PDA

View Full Version : Newbie AK47 owner with a few pictures and questions

ak47_eg
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi there,

I just bought this AK47, its my first. I owned a few guns H&K, Glock, S&W but its my first rifle.

I'm posting these pics first as it is a russian AK and i want to identify the model.

My questions:

1- need a DIY for repainting the gun
2- need a DIY to restore the wood also
3. the top handle on the gas chamber is a bit jiggly and i need help fixing it
4. there is a bit of a wobble in the ammo cartridge and i need help fixing that too
5. the gun itself fires like a champ, went through a 100+ rounds with no problem
6. any other mods or recommendations are welcome!

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=835&d=1313093116

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=836&d=1313093116

stinker
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
A very nice collectable milled receiver ak, looks really old, but it has one little teensie problem though...
It's a select fire machine gun.

The third pin holding the auto sear is in there.
Illegal as shit to have it.
The ATF *WILL* kick your door in for that rifle.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=833&d=1313092884
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/SignWolfman/TrirdPin.jpg

Full Otto
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
1st post w/fa =

http://i53.tinypic.com/2b4nld.jpg

imanaknut
08-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Actually that real deal AK47 might very well be legal in the country the owner lives in.

So many of us immediately believe ATF will drop on you like men in black from black helicopters when someone posts pictures of a real Automatic Kalashnikov in their possession, but forget that this website is world wide!!!

I believe the owner is in Egypt, where that rifle is legal since they don't have a right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed.

imanaknut
08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Now that I have said that, what you have appears to be a true Automatic Kalashinkov Type 3. Here in the United States, if we were allowed to one them, that would be a great treasure to those of us who collect such great rifles.

Now since it is an original AK, my personal feelings would be not to do a thing to the wood, it is original. Clean it up maybe, but do not try to refinish or repair the wood. If we in the USA ever get our rights back, people like me would love to have an original Kalashnikov in original condition, even if it is rough.

Do not refinish the metal either. Again, my feelings would be you should clean it up with a good gun oil if you can find any, but do not refinish it as again it would ruin any collector value assuming we collectors would ever be allowed to own one in the land of "shall not be infringed".

Congratulations on finding an original AK Type 3. That underfolder, if legal in the United States, would be worth anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000 US dollars.

stinker
08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Actually that real deal AK47 might very well be legal in the country the owner lives in.

So many of us immediately believe ATF will drop on you like men in black from black helicopters when someone posts pictures of a real Automatic Kalashnikov in their possession, but forget that this website is world wide!!!

I believe the owner is in Egypt, where that rifle is legal since they don't have a right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed.

Yep...My assumption was something like that :lool:

Full Otto
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm confused, according to these guys they can't own long guns over there but the going rate for an AK is $300.00 ( sucks to be us I guess)
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/egypt

The "red flag" was more for us and how we answer.
I remember the old place and these were usually a ploy that got to conversion questions. Threads like that were usually smacked down pretty quick.
May be nothing and if it's for real "must be nice"
But there is already a nice shot on third pin location with arrows which is fine and all but I just remember the old days

imanaknut
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I remember the good old days when we had more rights than we do today. I remember being offered an M16 for $250! Yes, $250 for a real rifle that if we bought it today would be at least $12,000 because we lost our rights. Today that rifle sells for about $1300 to those who are not infringed upon because they wear uniforms.

Sad that by government agreements, and then by unconstitutional rulings, we can not buy a rifle that in some countries sells all day long for a chicken and loaf of bread.

ak47_eg
08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the generous replies! glad i joined this group of nice enthusiasts :)

I live in Egypt, it is a select fire and i know it is illegal in the states, it is illegal here too but since the revolution started here and next door to libya weapons have flood the country like crazy.

It is legal to bear licensed arms here up to 7 pieces of firearm actually but only shotgun rifles and guns. Machine guns require a special license.

The guns here have went bezerk due to the security situation. I actually bought this for around $3,000 here, thats how in demand they are.

I'm glad i got a good piece though :))) I just need your help restoring it please! :)))))

Full Otto
08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Well in that case welcome aboard. you'll get the help you need here.
Keep us posted on what's going on over there if you can.
We could use some real news

imanaknut
08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
My suggestion to restore it would be to remove the handguards and pistol grip, and try to replace them with new Russian wood which is available. Keep the original wood in a safe place since in many places a true Kalashnikov is a prized weapon and having all the original parts is important.

If you can find American made Breakfree CLP, use it to clean and protect the metal of the rifle. Again, if the bluing is worn, leave it as it is because if we ever get our rights back in the USA, it would sell for a lot more than you paid for it.

For example, I found a fixed stock Automatic Kalashnikov that was "legally papered" according to our government. There are only a few in this country that can be sold to civilians, and the seller knew it. He was asking $50,000 for the rifle!!!! Real Russian AKs are something we AK lovers can only dream about owning.

One thing you have already found is that the AK had parts that were really loose. Look at the gas piston on the bolt carrier and you will find it loose. The bolt is loose in the carrier, the carrier is loose on the rails, the gas tube can be loose as well. We call the box that holds the ammo a magazine, and like everything else some of them have a lot of wobble and really don't lock in tight.

All this is what makes it such a reliable rifle.

ak47_eg
08-12-2011, 08:10 AM
So i should just order some handles online and install them? shouldn't re-blue the metal?

My suggestion to restore it would be to remove the handguards and pistol grip, and try to replace them with new Russian wood which is available. Keep the original wood in a safe place since in many places a true Kalashnikov is a prized weapon and having all the original parts is important.

If you can find American made Breakfree CLP, use it to clean and protect the metal of the rifle. Again, if the bluing is worn, leave it as it is because if we ever get our rights back in the USA, it would sell for a lot more than you paid for it.

For example, I found a fixed stock Automatic Kalashnikov that was "legally papered" according to our government. There are only a few in this country that can be sold to civilians, and the seller knew it. He was asking $50,000 for the rifle!!!! Real Russian AKs are something we AK lovers can only dream about owning.

One thing you have already found is that the AK had parts that were really loose. Look at the gas piston on the bolt carrier and you will find it loose. The bolt is loose in the carrier, the carrier is loose on the rails, the gas tube can be loose as well. We call the box that holds the ammo a magazine, and like everything else some of them have a lot of wobble and really don't lock in tight.

All this is what makes it such a reliable rifle.

Solidus-snake
08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I think once you get the handguards and pistol grip on there, clean it up real good with a quality gun cleaner, you will be pretty impressed with your rifles appearances.

I am happy for you man, I wish we were really as free here in the States as we let on like we are.

Stay safe over there man, Im glad you have such a fine weapon to defend yourself with.

stinker
08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
So i should just order some handles online and install them? shouldn't re-blue the metal?
No. Do NOT refinish the metal. That rifle has extra value to a collector simply because of it's age and the outstanding condition that it's in. This is the case with all old firearms. If you reblue the metal it destroys the value from the aged appearance. The grip and stock are temporary parts and you can put the original wood (that you should NEVER get rid of) back on any time you want. If our laws ever change like some of us want them to you would be able to sell that for a large amount of money. That rifle as it is right now could easily sell in the U.S. to a collector for up to 298,075 EGP at the current EGP to USD exchance rate. You have a treasure. Unfortunately there is no way you could sell that in the U.S. at this time because it's importation is illegal especially because it's a full auto rifle. We have very stupid gun laws in effect.

Another example is a rifle that was finished by a processs called "parkerized" and was also long term stored in a grease called cosmoline. It causes the fnish to turn a very pleasing green instead of gray. When that happens naturally the value of the weapon goes higher. Newer looking does not necessarily mean worth more unless it's a new item. Allways maintain antiques in original condition as much as possible. Clean it and oil it but don't try to make it look "like new" again.

videodon
08-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Do NOT REFINISH THE METAL!!!
:)
Nice rifle...drool!
:)

O.S.O.K.
08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi there,

I just bought this AK47, its my first. I owned a few guns H&K, Glock, S&W but its my first rifle.

I'm posting these pics first as it is a russian AK and i want to identify the model.

My questions:

1- need a DIY for repainting the gun (as said, do not refinish the gun!!!)
2- need a DIY to restore the wood also (simply dissasemble and clean thoroughly with boiled linseed oil - not raw linseed oil "boiled". You can use something like a kitchen scrubber - mild kind to help loosen dirt, but don't scrub the finish off!)
3. the top handle on the gas chamber is a bit jiggly and i need help fixing it (this is not supposed to fit tightly - it is supposed to have a little wobble)
4. there is a bit of a wobble in the ammo cartridge and i need help fixing that too (same here - you say it is running fine, leave this alone! - if you want a tighter fitting mag, purchase some Bulgarian circle 10 marked polymer mags - they will fit tighter)
5. the gun itself fires like a champ, went through a 100+ rounds with no problem (again, just field-strip and clean the parts and oil with a good quality gun lube)
6. any other mods or recommendations are welcome! (check the screws for tightness - if any are loose/stripped in the wood, then use some wood glue in the holes to reinforce the area - you can also simply instert a wooden toothpick and break it off - and that will often tighten things up enough)

That's a beautiful example of an early Russian AK! You are really lucky to have that - hope you don't run into any trouble or get caught!

Post more pics after you get it cleaned up!

ak47_eg
08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow thanks for the overwhelming feed back! :)

Ok as you guys said i won't refinish the metal but i at least wanna get some nice woden handles to waiting the early ak look, any idea where i can order some online?

I'm in the process of cleaning it thoroughly and oiling it, will post more detailed pics soon :)

Just purchased an extra original ak magazine as a back up and am getting a lot of ammo tomorrow morning so i'll try and film the gun firing and post it for you guys too :)

Can I buy an original ak knife (don't really know the name of the knife that goes on the barrel!) online?

imanaknut
08-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Don't worry about slight language differences. At least those of us who understand have no problem telling you the knife that fits under the muzzle of an AK is known as a bayonet.

Most of us are just jealous that you have something that we can only dream about.

You might check Gunbroker, an online auction house that specializes in firearms and parts. I have seen many listings for true Russian parts. The only thing I would worry about is how easy is it to bring things into your country from Russia or any import laws that might lead to you getting into trouble. I would be very careful buying AK parts on the internet if I were in Egypt myself.

Funny, we have a lot of problems getting parts from Russia here in the United States.

FunkyPertwee
08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
You need more than one spare mag. An automatic weapon is not much use without lots of mags and ammo, and a means to carry it in case you have to walk out of town. I recommend ten magazines or more, plus mag pouches.

You'll want a cleaning rod made out of something softer than steel. You'll want rags to cut into patches, oil and cleaner. If you have to, you can use diesel as cleaner and motor oil for lube.

I would also try to find an importable AK stock set. Make sure you look for a set meant for a MILLED rifle, and not a stamped AKM derivative. If you want it to be classy, get wood.

The most utilitarian gun coating I know of is duracoat. I would really, REALLY hate to hear about a guncoated Soviet AK-47, but if you think its going to be a total shit-hit-the-fan situation then go for it.

I have no idea how bad the situation is over there, but if your in fear for your life then fuck collector's value.

AK-47
02-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Awesome AK, I even like the well used look, keep'er the way she is!