PDA

View Full Version : Our troops in Germany

CigarGuy
08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Can anyone explain to me the strategery of the above? Something like 30,000
troops who take our taxpayer money and support the German economy?
Someone once explained it's "our" defence against the evil empire. I'm thinking we'll let Germany be the first responders to that?

Krupski
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Someone once explained it's "our" defence against the evil empire. I'm thinking we'll let Germany be the first responders to that?

I have absolutely no complaints about "our troops" spending taxpayer money in the sense that they need, deserve and should get the best equipment that money can buy.

The real problem is... why are so many of OUR sons and daughters camped out in other countries risking their health, safety and lives for fucking foreigners? Bring them home.

Warthogg
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Our troops await the attack by the Soviet Union.

Wart

Krupski
08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Our troops await the attack by the Soviet Union.

Wart

Get with the program. "Communists" are so last-century. It's TERRORIST now. Terrorists. They're everywhere. Around each corner. Watching you. Waiting. Reporting. Planning. Terrorizing.

Scared yet? :)

Don't be afraid. Big Brother will protect you.

mriddick
08-07-2011, 04:34 PM

I think it's a lot of reasons, our our military leaders want them there so they are there, think of it as make work for the military. Without bases all over the place we wouldn't need so many generals, so many commanders, etc... Our pols like them because it projects power, the Presidents leave them there because who wants open themselves to being attacked as the President who oversaw our shrinking influence around the world. In some ways I understand the idea, I own alot of firearms I never need but have them just because they cost me very little, they might come in handy and who knows better to have them then not... However if I was in need of money I might look at just what I really needed VS what I might never use, in some ways I think we are at this point as well.

Warthogg
08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Get with the program. "Communists" are so last-century. It's TERRORIST now. Terrorists. They're everywhere. Around each corner. Watching you. Waiting. Reporting. Planning. Terrorizing.

Scared yet? :)

Don't be afraid. Big Brother will protect you.

Our troops await the attack by the Soviet Union TERRORISTS.

Wart

Warthogg
08-07-2011, 04:43 PM

I cannot.

Wart

Ronwicp
08-07-2011, 05:59 PM
The only thing I can say is its a holdover from the cold war era. I fly to Germany a lot. While we could fly here direct to Iraq, it sure is nice to stop over night. And that keeps us from having to park the jet and stay overnight in Iraq or A-stan.

Krupski
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Our troops await the attack by the Soviet Union TERRORISTS.

Wart:thumbsup:

Ruskiegunlover
08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
My attitude is pull them the hell out of germany, station them in POLAND or the Czech republic. Fuck germany.......same with south korea. Those people want to hate us, do everything they can to shit on us, fuck em. Get our troops out. The only thing worse then our troops dieing is them DIEING FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE THEM OR SHIT ON THEM.

Poland and the czech republic have supported us and tried to help us a lot. PLUS, russia is committed to playing the cold war again, and trying to hurt us every chance they get. If anything, putting troops and a missle shield their would SERIOUSLY piss off the russians. And that alone makes it worth it to me.

mriddick
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
If we are pulling troops out of places why not start where we just lost 31 guys and are spending 2 billion a week nation building?

btcave
08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
It seems to me it is past time we pulled more of the troops home. Especially out of Europe. I loved being stationed in Germany, but times change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces

Overseas

As of 31 December 2010, U.S. Armed Forces were stationed at more than 820 installations in at least 135 countries.[22] Some of the largest contingents are the 85,600 military personnel deployed in Iraq, the 103,700 in Afghanistan, the 52,440 in Germany (see list), the 35,688 in Japan (USFJ), the 28,500 in Republic of Korea (USFK), the 9,660 in Italy, and the 9,015 in the United Kingdom respectively. These numbers change frequently due to the regular recall and deployment of units.

Altogether, 77,917 military personnel are located in Europe, 141 in the former Soviet Union, 47,236 in East Asia and the Pacific, 3,362 in North Africa, the Near East, and South Asia, 1,355 in sub-Saharan Africa and 1,941 in the Western Hemisphere excepting the United States itself.
[edit] Within the United States

Including U.S. territories and ships afloat within territorial waters

As of 31 December 2009, a total of 1,137,568 personnel were on active duty within the United States and its territories (including 84,461 afloat).[15] The vast majority, 941,629 of them, were stationed at various bases within the Contiguous United States. There were an additional 37,245 in Hawaii and 20,450 in Alaska. 84,461 were at sea, 2,972 in Guam, and 179 in Puerto Rico.

That's a shit load of people on the federal payroll.

dfariswheel
08-07-2011, 08:28 PM
We're no longer in Germany to protect Germany.

Germany is a good, safe, secure jumping off place for other places.
A lot of troops and special ops are located there for fast deployment. Our troops aren't very safe or welcome in some other countries farther to the south and east so Germany is a good location handy to them. At least in Germany you can drink a beer and be seen with a woman.
Wounded from all over the world are shipped to the American military hospital in Germany until they can be stabilized for the trip home.

A lot of administrative headquarters are in Germany.
The bases are already there and in good shape. It'd cost billions to move them.
Poland might be good BUT, there's still a lot of resentment among the former Commie military, and Poland might be too secure or safe depending on how the Russians are feeling at any time.

stinker
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Because we could never ever pull them out of that country. No price is too high for maintaining our bases there.
If we did the germans might start acting like...you know...germans. :)

That being said, it is a spectacular launch off point for our forces.
I hear the beer is pretty damn good too :boozer:

Besides, where else we gonna send them to, Guam?
Hank Johnson warned us what could happen if we do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTkv_DoR00&feature=related

alismith
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
It seems to me it is past time we pulled more of the troops home. Especially out of Europe. I loved being stationed in Germany, but times change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces

That's a shit load of people on the federal payroll.

A drop in the bucket compared to all the welfare recipients on the federal payroll. At least, the military is serving our country and working for their money.

T2K
08-08-2011, 02:46 AM
In Europe, the Cold War is over but Russia is resurgent. Still, the main reason at this point is "forward deployment". The Korean Peninsula is hot, but Korea's economy is in much better shape than ours, surely then can defend themselves? Japan is the #3 economy in the world, despite economic problems, but same deal.

I contend that we can maintain a forward presence and bases but with a lot, lot less troops and spending. Instead of spending money on housing, beer, and getting laid in Germany, Japan, South Korea, the UK, etc our troops should be doing that in the US.

tank_monkey
08-08-2011, 10:08 PM
In Europe, the Cold War is over but Russia is resurgent. Still, the main reason at this point is "forward deployment". The Korean Peninsula is hot, but Korea's economy is in much better shape than ours, surely then can defend themselves? Japan is the #3 economy in the world, despite economic problems, but same deal.

I contend that we can maintain a forward presence and bases but with a lot, lot less troops and spending. Instead of spending money on housing, beer, and getting laid in Germany, Japan, South Korea, the UK, etc our troops should be doing that in the US.

To add to the excellent posts regarding why we have a forward presence in Germany, Japan and Korea have U.S. presence because of CHINA! We don't fear North Korea but if the NKs ever nuke Japan or SK, it will be a shitstorm. Even though we 'could' sit it out militarily, what is actually best for us is for peace to prevail for ECONOMIC reasons! Also China is still trying their little shenanigans with Taiwan and other countries in the region. Having a presence there gives us a Seat at the table. If we weren't there at all, I fear that all of the countries would stop listening to us (they don't always do what we want, but they ALWAYS listen when the U.S. Speaks .... well, at least before the weak leader we have not but that's another story)

imanaknut
08-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Not only is there strategic value of being in Germany, but after the war to end all wars, we left Europe only to have a nobody build the worst killing machine in the history of mankind. There might be a hidden reason we are still in Germany, to prevent what happened twice in the last century.

Maybe some people remember the past?

stinker
08-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Not only is there strategic value of being in Germany, but after the war to end all wars, we left Europe only to have a nobody build the worst killing machine in the history of mankind. There might be a hidden reason we are still in Germany, to prevent what happened twice in the last century.

Maybe some people remember the past?

If we did the germans might start acting like...you know...germans.
Actually i was'nt joking about that part despite the humor surrounding it.
The rot that gave rise to the third reich is still alive and well in their culture.