it is. The only reason he didn't bite me was because the chain tied to his doghouse that he had dragged half way across the yard stopped him just short of my flesh. Excuse me if I don't take legal advice from you.

Viking350
07-29-2011, 07:33 AM
What part of hole in my pants pocket do you not understand, Was I supposed to let him take a pound of meat out of my leg first? This was a big dog. You want to volunteer to bleed then have at it but I like my water tight integrity just the way it is. The only reason he didn't bite me was because the chain tied to his doghouse that he had dragged half way across the yard stopped him just short of my flesh. Excuse me if I don't take legal advice from you.

Yeah, I'm sure you were legally justified to take a loaded gun with you when you went knocking on your neighbors door at 3:30 am.

Warthogg
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I remember this incident in California. The two dogs tore this woman apart. Only her scalp and feet did not have traumatic injury. She did nothing but try to get her groceries into her apartment when the dogs decided to charge her. Just remembering THIS, makes me feel that being armed is a good idea, despite my overall love of dogs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Whipple

HUGE dogs in an apartment.

The owners of the dogs went to prison.

Wart

I learned a GREAT quote from an old attorney who had watched the trial. He said,,,,,,,'Defendants usually get the attorney they deserve....' Their attorney was a female asshole....all asshole as were his clients.

00RedZX-6R
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Good thing you called and reported it... seriously. Also, if the UPS driver is a regular, I'd get his name and contact info just in case you need it for the future...

By reporting it and having a previous incident with a witness, you are/have established that you have been attacked before... so that when you do pull a weapon out and shoot the dog, your ass won't be in trouble.

If you can, I'd set a video camera up the next few times you go to the mail box... if you have a video of the dogs attacking you BEFORE you actually kill them, that would also help.

I wish there was some kind of humane poison out there that could get rid of pests that "just need killin'".... I've heard of people putting anti-freeze out, but supposedly that's a slow painful death for the animal.

I think they putsoemthing in antifreeze now to deter animals. I have a pail sitting out by the garage trying to get whatever critter comes into the garage and tears open my trash. I am pretty sure it is the neighbors dog. Neighbor inever home and the dog runs the countryside.

O.S.O.K.
07-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I think they putsoemthing in antifreeze now to deter animals. I have a pail sitting out by the garage trying to get whatever critter comes into the garage and tears open my trash. I am pretty sure it is the neighbors dog. Neighbor inever home and the dog runs the countryside.

Well, if you don't want to shoot it, go to the local animal control office and get a live trap =- they will lend them out to you - trap the sucker and take him into the pound -= the owner will have to pay (usually) to bail him out. And if they are hard core, they will fine him for non-license and check for rabies tags, etc. it will be a hassle for the owner.

old Grump
07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you were legally justified to take a loaded gun with you when you went knocking on your neighbors door at 3:30 am.
The dog was a menace and it was 0030 in the morning. I knocked on the door to give them a chance to control the dog, the dog tried to eat me, end of story.

FunkyPertwee
07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
What part of hole in my pants pocket do you not understand, Was I supposed to let him take a pound of meat out of my leg first? This was a big dog. You want to volunteer to bleed then have at it but I like my water tight integrity just the way it is. The only reason he didn't bite me was because the chain tied to his doghouse that he had dragged half way across the yard stopped him just short of my flesh. Excuse me if I don't take legal advice from you.

I thought the hole in your pocket was an allusion to shooting from inside your pocket into the dog.

old Grump
07-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I thought the hole in your pocket was an allusion to shooting from inside your pocket into the dog.That is a good way to set your clothes on fire, I don't do that. He snagged my pocket with one lower fang and I wasn't abut to let him get any closer or give him a second chance. He had already drug his doghouse across the yard to come and get to me, he was one determined dog,

coppertales
07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
that I have seen no one at the house across the street for two days now nor any barking from the dogs. Maybe I am finally free of those ass holes and their barking dogs. I did wear my carry pistol when checking the mail and taking out the garbage though.......chris3

FunkyPertwee
07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
That is a good way to set your clothes on fire, I don't do that. He snagged my pocket with one lower fang and I wasn't abut to let him get any closer or give him a second chance. He had already drug his doghouse across the yard to come and get to me, he was one determined dog,

I'm not second guessing you, Grump. I doubt you just like shooting dogs.

JTHunter
07-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Coppertales - if you know, were both dogs feral rescues as it very unusual for labs to act that way.
As you said, they may be gone, but, if not, check out the laws in your area, specifically, "leash laws" and "self-defense/dog attacks", particularly if you are inside city limits.
The idea of the pepper spray sounds like a good one. The only better deterrent would be to carry a skunk. :think::eyebrows::laugh:

old Grump
07-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not second guessing you, Grump. I doubt you just like shooting dogs.
At the time I had two of my own, a coon hound a Walker/Redbone mix and a Lab/Shepherd mix that would not have jumped on anybody or tired to bite them no matter what the provocation, they were watch dogs, they would watch you come into my house or car and take whatever you wanted as long as you scratched their ears and told them how pretty they were. My wife had a little spaniel mix, and she was a vicious little bitch who tried to eat the paperboy and the milk man, I shot it because I take care of my own problems. It all depends on the owner, the dogs turn out how you want them to turn out. Out of all the dogs I have ever had I have never ever had a biter or one who would jump on you.

My nephew got bit by the neighbors beagle and had to go through two treatments for infection and when I was a kid I had been bitten by a friends spaniel. Neither breed is known for being mean or aggressive, both dogs were tied up and rarely let loose to run unless they broke loose. Nobody who has a dog has any business having one if all they are going to do is keep it chained up, it's the quickest way to make a crazy mean dog I know.