PDA

View Full Version : How in the heck did this happen?

Zoff12
08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I was shooting my .45 Witness the other day... guess that's when it happened. Went to clean it today and found this...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/zoff12/Firearms/0807112050.jpg

The missing piece is nowhere to be found. I know the last time I cleaned it... intact. Today... no.

Any ideas?

Yes... factory Winchester white box ball.

No... noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

How is EAA for service?

blobman
08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
dmn, didnt drop it?

El Laton Caliente
08-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow, that sux!

Zoff12
08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
dmn, didnt drop it?
Nope... didn't drop it.

Krupski
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I was shooting my .45 Witness the other day... guess that's when it happened. Went to clean it today and found this...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/zoff12/Firearms/0807112050.jpg

The missing piece is nowhere to be found. I know the last time I cleaned it... intact. Today... no.

Any ideas?

Yes... factory Winchester white box ball.

No... noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

How is EAA for service?

WTF??? It's hard to tell from the picture. Is part of the trigger guard and part of the frame by the slide stop hole corroded away????

(looked more closely... I see the trigger guard is covered with the cloth).

(BTW that pistol looks a lot like a CZ-75).

(edit to add): I wonder if the frame was sand-cast and there was a sand void in the metal?

I would think the manufacturer would fix that... no reason for that to happen. Even hot or overloaded ammo should have nothing to to with the slide lock clearance hole. You probably need the frame replaced. It looks like stainless steel and it probably wouldn't be easy (or possible) to weld in a new piece and then machine it.

Schuetzenman
08-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Probably an Investment cast frame. Sand casting is very old school and low definition. Either way some sort of inclusion, aka dirt or impurity may have been in that part if it is a casting. Otherwise it may be a tempering issue, frame too hard in other words and it cracked from stress.

In any event, that frame is toast and if there's any warranty with the weapon I hope it's good enough to get you a new frame. I personally wouldn't trust a frame that has cracked.

Zoff12
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
The Witness is basically the CZ75... just in .45. Yeah... the trigger guard is fine. It's the chunk taken out of the top of the frame. I know you see it... just point it out for those who don't see it.

I don't trust it now and hope EAA will fix or replace it. Sending it to them next week. I spoke with them and they said send it but never asked about what the damage was.

blobman
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
man i lokked at this pic fpor like 20 mins and was sure it was ther etriggerguard .although i saw the slidestop void also

Zoff12
08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Well... What would everything including 5 mags (minus the frame) be worth? Might be more than I want to fool with and just get rid of it.

Mark Ducati
08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like it got dropped on the left side at the rear of the frame where there's a dent... at first I didn't see the piece of metal missing above the slide stop... also thought that perhaps you just noticed you were missing the entire slide, but how could any one be that dense?

FunkyPertwee
08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
You might like a CZ-97.

Zoff12
08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Looks like it got dropped on the left side at the rear of the frame where there's a dent... at first I didn't see the piece of metal missing above the slide stop... also thought that perhaps you just noticed you were missing the entire slide, but how could any one be that dense?
That "dent" is just the lighting. lol to the slide missing.

You might like a CZ-97.
I'm sticking with my Glocks and Brownings. I have never really warmed up to the CZ platform.

abpt1
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I would get it fixed and get rid of it !

Zoff12
08-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I would get it fixed and get rid of it !
That's the plan if I don't have to take a beating doing it. I would, of course, divulge that there was damage/repair. Worried that what I would have to sell it for would be less than what it takes to fix it.

FunkyPertwee
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
That "dent" is just the lighting. lol to the slide missing.

I'm sticking with my Glocks and Brownings. I have never really warmed up to the CZ platform.

I love my CZ-75. Seems pretty familiar to my Browning hi-power.

Zoff12
08-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I love my CZ-75. Seems pretty familiar to my Browning hi-power.
They are similar to the Browning. The CZ-75 is one of the finest built pistols out there. Just not my cup of tea.