PDA

View Full Version : Small Metal Piece fell out of my WASR 10/63 Magwell

alreadysaved
08-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I just picked up a WASR 10/63 and love it. I bought 2 polymer mags for it and one of them fit. When I tried to put the other one in it was real tight and I then could hear a piece of something loose. I shook the gun a little and a small metal piece fell out of the magwell. I looked all in the gun but could not figure out where it came from! It's probably between 1/2"-1" long and makes an L shape. It has a small hole on one side where it looks like a screw or rivet went through. Does anyone know what the heck this is?

The mags that fit still fit after this popped out, and the gun still shot perfectly. But I don't want to take any chances in case this is something important. I feel that if it was in there it probably serves a purpose. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks!

circuits
08-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Got a pic?

First guess would be one of the magwell shims, not properly welded on.

alreadysaved
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I meant to take a picture, but it slipped my mind. I can take one this evening when I get home.

imanaknut
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

A picture would be very helpful. Knowing the way Century imports WASRs, that piece of metal can be anything, and very possibly not even related to the rifle!

alreadysaved
08-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

A picture would be very helpful. Knowing the way Century imports WASRs, that piece of metal can be anything, and very possibly not even related to the rifle!

Thanks! And I'm hoping you're right! It seems to function just fine without it, but you never know....I will get a picture on here this evening.

alreadysaved
08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Finally got a picture of it...

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z6qrrs.jpg

imanaknut
08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I believe that is what is known as a factory bonus part. I don't recognize it at being any part of any AKM that I know. The hole looks like for a rivet or screw, but nothing in an AKM receiver would have that part attached anywhere I know.

Very interesting!!!!! Another perfect example on why it is so important to clean any new firearm when you get it before risking yourself by pulling the trigger on a live round.

There is a chance it came out of one of the mags since you said you heard the part rattle around after you tried to insert the mags. Still "partus unknownus".

FunkyPertwee
08-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd like to be the first to recommend you using surplus steel magazines instead of US made plastic mags. Unless the polymer mags you are using are bonafide Bulgarian military "waffle" mags.

alreadysaved
08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I believe that is what is known as a factory bonus part. I don't recognize it at being any part of any AKM that I know. The hole looks like for a rivet or screw, but nothing in an AKM receiver would have that part attached anywhere I know.

Very interesting!!!!! Another perfect example on why it is so important to clean any new firearm when you get it before risking yourself by pulling the trigger on a live round.

There is a chance it came out of one of the mags since you said you heard the part rattle around after you tried to insert the mags. Still "partus unknownus".

Ok cool. That's what I was thinking and hoping. Maybe it did come out of the mag. Who knows....pretty strange...

And the one 40 rd polymer mag I just got is Bulgarian, the one that wouldn't fit is not. I have 2 military surplus steel mags now, but just wanted something different, and they fit better in the WASR than the steel mags (no wobble).

FunkyPertwee
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok cool. That's what I was thinking and hoping. Maybe it did come out of the mag. Who knows....pretty strange...

And the one 40 rd polymer mag I just got is Bulgarian, the one that wouldn't fit is not. I have 2 military surplus steel mags now, but just wanted something different, and they fit better in the WASR than the steel mags (no wobble).

Thats cool. From what I've learned though, its better to have a little wobble than a mag which can have its locking points ripped off and the bullets fly out. With the bulgarian mags, just make sure its the waffle type and not the bullet mold type.

Good luck, and enjoy your AK!

stinker
08-04-2011, 01:59 AM
What that piece almost loks like is some version of the small metal tab that comes out and around the edge of the right side of the receiver just above the mag release in this pic. I dunno what the hell you call that part.
Side note...look at that mag too :big-eye-eek:
Edit: Safety lever stop?
Pic source thread (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2368-PMAG-50-60-coming)
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/quadstackmagazine3.jpg

circuits
08-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Finally got a picture of it...

http://i52.tinypic.com/1z6qrrs.jpg
I regret to inform you that that looks like your bullet guide. Single stack receivers usually get a wider piece welded on when converted to double stack configs, to help out with feeding. Look for a dimple of bad weld right between the chamber and a seated magazine. Your rifle may still work pretty well without it, but it's there as an aid to reliability.

It might also be a loose change lever stop from the next rifle on the line when it was being built...

imanaknut
08-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I thought about a bullet guide, but I checked my SAR-1s and my WASR-10s and non had a bullet guide.

Not correct for the safety stop between the trigger guard and receiver as the Europeans used 2 rivets to hold the trigger guard to the receiver.