PDA

View Full Version : AK Recoil ?

soonerfan85
07-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Sitting here with an aching shoulder after shooting about 30 rounds through my old Mosin this afternoon. Was wondering what the recoil from an AK is like compared to the Mosin. I've about decided to buy an AK74 hoping for less recoil from the smaller round. Thoughts.

Schuetzenman
07-31-2011, 10:53 PM
REcoil from an AK74 is like a pellet gun. Virtually no impact, just a bit of shaking.

soonerfan85
07-31-2011, 11:02 PM
REcoil from an AK74 is like a pellet gun. Virtually no impact, just a bit of shaking.

Thanks for the quick reply Schuetzenman. How about recoil on the 7.62x39? I figure it's not as bad as the 7.62.54r, but never shot an AK before so don't really know. Gettin too old to be shooting the Mosin and the old Win 94 on the same day.

FunkyPertwee
07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
7.62x39 AKM rifles have very manageable recoil. Aks of all calibers are much less harsh than a Mosin. For example, you could rapid fire ten rounds from a PSL, which is essentially an AKM in 7.62x54r, and you wouldn't be experiencing pain or discomfort.

I would say than unless your very small or are a woman, you should be fine with any caliber AK.

Eric
08-01-2011, 03:59 AM
My wife shoots my 7.62x39 AKM and has commented about the light recoil, and shes a pretty fragile thing.

Schuetzenman
08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
7.62x39 AKM rifles have very manageable recoil. Aks of all calibers are much less harsh than a Mosin. For example, you could rapid fire ten rounds from a PSL, which is essentially an AKM in 7.62x54r, and you wouldn't be experiencing pain or discomfort.

I would say than unless your very small or are a woman, you should be fine with any caliber AK.

Recoil is not harsh from a 7.62x39, never got a bruise from shooting one in shirt sleeves in hot weather. Now when I shot Mosins or my Springfield rifles I would use a PAST Pad. You put it on like a shoulder holster, they are fairly thin but they do tons of recoil reduction to the shoulder. Never got a bruise shooting a Mosin even prone wearing one of these. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=699899 http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/catalog.asp?family=past-recoil-pads Click links and read up. This as a solution is much less expensive than buying another weapon and magazines. But, if you would like to expand your collection, by all means go purchase an AK variant. They are very fun to shoot, can't beat the 30 rounds before reloaoding aspect of them.

imanaknut
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The recoil from an AK without a muzzle device compared to a Mosin is a pussy cat. Install an AMD-65 style brake and you have a mouse. The AMD brake does a great job deflecting the blast to really tame the AK even more. People complain that it makes the AK louder, but making noise is half the fun!!!

If you really want a tame AK variant, the 5.45x39 with the AK-74 brake has almost no recoil. I have an SAR-2 with the correct Romanian front sight and brake, and love to demonstrate it by holding it away from my shoulder, handguard just laying on my open hand, and just supporting the rifle. Pull the trigger and the SAR-2 barely moves.

soonerfan85
08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Good to know recoil won't be a deal killer. Will have to check out the recoil pads. The rubber butte pad I put on the Mosin just makes it feel like a mule wearing tennis shoes is kicking me. Not a lot of relief. Knowing that recoil is not an issue for the 7.62x39 opens up a lot more options. Thanks again.

blobman
08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
dude , a steel buttplated M/N is as bad as it gets for recoil

bovver
08-01-2011, 10:47 PM
dude , a steel buttplated M/N is as bad as it gets for recoil

With heavy ball