PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Delton kit ....

abpt1
08-07-2011, 03:22 PM
So I went to Scarco for parts to finish this ......

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/abpt1/GS3.jpg

As a A1 retro build ....But they were out of barrels two they had one was a old colt neutered for 150 the other needed the FS pin dimples cut then the price with a barrel was 499 for the kit and with out the barrel was 435 I was like WTF ? They had a lot of surplus but not what I was looking for SO I ended up going home and ordering a Delton A2 20" Light Weight Rifle Kit 475 all new parts .... but I am kinda on the fence about the durability of a light weight barrel ...?

AK-J
08-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd think that the barrel should last as long as a hbar, as long as you don't use it as a pry bar. ;)

abpt1
08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd think that the barrel should last as long as a hbar, as long as you don't use it as a pry bar. ;)
that's seems to be the general consensus just thought id ask what everyones thoughts were ....

thanks
:thumbsup:

Helen Keller
08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
but I am kinda on the fence about the durability of a light weight barrel ...?

Unless you got a LL or DIAS and will be doing mag dumps all day it will last forever.

raxar
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm comtemplating buying a kit to built a flat top 20" (maybe even 24"). these AR dealies seem to be quite the sickness

Schuetzenman
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
So I went to Scarco for parts to finish this ......
I ended up going home and ordering a Delton A2 20" Light Weight Rifle Kit 475 all new parts .... but I am kinda on the fence about the durability of a light weight barrel ...?

Oh God NO you didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO .... no issue really on durability. Just thought I'd tweak you a bit. It will reach peak heat faster but sure is going to be a lot lighter. Would love to see the finished weapon once you get it put together. Oh and there is always Cryo treatement by 300° Industries in IL. That will make the steel much tougher and relieve all stress. It should make the weapon more accurate and double the service life in rounds for the bore.

deth502
08-07-2011, 10:53 PM
ROFLMAO .... no issue really on durability. Just thought I'd tweak you a bit. It will reach peak heat faster but sure is going to be a lot lighter. Would love to see the finished weapon once you get it put together. Oh and there is always Cryo treatement by 300° Industries in IL. That will make the steel much tougher and relieve all stress. It should make the weapon more accurate and double the service life in rounds for the bore.

schuetz, i remember before you talking about working for a few years for a place that made rifle bb, so i figure you should know a thing or 2.

do you really think that cryo shit does anything? im sure it does something, but i find it hard to believe that it would make a measurable difference either way. and 2x the life is quite a difference.

pastfinder
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
My Del-ton 16" lightweight acted up when I first got her, but the folks at Del-ton fixed her up in a jiffy. You are going to like your AR kit, I guarantee it ;)

abpt1
08-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Your order has shipped(8-12-11).

(Order placed on 08/06/2011)

Schuetzenman
08-13-2011, 08:34 AM
schuetz, i remember before you talking about working for a few years for a place that made rifle bb, so i figure you should know a thing or 2.

do you really think that cryo shit does anything? im sure it does something, but i find it hard to believe that it would make a measurable difference either way. and 2x the life is quite a difference.

Yes it does work if it's by 300° in IL. I've done 8 weapons, they all improved in accuracy. They all can shoot until they get smoking hot and no group wandering. The 2X life thing is an estimate as I personally haven't been able to put that many rounds through a rifle, but the photo micrographs of how the steel improves and becomes less porous is something that can be proved. Also there are well documented cases of how razor blades and kife edges hold up many many times longer than usual after cryogenic treatment. http://www.300below.com/ Use da link and read up.

L1A1Rocker
08-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes it does work if it's by 300° in IL. I've done 8 weapons, they all improved in accuracy. They all can shoot until they get smoking hot and no group wandering. The 2X life thing is an estimate as I personally haven't been able to put that many rounds through a rifle, but the photo micrographs of how the steel improves and becomes less porous is something that can be proved. Also there are well documented cases of how razor blades and kife edges hold up many many times longer than usual after cryogenic treatment. http://www.300below.com/ Use da link and read up.

They've got lots of info on their site but no mention of how much it costs. That always bothers me for some reason. . . Do you have any idea how much they charge?

Schuetzenman
08-13-2011, 12:47 PM
They've got lots of info on their site but no mention of how much it costs. That always bothers me for some reason. . . Do you have any idea how much they charge?

Not sure anymore but it was around $80 bucks to send in a barreled receiver and have it treated. Return postage was included at that time. I'm talking about 6 years ago.