PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Ak

njo
08-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Hello folks ! I just want to take the time to say i've loved guns for my whole life. I think I have a gun fetish but enough of that... anyway I want to find a really cheap AK-47 under 400 I have looked into the WASR-10's and they seem to be my best bet. I just got back from a gun show today and will be going to one next weekend and I am going to hope that I can get my hands on one ... I really don't want to but one online because that will cost too much money for the transfer/shipping etc ... so if anyone has any suggestions I am totally open to them !

Thanks,

Nathan

imanaknut
08-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the group !!!
:welcome:

The nice thing about hand checking a WASR-10 is you can check to make sure the gas and sight blocks are on straight, insert a mag and make sure if fits snuggly. Not too tight or too loose. Make sure the mag well was opened evenly, not to one side or the other, but centered.

You might find another variant that you might like, for instance a MAK-90 for about $100 more than you are wanting to spend, but is tons better in quality than a WASR.

Regardless, if you find a WASR that looks right, there is a good chance it will be like any other AKM and serve you well.

njo
08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
thanks for the help!

now they must have some WASR's or some cheap AK at the gun show...maybe I might try to trade my little .410 and some cash to get me one of those WASR's :D

P.S. thanks for the warm welcome lol :boobzji3::anim_beer-1: There are soo many smilies !

AKTexas
08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The nut is right and he is a library of information on the ak.You can also go with a Saiga and convert it to the standard ak style.

slamfire51
08-08-2010, 11:10 PM
And a big welcome from me.
"nut is the go to guy with questions like this. He is extremely knowledgeable.
Good luck on your search.

MeanzMagnum
08-27-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm new to this site but am in a bit of a predicament. I have my Remington 770(.270) hunting rifle up for sale on lasvegas.backpage.com and have had a trade offer for it. My gun comes with one clip, a hard shell case, 160+ rounds, bipod, and Bushnell scope(mid model). A guy offered me his WASR AK for it and I've read about the sights and gas block issues but have no idea on how to check for these issues. Can someone pleasegive me some in sight as to how to check for it and if this is a good trade in opinion. This trade is suppose to happen sunday so any quick response is appreciated. Thanks in advance and I look forward to being an active member on your forums.

recon
08-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Welcome to The AK-47 Site! I guess know one responded yet? Trade sounds good to me but thats me. Need to find some pictures to try and explain it to you. Is he giving you like a 3 day inspection time? The easiest way is to line up the rear sight notch with the front sight post. Plus see if the barrel is straight.

imanaknut
08-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the group, MeanzMagnum !!! :welcome:

Sorry for not responding, but I have been away for a while because a small plane landed at the local airport, and some guy that I never met got out of the right seat, and my daughter got out of the left. Spent a nice weekend with my "baby" and the three of us spent today lightening my ammo count at home!

Anyway, I agree with recon that it looks like a nice deal as long as the WASR-10 is in very good condition. Also like he said, just sight down the top of the rifle from the rear and make sure that the sight block and gas block are vertical. If the sight block is off slightly, that usually isn't a problem but many people, me included, prefer it to be straight. On the other hand, a crooked gas block could lead to cycling problems.

Not knowing what you know about the AK, forgive me if this is old news to you, but if you disassemble it and find the gas piston is slightly loose on the bolt carrier, that is normal and proper. Same with the slant brake being slightly loose.

Also, and again forgive me if you already know, but many people look at the slant brake and complain that it is crooked because if faced to the right. Again normal.

Hope all went well with the trade if you indeed do it today, Sunday.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask any question you might have. Remember, there are no stupid questions if you truly want to know something, but beware that there can be stupid answers!!!! :D

Again, welcome to the sight and enjoy!!!!!!

MeanzMagnum
08-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome to The AK-47 Site! I guess know one responded yet? Trade sounds good to me but thats me. Need to find some pictures to try and explain it to you. Is he giving you like a 3 day inspection time? The easiest way is to line up the rear sight notch with the front sight post. Plus see if the barrel is straight.

I ended up doing the trade. I failed to ask for any inspection time, which was my first time trading mistake. I took the gun out today with my buddy and had several problems. I cleaned the rifle before taking it out today hoping that would clean up any dirty misuse ;) . Well, needless to say, I had jam after jam, a rattling(railed) dust cover, bad feeds from the p.o.s Tapco mags, and broke the vert. hand grip(which was almost fatal to my friend that was shooting it at the time). I'm not worried about getting screwed on the trade, cause I feel I still made out. The bastard that traded me though, was using the cheap,plastic rails and grip so no wonder. And the scope is decent but probably not now that it hit the ground twice today. So, it proved to be a very good learning experience. And, the reason I feel like I still made out is because the .270 traded, was at my local gun shop for $300 with the same scope. So, here's the total trade recap:

His:
Wasr-10 AK-47
apprx. 800 rds (russian FMJ)
vert hand grip
plastic furniture/full stock
dust cover rail
alright scope
6 mags(2 steel, 4 tapco)
hard case

My:
Remington 770 (.270)
Bushnell scope
locking hard case
160 rds
1 mag

MeanzMagnum
08-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks!! Glad to be here!! Looks like a good group of guys (and gals if any). And my AK experience is new founded and just researched from forums (like gunsnet ;) ) so ANY advice is grateful. I will definitely check for the loose piston. Thanks for the heads up. Just glad to have an AK

slamfire51
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
I ended up doing the trade. I failed to ask for any inspection time, which was my first time trading mistake. I took the gun out today with my buddy and had several problems. I cleaned the rifle before taking it out today hoping that would clean up any dirty misuse ;) . Well, needless to say, I had jam after jam, a rattling(railed) dust cover, bad feeds from the p.o.s Tapco mags, and broke the vert. hand grip(which was almost fatal to my friend that was shooting it at the time). I'm not worried about getting screwed on the trade, cause I feel I still made out. The bastard that traded me though, was using the cheap,plastic rails and grip so no wonder. And the scope is decent but probably not now that it hit the ground twice today. So, it proved to be a very good learning experience. And, the reason I feel like I still made out is because the .270 traded, was at my local gun shop for $300 with the same scope. So, here's the total trade recap:

His:
Wasr-10 AK-47
apprx. 800 rds (russian FMJ)
vert hand grip
plastic furniture/full stock
dust cover rail
alright scope
6 mags(2 steel, 4 tapco)
hard case

My:
Remington 770 (.270)
Bushnell scope
locking hard case
160 rds
1 mag

MM,
There's very few things that can't be repaired on an AK. All the things you mentioned are fixable. If you have any questions, just ask. We will do our best to help.

slamfire51
08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the group, MeanzMagnum !!! :welcome:
Sorry for not responding, but I have been away for a while because a small plane landed at the local airport, and some guy that I never met got out of the right seat, and my daughter got out of the left. Spent a nice weekend with my "baby" and the three of us spent today lightening my ammo count at home!

Nut are you saying you lightened the ammo count.
Does this mean you were shooting AT the guy or WITH the guy that arrived with your daughter? :machinegun::laughingtohard:

MeanzMagnum
08-31-2010, 03:44 AM
I'm looking at a couple of parts for mine. If anyone can deliver any insight on my research, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
http://www.ftfindustries.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FI&Product_Code=AK-RRTC&Category_Code
instead of my rail mounted dust cover.
http://www.zahal.org/products/collapsible-butt-stock-tube-shock-absorber-for-ak-47-polymer-version1
It's a little pricey for an AK but I'll probably end up throwing it on my *nicer* ak when I get it. I know it's stupid, but I'd like to put it on the new American, milled AK's I was looking at @ the gun shop. Even though I will prob end up sticking with stamped just for the SHTF scenario.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/ak-vepr-saiga-romak-1-2-slr/original-bp-02-ak-saiga-vepr-low-profile-centered-side-mount-to-weaver-rail-w-black-finish.html
looks like one of the best made from user reviews.
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=0&productid=286
or
http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/laruetacticalak-irondot/laruetacticalak-irondot.html
but might stick with upgraded irons.

So let me know what you think and dont razz me to much :D

imanaknut
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
To MeanzMagnum, see if you can find a standard receiver cover. The AK cover was not designed to hold the weight of the scope. Also there are Romanian lowers in wood that have two different kind of vertical grips designed into them if you want a forward grip. I would highly recommend that.

It is always a shame when a seller doesn't tell you everything, but it sounds like most of the problems were with the after market stuff on the rifle and not the rifle itself.

To slamfire51, the guy she flew in with is USAF and when they opened the baggage compartment of the plane, he pulled out his M4 and Glock for us to play with too! Gotta like a guy like that. Plus he paid for the plane, and let me take it up for a while. Haven't piloted a plane in about 30 years so it was really a nice retirement gift!

MeanzMagnum
08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
What do you mean by standard receiver cover? Any links or how do I search it? I had a hellova time finding that cover. I wanted to stay more tactical with it but I have to find a good quality made vert grip. Thanks for the input, imanaknut.

slamfire51
08-31-2010, 01:59 PM
To slamfire51, the guy she flew in with is USAF and when they opened the baggage compartment of the plane, he pulled out his M4 and Glock for us to play with too! Gotta like a guy like that. Plus he paid for the plane, and let me take it up for a while. Haven't piloted a plane in about 30 years so it was really a nice retirement gift!

If my daughter got out of a plane with a guy with a Glock and M4, I'd welcome him too. LOL

J/K. Sounds like a cool guy letting an OLD retiree fly his plane.:laughingtohard:
Glad you enjoyed your time with them.

slamfire51
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
What do you mean by standard receiver cover? Any links or how do I search it? I had a hellova time finding that cover. I wanted to stay more tactical with it but I have to find a good quality made vert grip. Thanks for the input, imanaknut.

I believe he means the standard top cover that comes with most all AK's.
The only solution I've found for a rail mounted one, is I had to make one myself. I used a smooth Chinese top cover to make mine.
I also soldered 2 legs on the rear of the top cover to attach to the upper rear trunnion holes. ROCK SOLID.
This is one I got my idea from.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/topcover44444444.jpg

The 1st link you gave is a standard AK receiver cover.
2nd link, I'd never buy one.
3rd link, yes, an excellent mount.
4th link, looks interesting. Got a price?

MeanzMagnum
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Not sure the brand but I have one of the cheapie top cover "railed" mounts, It's junk!! I didn't even consider making my own railed top cover but might look into it now. What is entailed in doing it myself? I posted a link for the standard top cover cause I was wanting to side mount to a reg. top cover to get away from the railed tops. Do I have to go country specific for my top cover(i.e romanian because its a WASR 10) or can I throw a chines on like you did? Slamfire, why not the collapsible stock? I was considering it to give it a more tactical feel and look. I want to end up with a tactical AK and a traditional. And from what I gathered on the world wide web, looks to be around $285.00 for the Larue optic.

slamfire51
08-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Not sure the brand but I have one of the cheapie top cover "railed" mounts, It's junk!! I didn't even consider making my own railed top cover but might look into it now. What is entailed in doing it myself? I posted a link for the standard top cover cause I was wanting to side mount to a reg. top cover to get away from the railed tops. Do I have to go country specific for my top cover(i.e romanian because its a WASR 10) or can I throw a chines on like you did? Slamfire, why not the collapsible stock? I was considering it to give it a more tactical feel and look. I want to end up with a tactical AK and a traditional. And from what I gathered on the world wide web, looks to be around $285.00 for the Larue optic.

Any smooth Chinese top cover will work. You'll need a concaved bottom Picatinny rail. I had a guy make mine for $40.
The Russian side mount would be the logical option. They are made for AK's and look and function great

I don't like integrating AR parts on to an AK. But that's just me. My personal choice would be to look for an AK folder you like that will fit w/the std. AK fixed rear trunnion.

I kinda like the sight. As with most quality sights like that, they are too pricey for me.

imanaknut
08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Personally, I would put a Romanian side folder on the rifle if I wanted something more "tactical". Here is one of my Romanians, a CUR 2 which was one of the early imports with a Romanian side folder and one of the Romanian lower grips I spoke about earlier.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/CUR_2_finished.JPG

Yes the photo is gone. One day it was in my album, the next it was not. Really wish I knew what was going on with this site's photo host.

Edit:::: OK, so I decided to try to upload it to the membership gallery and had no problem! Can't upload to my private album but can to the public album!

slamfire51
08-31-2010, 05:47 PM
pic please.

imanaknut
08-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Why don't I believe you????? :naughty:

Update: I tried to re-upload it to our site, and it kept telling me the format was wrong, or the size was wrong. After shrinking it to about one pixel, I gave up.

slamfire51
08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Why don't I believe you????? :naughty:

I sure can't figure the gallery out.
I flat out GAVE UP!!!!

MeanzMagnum
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
So, we have progress. After much searching the net for a decent priced top cover($30+ shipping just wasn't doing it for me) I found a chinese one for only $14 shipped!! Slamfire, I like what you did with your AK(JB welding it) but I don't think I trust myself enough to do something of that caliber:oh-shit: I'd probably end up welding it at a slant.. I'm just goona stick with original top cover with side mount. My Q: Can I fit a Chinese top cover on my Wasr-10. Can't find anything online to really verify this.. And. when I took my AK out, I tried to shoot through the irons only to find out that they're off. Can't really say they're canted but they are off. I think I'm going to fin some replacements. Any ideas on this? Thanks again for the input!!:you-rock:

slamfire51
09-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Don't use JB Weld on firearms.
I used a pop rivet gun and steel rivets to attach the Picatinny rail and rear sight. The pop rivet gun and rivets are available at most hardware stores.
A Chinese top cover will fit. They fit my Romy, SAR 1 and AMD-65.

Is yours shooting high, low, left or right? More info needed.

MeanzMagnum
09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
You'll need a concaved bottom Picatinny rail. I had a guy make mine for $40.

Don't use JB Weld on firearms.
I used a pop rivet gun and steel rivets to attach the Picatinny rail and rear sight. The pop rivet gun and rivets are available at most hardware stores.
A Chinese top cover will fit. They fit my Romy, SAR 1 and AMD-65.

Is yours shooting high, low, left or right? More info needed.

About the concaved bottom picitanny rail, is your guy interested in making another $40? Did you experiment with the rivets yourself or did you find some instructions online? I like to have some detailed instructions on unfamiliar topics ,and like I said, AK's are relatively unfamiliar to me. If I were to rivet it, wouldn't that make my dust/top cover and receiver permanently fixed together? Couldn't I go with a chinese standard top and throw the side mount on without any issues? I'm taking the AK out tomorrow so I'll post specifics as to how off the sights are..

MeanzMagnum
09-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Canted rear sights. Didn't realize it now. BUT the good news is that the gas block isn't loose. I'm gonna search around and try to find a remedy for the irons.

AK-J
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Most of the time even AKs with canted sights can be adjusted to the proper zero. Sights adjust at the front. There's gotta be a "how to's" some where here or on other web sites.

Broondog
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
here's a site created by a long time member here that deals with pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about a Romanian AKM rifle.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model.htm

and FYI, a lot of the mechanics of the AKM style rifle are very similar, if not the same, across the spectrum (read countries of origin) and many parts are interchangeable. the Yugoslavian family of variants hold the most dis-similarities so watch yourself there.

just for instance, i have Polish wooden upper and lower hand guards on my Romanian WASR-10/63 underfolder. also notice that this rifle has a Russian bakelite mag inserted.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii365/broondog007/S6300216.jpg

MeanzMagnum
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Wow, thats a pretty sweet AK. The front furniture looks damn good! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely put that link in my favorites.

So, I got my "new" top cover in the mail last week. I had to VERY carefully, file down a little bit to make it fit. It was almost like the top cover didn't want to go on but had almost identical dimensions. It fits awesome now!! Thanks for you help everyone. Next up: fixing the p.o.s plastic, airsoft rails the dumbass before me put on the gun. Not a smart idea considering it melted the rail. Oh well, now I get to learn even more about my baby!! lol

imanaknut
09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
CUR-2 returned to it's original (almost) Romanian glory. Unfortunately to be completely original would require constitutional guarantees which we don't have.

Isn't this something!!!! I can upload it to the main gallery but cannot upload it to my private album. DUH!!!!

Broondog
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
very nice rifle Nut! :thumbsup:

and BTW, i'm sticking with Photobucket for now. the gallery is just too convoluted at the current moment.

Doberman
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I would return the rifle to it's original config. Wooden stocks, black US poly US pistol grip, if it has a side rail, use that for a scope. Also, I've seen millions of adds selling Romanian top covers...buy one. I've fired over 3k rounds through mine with out a problem. Only problem I have is that its post ban, no bayo lug, no threaded barrel. But the rifle works great. An AK is what it is, you wouldn't chrome the plow on a pick up truck, AK's are dirty, leave them that way. Or buy an AR. Good luck....

MeanzMagnum
09-23-2010, 01:32 AM
Not an AR guy so I'll stick to the chrome plow on the pick up. Why not? Great gun, great caliber. Mine as well.

Doberman
09-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Good deal...no disrespect with my last post..

insider
12-20-2010, 02:47 AM
CUR-2 returned to it's original (almost) Romanian glory. Unfortunately to be completely original would require constitutional guarantees which we don't have.

Isn't this something!!!! I can upload it to the main gallery but cannot upload it to my private album. DUH!!!!
That's a great looking Romanian, I see many like that over here.

slamfire51
12-20-2010, 08:56 AM
That's a great looking Romanian, I see many like that over here.

You wish.