PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Buffers

mattg
08-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Just curios what people's experience and opinions are regarding recoil buffers. There's the 1/4" one, the 1/2" ones. Are they BS? Do they cause feeding problems? Do they break? Are they a must have?

imanaknut
08-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

While it is personal preference as to the value of recoil buffers, I personally have a Blackjack buffer in each of my AKs that I use for target practice and just plain fun.

There are people who swear up and down that they are not needed but if you look at the rear trunion of a well used AKM variant you can see witness marks from carrier and bolt strikes on the front face of the trunion. Since I don't have access to free repairs, I figure the little cost of the buffer is worth not having the carrier impacting the trunion.

Unfortunately as a collector, when I find a really nice hard to find AK variant, if the previous owner had a buffer in it, it is very hard to tell if the rifle is truly "unfired". I love it when someone tries to sell me a "new in box" AK variant and even though it is squeaky clean, there is that nice impact mark on the rear trunion testifying to the fact that the rifle has been fired several times.

There have been reports of people using the thicker buffer having cycling issues, but just as many have no problem.

As for life span, anything man-made can fail at any time, but I once ran some tests for the owner of Blackjack buffers a long time ago and was amazed at how long some of his buffers lasted. Personally I have one currently in my SAR-3 that has had over 7000 rounds through it, and an SAR-1 with over 13,000 rounds now on it's second buffer. I also have one in a Norinco 84S-1 that I lost count on, but it too is in the thousands.

Of course during testing I did have a couple of buffers that lasted less than 500 rounds, but that material never made it into production. :D

videodon
08-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Blackjack Buffers all the way for me.
In all my AKMs and PSL.
:)

stinker
08-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I won't fire my weapon without one. The little inexpensive easily replacable plastic piece taking the beating of the bolt carrier slamming back is the way to go IMO. Metal to metal hitting repeatedly on angled edges and sooner or later something is going to crack.

mattg
08-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah, putting one in seems like a no-brainer so long as the action still cycles properly. Clearly the Kalashnikov was designed to be used, abused and replaced if necessary after combat, but as collectors/appreciators, it makes sense to do anything that will protect our investments. Being the thinner and evidently more durable of the various available buffers, I agree that Blackjack is the way to go. Why do they have to be blue though? Seems like an odd choice to me.

mattg
08-06-2011, 12:44 PM
check out this discussion...
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/38880-blackjack-blue-or-black-or-buffer/

Krupski
08-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Just curios what people's experience and opinions are regarding recoil buffers. There's the 1/4" one, the 1/2" ones. Are they BS? Do they cause feeding problems? Do they break? Are they a must have?

I use the thick ones. They don't cause (me) any feeding problems... and they take a real beating. I have to replace them every 2000 rounds or so, which means they are saving the receiver from a lot of wear and tear.

Buffer in my AKM:
http://three-dog.homelinux.com/images/ak-buffer.jpg

(edit to add): This one is a "BufferTech" buffer: LINK (http://www.buffertech.com/AK-Valmet-Galil-Recoil-Buffer-P5.aspx)

Krupski
08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
There are people who swear up and down that they are not needed.....

A buffer isn't needed in a battlefield weapon where if it fails you just turn in the broken rifle and get a new one from the armory.

I had to PAY for mine and I want to keep them working as long as possible. If it breaks, I have to buy the new parts and fix it myself.

imanaknut
08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
A buffer isn't needed in a battlefield weapon where if it fails you just turn in the broken rifle and get a new one from the armory.

I had to PAY for mine and I want to keep them working as long as possible. If it breaks, I have to buy the new parts and fix it myself.

Exactly, as stated in my post not far from your quote of mine. :thumbspbig:

binky59
08-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I installed blackjack buffers in all of my AKM's and my SKS, I didn't even bother to run without them. Recoil is not a problem for me, I just wanted to protect the rear trunion. They cycle fine, no issues:hoo-yeah:

Krupski
08-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I installed blackjack buffers in all of my AKM's and my SKS, I didn't even bother to run without them. Recoil is not a problem for me, I just wanted to protect the rear trunion. They cycle fine, no issues:hoo-yeah:

A recoil buffer only protects the receiver from metal-to-metal smashing. They do nothing for FELT recoil by the shooter.

goyena70
08-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I won't fire my weapon without one. The little inexpensive easily replacable plastic piece taking the beating of the bolt carrier slamming back is the way to go IMO. Metal to metal hitting repeatedly on angled edges and sooner or later something is going to crack.
Hi all, just joined the net. I am a 1911 nut but after shooting an AK I got hooked and bought one. Pardon the dumb question but what exactly does the buffer do? Where can I obtain one?

imanaknut
08-25-2011, 11:32 PM
The recoil buffer in an AK protects the rear of the receiver from being battered by the bolt and carrier. Check any AK variant that has been fired more than a couple of rounds and you can see the marks on the rear trunion. An exact impression of the rear of the carrier and bolt.

Buffers for many firearms can be found at www.blackjackbuffers.com

WB!
08-30-2011, 06:44 PM
I have used a Buffer Tech for about 1200-1300 rounds. I like it! It reduces the sound of the carrier hitting the rear. It protects the rear from impact (to help the receiver last longer). Follow up shots are a little better. It seems to help the control a little. Some guns don't do well with the buffers. And some guns that have cycling problens, have been helped by the buffer. I feel that $15 is cheap enough. It's easy to put in. And if it doesn't help, you havn't lost much. I recomend trying one.

Hooof_arted
11-27-2011, 05:42 AM
I use a buffer in my 1911. Also have heard that one
With cycling issues on an ak (bolt getting stuck and not
Returning) the buffer tends to alleviate this issue??

Bmace035
11-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Small investment to maintain the longevity of your rifle.

Hooof_arted
11-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Small investment to maintain the longevity of your rifle.

Or any gun for that matter.