PDA

View Full Version : Falling Skies Final

Schuetzenman
08-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Well finished watching it, pretty good but too many commercial breaks. They set up a cliff hanger moment for next season. Which is said to be Summer of 2012! Damn, that's too long to wait.

NewbieAKguy
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Didn't watch any of the episodes myself; kept forgetting about it. But......bring on The Walking Dead!!!

Schuetzenman
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Didn't watch any of the episodes myself; kept forgetting about it. But......bring on The Walking Dead!!!

You missed something good if you did. I would suggest you can catch it on Hulu probably. I have Comcast cable and anytime I forgot to watch on a Sunday I was able to go back in and watch it On Demand for free. I too am waiting for The Walking Dead season 2, and damn the 2.5 months it's going to take for it to get here.

NewbieAKguy
08-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll try to remember. My wife has a netflix acct., maybe it'll be on there sometime. How was it gun handling/"reality" wise? Yes I know aliens are involved, but typical hollywood gun play or actually decent?

alismith
08-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah. They said it would be an ending you wouldn't believe and I never would have guessed it. It's been a great series so far.

The only weak point I saw tonight was when they hooked the two wires up to the flag pole to make it an antenna. They only needed one and if one wire were a grounding wire and the other were the antenna, it wouldn't have worked. The grounding wire was hooked up to the active part of the pole. (But, I can live with that.)

If you missed the series, you missed one of the better ones on TV lately.

ltorlo64
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Because of my work schedule I was only able to watch one episode, luckily it was one of the first. I will have to check that On-Demand feature to see if I can catch up.

Broondog
08-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Well finished watching it, pretty good but too many commercial breaks. They set up a cliff hanger moment for next season. Which is said to be Summer of 2012! Damn, that's too long to wait.

it's over already? didn't it just start? that's the problem with TV shows lately, at least IMO. the season last's for like 2 months and then they make you wait like a year for the next season. that just doesn't inspire me to watch ANYTHING on TV anymore.

i did kinda want to check this show out and did catch a short piece of like maybe the second episode but one thing lead to another and i never picked it back up. if season 2 is so far away i bet i never pick it up again. the same thing happened with the recent Battlestar Galactica series. it was on, and then not for a long time, and then they give you a little more and then poof, it's gone again.

i'll wait for the seasons on DVD......maybe.

alismith
08-07-2011, 11:30 PM
it's over already? didn't it just start? that's the problem with TV shows lately, at least IMO. the season last's for like 2 months and then they make you wait like a year for the next season. that just doesn't inspire me to watch ANYTHING on TV anymore.

i did kinda want to check this show out and did catch a short piece of like maybe the second episode but one thing lead to another and i never picked it back up. if season 2 is so far away i bet i never pick it up again. the same thing happened with the recent Battlestar Galactica series. it was on, and then not for a long time, and then they give you a little more and then poof, it's gone again.

i'll wait for the seasons on DVD......maybe.

I'm sure there will be reruns all winter.

Broondog
08-07-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm sure there will be reruns all winter.

my whole point is that just about the time that i find a show worth watching (which BTW are far and few between) it gets a little bit of airplay and then poof....the season is over and it's forever until the next season. thusly, i loose interest and wonder just why in the hell i wasted my time watching the show.

OR.....this scenario happens......

a new show comes along that i like and i start watching it and then poof.....they cancel it altogether. more wasted time.

and folks wonder why i watch TVLand a lot. or History/Discovery type stuff.

Oswald Bastable
08-08-2011, 12:26 AM
I'll try to remember. My wife has a netflix acct., maybe it'll be on there sometime. How was it gun handling/"reality" wise? Yes I know aliens are involved, but typical hollywood gun play or actually decent?

Guns, gun handling were pretty good throughout, though there was, of course, some hollyweird stupidity thrown in.

Spoiler alert!!!

One serious idiocy (not directly gun/gun handling related...but close enough) the aliens have mechanized walkers that are nearly impenetrable unless you use a serious explosive charge against them, and one character figures out how to make bullets out of the armor the walkers are made of, thus allowing the humans to blow holes through them. They show 'em making slugs as easily as lead castings. If the damn metal is that impenetrable, how is it so easily smelted and reformed?

Another, the same character casts an RPG 7 round out of that same metal...late in the final episode he's talking about how it's a 'standard army issue RPG launcher with a mech metal round.' As far as I know, the US army has never had a 'standard issue' RPG anything. We went from the bazooka to the LAWS rocket, never issued an RPG of any form, though I'm sure US troops have used captured ones in the ME.

Plenty of AKs and ARs/M16s in use, many HKs...all of them full-auto, no mention of how they scrounged so many full-auto HKs and AKs. The full-auto M16s are at least believable in that they could have been scrounged from US NG armories (HK's could also be potentially explained this way...they're in the NE, so perhaps they raided Langley or something, though that's never mentioned). But full-auto AKs?

And of course, as is typical of hollyweird, there's never any muzzle climb when firing full-auto. All weapons are as well behaved and steady as an accountant doing a tax return.

NewbieAKguy
08-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Lol. Thanks for the heads up. Regarding the full-auto AKs, I'll just chalk it up to some ingenious gunsmithing.....you know, something that none of us here would do if aliens or whomever invaded. :D

Oswald Bastable
08-08-2011, 02:20 AM
.....you know, something that none of us here would do if aliens or whomever invaded. :D

Well of course we would...if we'd survived the initial assault, and if we had leftover parts from demilled kits, and if we knew precisely where to drill the 3rd hole because we'd researched everything before the interwebz and electrical grid had gone down...

Hell, we'd be able to produce full-auto AKs by the hundreds.

:)

Hobe Sound AK
08-08-2011, 04:07 AM
The season was Short, as his second Show, comes out on Fox, the Last Monday in September. The Show Terra Nova, about far Future Time Travelers escapeing a Dying Earth, into the Past 80 Million Years to live. Key Word! DINOSAURS!!!!!! Yea!

Schuetzenman
08-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Guns, gun handling were pretty good throughout, though there was, of course, some hollyweird stupidity thrown in.

Spoiler alert!!!

One serious idiocy (not directly gun/gun handling related...but close enough) the aliens have mechanized walkers that are nearly impenetrable unless you use a serious explosive charge against them, and one character figures out how to make bullets out of the armor the walkers are made of, thus allowing the humans to blow holes through them. They show 'em making slugs as easily as lead castings. If the damn metal is that impenetrable, how is it so easily smelted and reformed?

Another, the same character casts an RPG 7 round out of that same metal...late in the final episode he's talking about how it's a 'standard army issue RPG launcher with a mech metal round.' As far as I know, the US army has never had a 'standard issue' RPG anything. We went from the bazooka to the LAWS rocket, never issued an RPG of any form, though I'm sure US troops have used captured ones in the ME.

Plenty of AKs and ARs/M16s in use, many HKs...all of them full-auto, no mention of how they scrounged so many full-auto HKs and AKs. The full-auto M16s are at least believable in that they could have been scrounged from US NG armories (HK's could also be potentially explained this way...they're in the NE, so perhaps they raided Langley or something, though that's never mentioned). But full-auto AKs?

And of course, as is typical of hollyweird, there's never any muzzle climb when firing full-auto. All weapons are as well behaved and steady as an accountant doing a tax return.

Yes, I thought of the casting bullets out of Mech Metal thing as well. I cast bullets and they were using cast slugs to represent the super bad-ass metal slugs made from essence of alien invader. I snickered a bit but hey it is fantacy so you just have to park your logical brain at the door before you enter.

abpt1
08-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Yes, I thought of the casting bullets out of Mech Metal thing as well. I cast bullets and they were using cast slugs to represent the super bad-ass metal slugs made from essence of alien invader. I snickered a bit but hey it is fantacy so you just have to park your logical brain at the door before you enter. lol i was thinking the same thing ...but I still give it a :thumbsup:

Zeller
08-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I kind of thought the acting was sub-par. But it is on TNT. Interesting none the less.

recon
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Man do I hate regular tv! To many friggin commercial breaks.

RJ Shooter
08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Man do I hate regular tv! To many friggin commercial breaks.I watch everything from the DVR, that way I just skip the commercials... ;)

I liked the series. They're starting these show off with only 6 or so episodes, simply because shows are having trouble making it. Shows like this and The Walking Dead are doing well, because they're unusual, and pretty will scripted. I literally cannot wait for the Walking Dead's next season to start up... I plan on buying the BluRay set of season one this week... DirecTV doesn't offer AMC in HD, so I wanna watch it at 1080p @ 62"!!!! :)