PDA

View Full Version : Questions on cutting down a Benelli barrel

Dafapa
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a Benelli M3 with (I think) a 22" vent rib barrel with a bead site. I would prefer it have an 18" barrel with ghost ring sights (or something similar). I've had trouble finding a factory barrel that has what I want, so I'm considering the following:

Having the barrel cut to 18.5"
Having the rib removed
Having ghost ring sights installed
Having the cut down barrel tapped for choke tubes

Are all these doable by a competent gunsmith? and what would the cost be like? From what I've seen a factory barrel is around 400-500.

jojo
08-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Buy this barrel and be done with it. You may could recover some of your cost by selling your barrel. I think you would have about the same money in your barrel if not more after you had a professional do the mods to it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245869670

stinker
08-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Any competent gunsmith could do the work. It's not a very hard job, but i think i would go with a new barrel myself since that is a possible option. It just adds value to the shotgun as an options part and you could switch back and forth quite easily if you wanted too.

O.S.O.K.
08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree with JoJo but check around for a better price - you have to watch gunbroker...

Dafapa
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
I just can't swing 400-500 for just a barrel right now. Unless the cut down option is substantially cheaper I'm stuck with the gun as is at those prices. Unfortunately I've read that the M3 is out of production and may be headed towards being more of a collector's item. This makes me worry that chopping the factory barrel up may actually damage its value. Maybe I should just sell it and pick up something else?

Schuetzenman
08-11-2011, 05:53 AM
I just can't swing 400-500 for just a barrel right now. Unless the cut down option is substantially cheaper I'm stuck with the gun as is at those prices. Unfortunately I've read that the M3 is out of production and may be headed towards being more of a collector's item. This makes me worry that chopping the factory barrel up may actually damage its value. Maybe I should just sell it and pick up something else?

Now that is a good idea. Sell it and get something more to your liking.