PDA

View Full Version : George Bush's Reaction On 9-11

mrkalashnikov
07-29-2011, 09:40 AM
(Newser) – George W. Bush was slow to react to news of the 9/11 attacks (or, as Reuters describes it, had a "blank face") because he "wanted to project a sense of calm," he tells National Geographic in a new interview. Bush says his first reaction upon hearing the news in that Florida classroom was "anger. Who the hell would do that to America?" Critics have long mocked Bush’s delayed reaction, which was filmed by news cameras, but Bush says his focus was "on the children, and the contrast between the attack and the innocence of children."

“I made the decision not to jump up immediately and leave the classroom. I didn't want to rattle the kids. I wanted to project a sense of calm,” he says in the hour-long interview, which will air Aug. 28 on the National Geographic Channel. "I had been in enough crises to know that the first thing a leader has to do is to project calm." Watching the reporters receive word of the attacks on their phones "was like watching a silent movie," says the former president.

I wasn't a big Dubya supporter but I think this article sheds a little more light on that morning. I believe the guy was in shock, just like the rest of us. I don't think jumping up and bolting from the room would have been the best response, considering the circumstances & surroundings.

What say ye?

Full Otto
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
As I recall that was the explanation from day one.
With all the speculation since it's gotten spun but I'd say after all this time this must be his honest feeling on the matter.

bovver
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
He knew.

Warthogg
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
I thought Dubya's action on that day were were than acceptable.

By the 5th year of Bush I had come to loathe and despise him but never have I questioned his actions on 9/11.

Wart

CigarGuy
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I thought he knew about it in advance..........;)

Justin
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
He was confused, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld said that it would happen on September 12. :rolleyes1:

All kidding aside, I wasn't a fan of Bush, but I don't think his actions on 9/11 were unacceptable. What differance would it have made if he jumped out of the room, and bolted out of the door? He would have caused a panic, and probably would have scared the children.

O.S.O.K.
07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
If this were obummer we were talking about, the media would have lavished praise on him for "keeping his composure" and "remaining calm in the face of a crisis" and such.

No, but it was a Republican so they did everything in thier power to denigrate.

His explanation has remained consistent from day one - and I think it's what happened. As said, he was in shock and was probably trying to think things through - how would you look if you were in his position and received news like that?

Thank God we had him in office instead of some fool like we have now.

bovver
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
If this were obummer we were talking about, the media would have lavished praise on him for "keeping his composure" and "remaining calm in the face of a crisis" and such.

His explanation has remained consistent from day one - and I think it's what happened. As said, he was in shock and was probably trying to think things through - how would you look if you were in his position and received news like that?

If it were obama,he would have blamed bush for it.
little b in office is why we now have obama.(jmho)

imanaknut
07-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Could you imagine how scared the kids would have been if Bush suddenly got up and ran out of the class? I think he did the right thing considering where he was when the stuff hit the fan.

jojo
07-29-2011, 12:49 PM
He could have shouted "Quick, run for you lives, everybody save yourselves" like the Congress, Senate and every Piece of Shit in Washington at the time.

Out of the mass exodus of Washington at the time, it was my understanding that GW was almost forced to leave while the rest of the cowards couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Richard Simmons
07-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Like him or not President Bush, IMHO always took the high road and conducted himself in a manner befitting the POTUS. He has more character and integrity in his big toe then the current hack has in his entire body.

Watched a show the other day where Bush stated that the highest honor he had as POTUS was saluting the members of our armed forces. Not returning a salute which is what he really does since all members salute him not the other way around and not being saluted. I'd not expect the same comment from Obama.

FWIW a friend of mine, during the course of his work day has up close and personal contact with both the current President as well as all former Presidents and their families. I wouldn't call him a "conservative" by any means but he has nothing but praise for both of the former President Bush's. In his words they treat their respective "details" with respect, appreciation and consideration. He did not express that sentiment with regards to Carter, Clinton or Obama.

Kadmos
07-29-2011, 01:53 PM
What say ye?

I say he is lying or misremembering. I would guess misremembering as he is already known to have given several different stories about how he first learned of the attack/incident.

I don't have any issue with his reaction of staying there with the kids.

My thought is he had no idea what happened or the scope of what was happening at the time.

What could he possibly really have been told at that time?

A plane crash happened in New York?
A possible hijacking?

Had he left there and went to play a round of golf I would be pissed, but he sat with kids for what 20 minutes while we presume his staff got info and put together a brief.

1 Patriot-of-many
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Exactly. I'm no fan of the big spending fakeRn but his reaction was reserved and maybe shocked, who wasn't?