PDA

View Full Version : Any Central Texas builders?

brianb
08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
I am having a bit of an issue removing and (probably installing) a barrel pin for a romanian AK. Built this as a first timer a while back and was having issues with the gun, as I was never happy with the seating of the barrel, I decided to remove the pin, reset the barrel and put in a new pin. Here's the problem, I don't have access to a press anymore and am not sure what to do. Any buildings in the central Texas area (austin) have the time or expertise to help? Even if it's just some helpful hints, I'll take whatever I can get :) Let me know if I need to post any additional information.

Brian

Tx Dogblaster
08-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Personally, I've never removed nor installed a barrel pin with a press. I just block and shim the receiver and start the pin with a brass 9/16 OD brass rod and a 3# hammer until the pin is flush with the trunnion and then use a punch that's just undersized for the hole and drive it the rest of the way. When I install the pin, I start the pin directly with the hammer and the drive it really close with the brass rod or a piece of aluminum barstock. Once it's close to being even on both sides of the trunnion then I'll give it a couple of light taps with the punch and I'm done. It's 10 times faster than a press...

SouthernArmament
09-03-2011, 09:34 PM
yes you can beat the hell out of it with a hammer and get it out but, you can get a press for like 50 bucks in a classified ad or something. heck even new at harbor freight they are like 100 or less with the coupons that come out all of the time.

I would even go to a garage and ask them to press it out, I'm sure you can find a cool gas staion guy that will do it for you. TX is the land of guns... good luck

O.S.O.K.
09-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'd be happy to help but my shop is completely packed up... I'm selling the house. :(

BTW, :welcome: to the board.

brianb
09-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I'd be happy to help but my shop is completely packed up... I'm selling the house. :(

BTW, :welcome: to the board.

Thansk everyone, I tried the hammer and punch method and it wasn't going that well, located a friend with a hot rod shop and a press and will try that, hopefully this weekend. If this goes well then the rifle is done.

THEN it's off to my cheesey Norinco Hunter to vague Galil mock up I've been working on...I'm sure I'll be back for that one.